Ohio-Toledo

Photographers

Hello All,

I am starting to look into photographers and I wanted to see who you all are using/used.

So...
Who are/did you use?
Why did you pick that photographer?
What is in your package?
How much are you paying?

Any photographers that you have heard to stay away from?

Thanks Ladies and Happy Planning!
Anniversary

Re: Photographers

• MerinMerin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For our engagement and wedding photos, we used New Image Photography (www.niphoto.com).  For my TTD pictures, I used Everlasting Images (www.everlastingimages.biz).

New Image had done several of my friends' weddings and I liked their work.  They were also very straightforward with everything, and the disc of full-res images & copyright release is included in every package - that was very important to me! 
    Everlasting Images has an incredible artsy style that I just ADORE.  They're really fun to work with and take incredible pictures. 

With New Image, we had a total of 5 people with us on the day of the wedding because we did Photos and Video with them.  We got somewhere around 2,000 images and a really awesome video.  Our package also included 600 proofs in a book/album as well as a nicely done album (we upgraded to the storyboook style).  I want to say the total for everything was somewhere around $2,500, though I don't remember for sure. 

My general motto with photography is that you get what you pay for.  If you hire a photographer and they only charge $600 or so, expect to get $600 quality photos (which isn't much in the photography world!!)   So while there aren't any photographers that I could say specifically to stay away from, just make sure you research carefully and don't be afraid to splurge a little bit - you won't regret it!    Oh, and be sure to ask to see an ENTIRE wedding or two from the photographer(s) you're considering.  Their presentation albums are only going to show the very best photos from any particular wedding - you want to see ALL of their work. :):)

Good Luck!! :)
    Causes that are important to me: Planned Pethood Graham's Foundation NOCC
  • nyreknyrek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Merin that you tend to get what you pay for.  We spent months researching photographers.  Everyone that we really liked in terms of quality was WAY out of our price range.  Everyone we could afford looked as though I just had a neighbor taking shots with their digital.

But I kept searching! And after months and about 45 pages into my Google search...I came across "Love is Greater Photography."  I was really impressed with their work...and I loved reading about them as a company.  Something just clicked...and I set up the appointment.

Base price: $1500
    Includes 2 photographers, six hours, color correction and retouching, online print store, next day B&G session should need arise, digital negatives with limited (personal) reprint rights.

Plus we added on: $200 Engagement session, but we ran out of time so we're turning that into a post wedding session.

I can order the professional prints and books from them...but will also be able to print my own from the digital negatives.  They are a really awesome team!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Sarah J Photography - www.sarahjphoto.net.  Sarah was our photographer in November 2008.  Mary Wyar was Sarah's associate photographer then, but she now has her own business as well - www.marywyar.com.

Pictures from our wedding are in my Married Bio.

We picked Sarah because we loved her style and her work.  She was friendly and fun as well.
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm gonna use New Image photography. Final price is $1795.  I think that covers 8 hours of time, and I own the rights to the images.  I think I got some thank you cards, and a collage too or something.  I can't remember off the top of my head what it all included.
    ---------
    Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I am using Northstar Photography and Design.  They chose us, kind of.  I posted on another wedding website were you can tell about your wedding and vendors will contact you.  John responded to it saying he would stay in my price range because he thought it would be a good opportunity for him.  So my package is a bit custom done and I can build to it whenever.  We are getting 2 photographers and all of our pictures on DVD for $1000.  FI and I both know photoshop very well and don't mind doing our pictures to save on cost.  That being said we will be ordering a professional book and other prints at the end.  So our final cost will be around 1500 probably.  Like I said they normally start higher, but we ended up having a ton in common.  They are in Livonia, MI but are not charging to come down to Toledo.
  • rak123rak123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    What website?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • wifeytobzwifeytobz member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    check out www.erinhecklerphotography.com .  i just wrote this on another post lol but she is doing our wedding and has done newborn photos for our daughter and we did family photos with her a month ago and her work is great, she is so friendly and willing to work with you on what you want and i have not seen a photographer that charges less than her :)
  • Angelmc8Angelmc8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm using Everlasting Images.  They have a more artsy style, but that's what I was looking for. They also gave us a good deal on the rights to the engagement photos.  They include a CD with all  your images in their packages and they even recommend good places to get photos and albums done.  I think we're paying $1600 for 10 hrs.   So far we've only had engagement pics done, but we've gotten tons of compliments on them and I think we had about 200 photos taken, which I think is more than most other photogs.

I suggest scouring the internet.  I spent weeks looking up photographers and met several in person.  You'll have to look through a ton to find what you want, but it's definitely worth it.  I also suggest meeting them in person and seeing if you click with that photographer's personality as well.

Good luck!
  • k22tk22t member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we used new image for our wedding pics and sara j for my trash the dress session.  
    Kris....I'm finally a Mrs! 10/11/08
  • edited December 2011
    I am absolutely in love with our photographer. She is the sweetest, most personable person and defintely will work her hardest to capture the most special moments of your big day! Our wedding hasn't taken place yet, but the pictures in her gallery are all amazing and our engagement session is scheduled for next month. She has many different packages available and you can purchase some parts separately to customize your package more. Here is her website: www.smithgalleryphotography.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards