Virginia

Outdoor Wedding...in August?

Just a quick question, asking opinions of my fellow Knotties.

My fiance and I are looking to get married at the Marriott in Dulles (we managed to get a great deal out of them so they still work in our $7000 budget), and they have an outdoor wedding ceremony location that's really pretty.

However...is it wise to have an outdoor wedding in early August? We were leaning towards having a later wedding, around 4 or 5, but is it still too hot outside for a wedding? I'm somewhat new to Virginia so I'm not really sure how intense the summers can be.

If we shouldn't have the wedding outside...does anyone know any venues near the Dulles airport that can host our ceremony only?

Re: Outdoor Wedding...in August?

• 4 or 5 is the hottest part of the day.  In August, it could be scorchingly hot.   As long as your ceremony is short, and you have a shaded (or air conditioned) place for guests to hang out until a few minutes before the ceremony starts, it would probably be okay.   It would be nice to provide cool drinks, and there are some really cute fan-shaped programs you can buy/make.    If you have any really old guests, I would maybe reconsider.

However, if your venue can accomodate an indoor ceremony, maybe you could use that as a back-up and make a game-day decision based on weather?   Anything above 90 degrees I think I'd move inside.

Or, you could move your ceremony back to like 6:30 or 7.  In August you'll still have plenty of daylight, and it'll be a lot cooler.
    DSC_9275
  • August in Virginia is like living in a sauna. I would really try to avoid having an outdoor ceremony at that time year. Even at 7pm, it's going to be very humid and uncomfortable. 

If you really want that outdoor ceremony, I would work your wedding plans backwards: Plan to have an indoor ceremony with an outdoor backup if they weather is nice enough for your guests. Remember that even with a very short ceremony your guests are going to arrive 15-20 minutes before it starts and have to wait a few minutes after it ends for the WP to do their recessional. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • phew....thats going to be HOT!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I agree with everyone above...odds are guests (and you!) will be miserable outside in the heat and won't be able to enjoy the ceremony. I'd work with your venue to find an air conditioned space and use the outdoor space as an option only if the weather turns out to be nice. You could still get some great pictures of you and the groom, bridal party etc in the pretty outdoor area so you could still use it for something!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards