Virginia
Options

VA Beach venues! :)

Hi! My fiance and I are wanting to begin our search for ceremony/reception venues and are hoping to book something by the end of the summer. I have my eye on the Lesner Inn because it's waterside (our wedding is beach theme) and it's not too expensive. However, I know that I should probably have some other options in mind just in case this place doesn't work out! I was wondering if ya'll had any suggestions for other waterside, affordable venues? Also, I am wondering if anyone can tell me anything about the Yacht Club at Marina Shores or the Oceana Officer's Club? Thanks in advance for your help!! :) 

Re: VA Beach venues! :)

• Options
    edited December 2011

Lesner is very nice, have you actually been to see it?  Inside and the surrounding establishments, parking, etc.  Do you have an estimate number on guests attending?  I looked at the Lesner for 180, and it could have been done, but we would have had guest seated in totally different areas, closed off from the "reception".

Grand Affairs is nice.  The reception is not waterfront, but the ceremony can be.  And other than paying for cake and photography, they pretty much cater everything else, flowers, the food, etc. 

Thats all I can help you out with.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Three that we looked into near Va Beach
    Sheraton Norfolk Waterside - not on the beach and not a 'pretty' water view either, but a very nice hotel; parking issue though
    Hilton Garden Inn Suffolk Riverfront
    Half Moon and Nauticus in Norfolk

Ones at the Va Beach Oceanfront:
    Cavalier - $$$$$
    Virginia Beach Resort Hotel
    Waterman's Beachwood Grill (less than 100 guests)

I would also suggest google mapping the Va Beach oceanfront for more hotels. I know there are two Courtyard Marriots as well as a couple other Marriots and a Hilton. I didn't talk to any of them about weddings though, so I don't know if they have banquet space.

I did talk to Marina Shores, but they were over my budget. Taking out the floral centerpieces is only 500 off and the photographer is only 600. I didn't ask about the cake, but basically the core of the package is unchangeable and kinda pricy in my opinion.

Hope that helped!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea, I totally agree about Marina Shores. I looked into them as well and I did not like the fact that you basically had to just go with what they had and couldn't customize it really at all. We are actually going to go look at Half Moone as well..my dad found that place and so we just need to go take a look at it.....it looks beautiful! I'm from the area so I know pretty much where everything is but I just am trying to find places that people know about as far as weddings! :) 

Jen, I will definitely take a look at Grand Affairs, thank you! And I went to take a look at Lesner Inn and I loved it! We won't be having near the amount you are lol so the space was perfect for us. It is definitely on the top of my list right now!! :) 
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    You mentioned the officer's club at Oceana.  Are you or FI Military or have someone who can sponsor you?

If so check out Shifting Sands at Dam Neck.  It's right on the ocean.  We ended up going with Snug Harbor at Little Creek, it is a little cheaper than Dam Neck and we didn't care about the ocean. 

I loved Lesner Inn too, the way they did the ceremony was a drawback for me.  With having our reception at Little Creek we decided to use the base chapel for our Ceremony.

Also check out the Lighthouse On the Cove.  Not beach but it is on the water and your guest can drive or boat to your wedding.  It's on Laskin on the way to the ocean front.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also..if you are looking at military bases...  Im having mine at Cape Henry Inn and Officers Club...its on Fort Story base off Shore dr.  There is a reception room fee...but if you meet the food fee of 2,000 then the room is free.  There is a seperate room great for the ceremony and ceremony fee of $200.  The good thing is...is that the ceremony fee goes towards your food fee...sooo...in total...2,000 for ceremony room, reception hall and food budget...    check it out..hope it helps ;)
  • Options
    dcbowmandcbowman member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey :) We drove all the way down from Ohio to look at a few places in VA Beach:

The Cavalier - way over priced and in desperate need for a renovation - which was disappointing considering the amazing view of the ocean from their Orion room. This was our reason for coming down - and to see the chips in the paint, dirty floors and outdated decor was heartbreaking... to say it's "historic" looking is being very generous

Sheraton Oceanfront - the room was nice, blue and yellow, no windows though so there was no way to tell that you were at a wedding at the beach (incase that is important to you) however - Jennifer the catering manager is awesome, so friendly and organized. I've read other reviews and they say she is fabulous to work with. The prices are pretty reasonable also..

Grand Affairs - they have a nice set up for their beach weddings and the catering manager Helena is really nice and easy going.Their reception rooms are nice too - and it is pretty much a total package (minus the cake) and pretty affordable.  Plus they will set everything up and tear down - even the extra items you bring.

We didn't have an appointment at Lesner Inn but went over anyway and checked it out - the view is really pretty - but it's on an inlet and not very beachy

Check out Virgina Beach Resort and Conference Center - it's pretty close to Lesner Inn - they have a pretty decent package also.

Good Luck! Happy Hunting!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm also looking at venues in Va Beach :)  We think we found ours last night!!  It's called the Water Table and just opened the first of this year- it's on Rudee Inlet.  I'm in love with the location and the windows overlooking the water.  Keep in mind it's not the beach though- it's a marina view.

Upsides are beautiful view of marina, neutral color pallett, all brand new, you can hire your own caterer (they support 5 different ones), nice location within short distance of beach hotels and reasonable price.

Downsides are no outside area (FI wanted an outside cocktail hour) and no onsite ceremony area, which if you're getting married in a church won't matter.  Oh and you have to rent your own chairs, linens, etc but tables are included. 

Limit on number is 175 for seated dinner (we're looking at keeping it below 150 so we're good).

They have no website yet but already have had one wedding a month since March, and have a bunch booked for the fall and through August of 2011.  We're booking for September 2011.

We both liked the Lesner but have been to two weddings there and 75% of our guests will have already been to a wedding there.  I also wasn't a big fan of using their provided caterer.  If I hadn't been there before we would have likely looked seriously at them though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I liked the Va Beach Resort Hotel. I actually just looked there the other day to potentially have my wedding ceremony and reception at. I looked at Norfolk Waterside Marriott also, but was not very impressed. I have a small budget so alot of places are totally out of the question for me. I am going next week to look at the Barclay Towers at the Oceanfont and the Ramada at the Beach at the Oceanfront.. so good luck to all of you guys in Va. Beach looking for locations. Me and my Fiance don't want an outdoor ceremony butthat really limits us around here because its either beach or churches and we are not hip on either... lol.. GOOD LUCK TO ALL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My venue is also The Water Table! But I'm using the Marina Shores package (they let me substitute venue for a little more $$). Don't be discouraged that they have the vendors picked for you. For things like photographers, etc...They ARE flexible. They just try to be loyal. I decided to give all of their vendors a chance because I've heard good things about them. So far Black Iris Floral is awesome and Mrs B got RAVE reviews. I'm getting ready to do tasting for the caterer now.
    The Lesner was nice...I called them. The bar package is a little pricey. I'd rather do customer-supplied. It saves some $$...Especially if you have a Stock-The-Bar party. Downside: The woman at the Lesner told me you have to clean up yourself. You know, the stuff you bring like centerpieces and such. I said NO thanks. I refuse to subject any of my guests to cleaning and I know I wont be in any shape to do it. Maybe they've changed that. I dont know. The Lesner is a great place, though. Good luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I recently got married and had my reception at Marina Shores Yacht Club.. I was able to customize anything I wanted.. I changed the flowers, the tablecloths, added food, picked the type of cake I wanted.. They were very accomodating and I was able to have the things that I wanted. The staff were excellent!!
    My flowers were $250, cake was $250.  The food is the most exepnsive for sure, but I added a couple of things to my menu, but still didn't put me much over the $5k, especially since all the vendors are in together.. it made my wedding day a lot smoother for sure!

The VB Resort Hotel is quite awesome and I would highly recommned there as well.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    yea I really enjoyed walking through the Va Beach Resort Hotel. Me and my Fiance are going back later this month to look at it set up for a wedding to get a better feel for the space like it could potentially be set up for our wedding. So I am excited. It does get a little frustrating when you feel like you can't find a space. But I am going next week to look at two other places so hopefully that will help me narrow it down or officially pick a site...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, Lesner is beautiful, especially when you look at the pics on the web of the sunset.  Picture perfect!  If it wasn't for the food minimum, we would have booked Lesner.. 

I hope it helps you.  I have other prices and info on Lesner that I got from one of the girls that works there if you want it.

But yes, if you bring anything of your own, you have to break it down yourself.  The only thing they breakdown is their tables, chairs, linens, etc.

Good luck!
  • Options
    MelG06MelG06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

the Mariott in Norfolk is waterfront... it's really nice, and fairly easy on the wallet.

I LOVE the Founders Inn, but it's kinda pricey and not waterfront.

Good luck!

Photobucket
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Iweiner, not sure what your price range is but the Greenbriar Country Club has an indoor ceremony option.  It's on Volvo between Kempsville and Greenbriar.  I loved the event coordinator there. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    a friend of mine got married at this park over by Cox HS and had the reception at the Renisanse Room it was absolutely georgous... the park is waterfront on the Elizabeth River and The Renaissance Room wasnt exactly waterfront but it was beautiful and the food was pretty good... if you wanna check out something that isnt at the beach and a lil more private but still have that water effect
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married at the Lesner Inn in April...we are super excited, but just pay attention to the prices.  Depending on what day Friday or Saturday there is a larger food/beverage minimum.  You can't bring your own alcohol, everything is provided by them.  You pay per hour per person for the open bar...the more you want the more expensive it is (we are doing domestic beer and wine, but liquor or imported beeer or wine is more expensive per hour).  Our guest count is only about 90 people so we have the waterside deck and old henry room (downstairs only).  We are really excited because the venue truly is beautiful, you just have to weigh all the options/budget.
  • Options
    bbx30333bbx30333 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are getting married at the yact club at Marinia Shores . It is getteing a face lift all new ball room chairs new flowers dance floors chandlier new bar new drapiers
    They have agreat package its under 10g for 100 people with everything.
    I was able to get my food , cake and photos
    black Iris helped me with lighting chair sahes for the  new chairs table linens tall flowers arrangements and a candy bar for less then $1500 more.
    They where awsome helping me and they ae getting a new room that hold like 250  people down stairs with a brand new car port and lots of real nice new things .  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all so much! We've actually decided on a July wedding at the Sheraton down at the oceanfront!! SO EXCITED! :):) 
  • Options
    tiffkae10tiffkae10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I was looking to see if anyone had ideas for the Sheraton Oceanfront. (We will be having our wedding there in a few months!) I am having a hard time with photography and florists. Any Advice RanD6??

Advice on anything is welcome. Thanks!! Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards