Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

Bridal Show Scam!

Soooo, I went to the bridal show today and of course signed up for a zillion different registry/ giveaways and will probably be needing to make a new e-mail address in the next week because I know I will get massive volumes of junk mail now.

Anyways, I got a call tonight from a (913) area code and it's some cheesy guy saying I won 2 prizes from the show- a set of toasting flutes and a 3 day trip. So, initially I was excited... For about 7 seconds. Then he started saying that FI and I had to drive out to Arlington sit for an HOUR AND A HALF and listen to some presentation. By that time I was getting suspicious, he then urges me to make an appointment so in the haste of the moment, I did. We got off of the phone and I thought, "SCAM!" So being the curious and snoopy googler that I am, I googled the phone number and found out that the company is "Celebrity China" and read the HORRIBLE reviews that they have gotten all over the internet. Pretty much every one that I read said how much of a scam the company is.

So just wanted to share that with everyone in case you get a phone call so you dont waste a night of your life getting ripped off!

Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
"The things I've done, the places I've been, just don't compare to the love I'm in, it beats all I've ever seen."

Re: Bridal Show Scam!

• edited December 2011
    I pretty much just don't answer the phone after Bridal Shows. The same exact guy called me and left a message and I knew it wasn't real! That's one thing I hate about bridal shows is sometimes I am giving people my info when I really don't want to, but I feel bad.
    Disclaimer: Please excuse the above comment. I'm probably freaking out because there is less than one month to go. Thank you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Our Huge Planning Blog :) * Updated 06/11

July 2011 Bride
  • edited December 2011
    I got the same phone call too saying they were something brides! I had to go to ft worth to watch a demo and do a survey. From there I would win 1000.00 in cupons I can use on popular house hold names...and then a vacation. We couldn't go to the demo anyways cus of work. I guess they called everyone who signed up for their list!!!

NOT COOL!!!
  • edited December 2011
    On mine they said they were from "Celebrity"
    Disclaimer: Please excuse the above comment. I'm probably freaking out because there is less than one month to go. Thank you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

July 2011 Bride
  • Tia_ChicaTia_Chica member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got a call like that last night, it was a 615 area code. After she said that we won a trip but we just had to go to a 90 min presentation, I hung up on her.
  • seujoanneseujoanne member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hope none of y'all signed up for the wheel spin, or whatever he used this time, that was for Direct Buy.  Literally five calls a DAY until I threatened to sue them for harrassment.
  • edited December 2011
    The only wheel I spun was at the FW Bridal show a few weeks ago for Al's Formal Wear. I won the highest discount so I put my refundable 10 dollar deposit to go towards the tuxes. We will see how that goes.. hope Al's is reputable!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

July 2011 Bride
  • edited December 2011

I got the same call a while back. I told them we were busy and couldn't make it. They said they would call back the next time they were in town and I haven't heard anything since!

I wish I could have gone to the bridal show yesterday, but there was just too much going on. Was it worth it?

• edited December 2011
    Ya just don't answer!  If they want your business they will leave a message!  Gotta love the scams from the bridal shows! NOT!
  • MLandCJMLandCJ member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ya, I learned along time ago to stay away from Celebrity China and Prestige Cookware.

That guy is ruthless.

When my friend was getting married and I was the MOH I went and signed up for some free stuff and low and behold I won a free honeymoon. I didn't go, because I had googled it before hand. What a shame, I was excited.

Did you also know that when you registry up front for the main grand prize that they sell that list to vendors for a *small* fee?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_bridal-show-scam?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:14a95f93-2087-44fc-999a-bc843e411507Post:7f986db9-114a-4299-bfba-f767da2724ef">Re: Bridal Show Scam!</a>:
    [QUOTE]The only wheel I spun was at the FW Bridal show a few weeks ago for Al's Formal Wear. I won the highest discount so I put my refundable 10 dollar deposit to go towards the tuxes. We will see how that goes.. hope Al's is reputable!
    Posted by AmberMarieTX[/QUOTE]

I got the same thing from Al's (the $100 off of every order or something like that)and also put down the $10 deposit. I signed up for so  many random things that I don't need and probably won't use any of them!
    "The things I've done, the places I've been, just don't compare to the love I'm in, it beats all I've ever seen."
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_bridal-show-scam?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:14a95f93-2087-44fc-999a-bc843e411507Post:4f75d5ba-172f-431a-b8ee-028eda1d6e3d">Re: Bridal Show Scam!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wish I could have gone to the bridal show yesterday, but there was just too much going on. Was it worth it?
    Posted by DFWIndian[/QUOTE]

I already have pretty much all my vendors so, not really! I think they are more helpful for people who are newly engaged and just starting their search. I didn't really see anything new that I haven't seen. I had fun with my mom and FMIL though, so it wasn't a total waste! (:
  • edited December 2011
    I have received 3 calls total from Celebrity since the bridal show yesterday.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

July 2011 Bride
  • edited December 2011
    UGH! What a pain! When I was looking at all the complaints about the company after I googled them a bunch of girls said that they would tell them that the wedding was off and that is the only way they stopped calling and harassing them! Sooo, when they call me again, which they haven't but I fully expect them to, that will be my response!
  • edited December 2011

It was fun....we're still needing lmos/cakes/stationary! The fashion show was fun-those little boys were too cute!!! Two of the models...omg!

• edited December 2011
    Actually those "prizes" are pretty common at Bridal Shows, fairs, and even those "win a car" contests in the mall.

A plus would be, if there is one, is if you actually sit through their presentation and sometimes extreme hard selling... you'll get the prize. 

I've never attended them, but my future SIL went to one with her husband to check it out and they received a 3 day cruise.  The only catch after they survived the hard sell was they had to take the cruise on certain dates.  They picked an available date and from they said they had a great time!

I like dogs, but not to eat
    Photobucket

10-10-10 here we come!

Anniversary

Kelly's BIO-Hazard

• edited December 2011
    call me crazy but what is a hard sale?
  • edited December 2011
    My girlfriend advised me not to put down your phone number when attending the show. I am glad I did. I received so much SPAM via my email.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards