Ohio-Toledo

DJ- what to look for?

Okay, so this might sound like a really dumb or obvious question, but I honestly know nothing about djs. Tonight, I went and saw two different djs play at two different weddings. What am I looking for in a dj? What makes one dj better than the other? What makes a good dj in general? Everyone tells me that the dj will make or break the reception, but honestly I feel like all they do is annouce things and play music, so how can they mess it up? I obviously don't get out alot (haha).
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: DJ- what to look for?

• edited December 2011
    Look for someone who isn't annoying or cheesy.  A bad DJ can really draw lots of attention to himself, and that rubs a lot of people the wrong way.  IMO, you really shouldn't notice that he's there unless he's making some of the necessary announcements.  You also want someone who is able to read the crowd and makes good choices about what to play next.  That way, he'll be able to keep the party going.
  • edited December 2011
    I felt the same way. But we had the same DJ do several weddings in our family and each one was different. One wedding NO ONE danced, the other people partied all night. The third one he was VERY interactive because  they were personal friends of him(he sang and it was awesome) But I talked to the owner of Ultimate nights about this and he said it is really all about YOU. If You are dancing they will too. I think some of it is the age of the crowd although like I said for 3 weddings I went to at least half the crowd was the same and the same DJ. Something I also noticed is it depends on the set up of the wedding. You definitely want the tables AROUND the dance floor if you can pick as opposed to the dance floor being on the opposite side of the room. That way people do not have to walk so far to get to it. Even though they are cheesy line dance get people going or songs EVERYONE knows like we are family or YMCA, Hang on sloopy etc.

Sorry I rambled...This is just something I was very concerned about when planning. Im 4 weeks out and just went to a wedding  this weekend so I saw it all put into actionLaughing
  • cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-toldeo_dj-look?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:237Discussion:151263d0-4aae-4b40-b595-4c7407f2c7e3Post:a84d9767-f6f4-43a7-abdd-3c09a7fa57b0">Re: DJ- what to look for?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I felt the same way. But we had the same DJ do several weddings in our family and each one was different. One wedding NO ONE danced, the other people partied all night. The third one he was VERY interactive because  they were personal friends of him(he sang and it was awesome) But I talked to the owner of Ultimate nights about this and he said it is really all about YOU. If You are dancing they will too. I think some of it is the age of the crowd although like I said for 3 weddings I went to at least half the crowd was the same and the same DJ. Something I also noticed is it depends on the set up of the wedding. You definitely want the tables AROUND the dance floor if you can pick as opposed to the dance floor being on the opposite side of the room. That way people do not have to walk so far to get to it. <strong>Even though they are cheesy line dance get people going or songs EVERYONE knows like we are family or YMCA, Hang on sloopy etc.</strong> Sorry I rambled...This is just something I was very concerned about when planning. Im 4 weeks out and just went to a wedding  this weekend so I saw it all put into action
    Posted by CoCo'sMommy[/QUOTE]

I second this.  Regardless of who you choose for a DJ, I would make sure that there are several of these kind of songs are thrown into your mix.  I am NOT a dancer, but even I'll get up for the YMCA or the Cha Cha Slide.  The dance floor at our reception was by far the most full when these kind of songs were playing.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • akirkenakirken member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards