Ohio-Toledo
Options

QOTD 5/18

Did you register for gifts?  Where?

Also, how do you feel about registries like this http://www.honeyfund.com/ ?
imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: QOTD 5/18

• Options
    cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know I'm one of the few people that feel this way, but I hate the idea of registries so we didn't register anywhere.  I feel rude telling people what they should buy us.  Our families buy us christmas gifts every year, but I can't imagine the looks we would get if we registered for christmas gifts.  Why is one more acceptable than the other?  We received some slack for this decision, but I still stand by it. 

I hate BBB.  If I registered, I would have probably gone to Target and a home improvement store like Menards.

As for the honeymoon registries, they get a bad rap on some of the international boards I read.  The number one reason being that you shouldnt ask your guests to pay for your honeymoon.  a) Gift giving is optional.  b) Giving to this registry is optional. c) why is registering to furnish your home more acceptable?  I do not buy that people have everything and that's why they register for a honeymoon instead.  However, I do understand that maybe some couples would rather have a honeymoon than upgrade their towels.  I don't see anything wrong with that.  Yes, this registry is not traditional and I would have another registry at a traditional store as well... but I don't have a problem with them like other people seem to (in terms of registries that is).
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We haven't registered yet, or even really talked about were we will register.  However, I think we will do the honeymoon registry in addition to a couple stores.  We both had our own places before we got together and really do have everything we could every want.  I hate the thought of people buying us stuff we don't need. 

I would rather people register for every holiday.  Gift buying is so hard as it is.  I'd rather people register or have wish lists for things they really want and just to make it easier.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that. --Michael Leunig-- Planning Bio
  • Options
    nyreknyrek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We registered...after much hesitation and debate.

FI and I live together and didn't feel we really "needed" to register.  Family totally freaked...like we were blown away by how bad we got our butt's reamed for not registering!  So we did to shut them up.  Then it got kind of fun...we registered at BBB and Target...fo no other reason than we figured everyone knew of those places so it would be easy for them.

But we never stepped foot in a store...we just did everything online. Never noticed that 90% of what we registered for was "online only" stuff!!!  Wow...did that piss some people off.

Now we set up a donation site for the Sea Shepards Conservation Society. Makes us and everyone else happy!  :)

As for honeymoon accounts...can't stand the idea.  "Hey, please help send us away on our week-long sex trip!"  Just rude.  The idea of registering or receiving household items are for keepsakes, momentos, and for helping a newlywed couple start out their new home with some items necessary to have in a household.  A honeymoon is a trip for the couple to enjoy time alone as a married couple...it's not a neccesity, it's not a keepsake, and most people are not comfortable contributing to them.

On a side note...the registry is not telling people what to buy for you, it gives them ideas.  We're having our kids register in the fall wherever they want so for Holidays and Birthdays all the grandparents and family will be able to know what they would like, what sizes they wear, and then it helps so the kids don't get 2 or 3 of the same gift.  I think registries overall are great!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We're registered at Kohl's, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Target.

Also, cschuma, I just want to tell you how much I like having a QOTD on here.  It's nice to have some action on this board!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We registered at Khols and Walmart.

I don't like the idea of honeymoon registeries because they make me think you couldn't have a honeymoon without one (though I know that's not always the case). If you can't afford a vacation, don't go.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards