Ohio-Toledo
Options

Large-size MIL dress??

Ok, so this is a sensitive topic, but I really need help.  I have no idea where to get a dress for my FI's mother.  She's a very large size.  I've looked at Lane Bryant and she's too big for the largest size, and dress shops don't carry sizes that big either.  There's hardly any dress shops in this town, so looking for a dress here is difficult too.  A custom dress is probably not an option as FI and I are buying her dress and have a strict budget.  I don't want to put her in a horrible, shapless mumu, but I don't know where to look!  Help please!

Re: Large-size MIL dress??

• Options
    Linds565Linds565 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What size is she approximately? I would look at Atlas and Gallippo's. I kinda had a similiar problem with making sure my bridesmaid dresses were large enough because I have 2 girls who are larger. Atlas can order things up to a size 28. Not sure on Gallippo's, but I am sure they would be willing to order it if they could. Maybe you could visit a local tailor or seamstress and have something made as well. The biggest problem is gonna be the price for the excess material. If you bought the material somewhere and had someone make the dress, I think that would be your best option price wise.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I found a few websites that might help

www.plussizebridal.com - they carry up to a 32 and can make larger ones if needed

www.sydneyscloset.com - they have dresses up to a 44 and some of the cocktail dresses and stuff are priced really well

www.therosedress.com - has dresses up to 6x and are priced really well
    *looks like best option*

Hope that helps. We all have those special and hard to fit people in our lives !!! Good luck
  • Options
    Angelmc8Angelmc8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the suggestions!  I'll definitely check them out.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

You could try Pam Thomas in the area she does alterations and make custom dress's, her price's are great. In the long run it may seem a little more expensive but by time you add in the cost of a dress plus alterations, you usually come out cheaper having it made. I would check with her on a price before you completely rule out getting a custom dress made that would fit great and look perfect.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards