Ohio-Toledo

Venues

Hello girls!

I am newly engaged. YAY!

I am looking at something different for my wedding venues. I do not really want the standard "hall" reception. Our wedding date is April 28, 2012. I was hoping for may 26, but my FI cannot get that time off work... regardless, now with April, there is a slight chance of rain.

Does anyone have any ideas for a unique place to have a wedding ceremony (no church) and reception.

Thanks.
Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Venues

• cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It would be helpful if you gave us a little more information.  About how many people are you planning to invite?  Do you have an approximate budget?  What area(s) of the Toledo area are you looking to have your event in?  It's silly to send you to look at a place that is too expensive, too small, and on the wrong end of town!

However, welcome to the boards!  I found a lot of great ideas and vendors from here.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    The Toledo Art Museum or the Zoo come to mind right off the bat.

The Zoo is reasonably priced (compared to a lot of venues) but you're going to spend more at the Art Museum.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

258 invitedimage
    182 can't wait to partyimage
    76 are missing all the funimage
  • edited December 2011
    Oh and congrats! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

258 invitedimage
    182 can't wait to partyimage
    76 are missing all the funimage
  • edited December 2011
    I guess that information would help huh. We have a budget 10k-12k and about 100-125 people. Anywhere in ToledoI am ok with, I am leaning more closer to downtown though. Any thoughts on the old train station or Marina?
  • edited December 2011
    Agree with Caitilin on the Museum but I guess I'm a little biased :) We are having our reception at the Glass Pavilion in August.

The Toledo Museum of Art & Glass Pavilion are definitely very different and unique. That is what we also wanted to do for our wedding because we are very into the arts. We've got a lot of people coming in from out of town and wanted to really give them something different from the norm (if you have your reception in the Glass Pavilion you can have a glass blowing demonstration during your cocktail hour!)

Yes, the Museum & Glass Pavilion may be a little more pricey and they have a few more restrictions than other places might, but to us it's worth it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I sort of looked into that.. they didnt have much info on their website, however, I asked my FI what he thought and he said "I am not a fan of that art museam". However, hes only been there for my neices Junior Youth Orcahastra concert, so he didnt see much.

Its an option to look into. How much are your meals per person and the cost of the venue?
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats! Thats my date too, but we are renewing our vows! I believe its called Space 237??? Its in downtown. I have heard its a cool place. We looked at The Valentine theater but I dont think we are doing it there. Also, very cool place!!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-toldeo_venues-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:237Discussion:b267e546-a90e-4164-8080-e15306ba6743Post:2d83034b-a6fe-4309-93b4-0c398fcdaad3">Re: Venues</a>:
    [QUOTE]I guess that information would help huh. We have a budget 10k-12k and about 100-125 people. Anywhere in ToledoI am ok with, I am leaning more closer to downtown though. Any thoughts on the old train station or Marina?
    Posted by brandym22[/QUOTE]

We looked at the train station (still in use) and we loooved it! The only thing about it is that you have to use Gladieux Catering, and I've not heard one good thing about them. However, you do have the option of paying $2000 extra and using whatever caterer you want...not really worth it! Gladieux's pricing starts around $38pp. It's definitely a really cool space though! Call Gladieux if you are interested...

As far as the marina, they told us that after April of this year they will no longer be renting it out for events.

I got 2012 prices from the Art Museum, and as soon as they told me $10,000 just to rent the space for wedding and reception, I didn't even ask for food prices. In the end, that would be way out of our budget for as many people as we are having.

The Valentine Theater is downtown. Not sure of their prices though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Polo -- the museum is $10,000 just to rent the space? or does that include food for a certain number of people... (What part of the museum is that for?) 

I can tell you that the space rental fee for 2011 is NOT $10,000... The Glass Pavilion is $2,500... that would be crazy if they jacked the prices that much over a year!! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks Polo. I heard the Train station was really cool too. My MOH went to a wedding there last summer, I just havnt seen it in person. I have talked to Galdieux and got their pricing, but I havent heard anything about their food or service. They are within my budget though... hmm, makes me wonder... When is your wedding?

Ally, unfortunately, $2500 is still high for me just for a rental cost :(
  • edited December 2011
    loveplanning, congrats on the renewal. ive looked into space 237, and from the pic, it looks crammed, they layout doesnt work for us.
  • edited December 2011
    Polo, nevermind, I just saw your profile.. 5/26/2012- i am so jealous. Thats the date I wanted. But hubby work is preventing us from having it that date.. long story short, he has got to bid on vacation, and he cant bid on anything past June until March (their fiscal year).. and because June 1, 2, 3, and 4 would fall into his week off (for honeymoon) we can have it the 26.. and every other week in May is full except week 1 :(

I am kinda bummed about it and PRAY is DOESNT rain!!!! Its a whole 10 degrees warmer the end of May than it is the end of April. Thats a lot.
  • edited December 2011
    AllysOop- Yes, I was told by TMA that it is $10,000 to rent space for the day for a wedding and reception. I was interested in the glass pavilion, and that's what they told me. I deleted the email but I remember it included things like parking, security, and probably table and chairs, etc. But I know for a fact that it did not include food. They said they were restructuring things for 2012 and changing the number of non art-related events that they will hold from now on. It was something like $5000 for just the wedding, $7000 for a reception, and $10,000 for both. Needless to say, I deleted the email as soon as I read that lol!

brandym22- Sorry you couldn't pick the date you wanted! We both liked May 26th because of the holiday weekend, the fact that it's in the spring, and also our anniversary is on the 26th of another month right now, so it's easy to remember, lol! But ask around about Gladieux, maybe you'll hear some better things than I did. And go check out the train station, I can tell you that you will like it a lot! They have the space for both a wedding and a reception, and it's just so unique!

Another suggestion would be to look at the metroparks. They aren't really close to downtown, but you might find one you like. I've heard that Strawberry Acres in Holland is nice. Also check out Wildwood and Olander Park.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • rak123rak123 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Hello and congrats! Welcome to the board. :) 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Wow. That's crazy about the museum costs. It's such a beautiful place but those prices will really limit the number of weddings there :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_ohio-toldeo_venues-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:237Discussion:b267e546-a90e-4164-8080-e15306ba6743Post:6cf411ef-a3dc-477d-bf74-4622cbec0da5">Re: Venues</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats! Thats my date too, but we are renewing our vows! I believe its called Space 237??? Its in downtown. I have heard its a cool place. We looked at The Valentine theater but I dont think we are doing it there. Also, very cool place!!
    Posted by loveplanning[/QUOTE]

SPace 237 I was going to recommend this also.
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome to the board!!
  • edited December 2011
    I recommend the Zoo they have multiple locations for different group sizes. I wanted a more intamite wedding (F's extended family is HUGE) so I'm using their smallest local. (the arctic encounter) as an excuse to limit invites and not hurt feelings. Just had the tasting and their caterer's food is amazing. for 50 people the ceremony, recep., and food will cost me about 3k that includes chairs and linens and tons of other things. plus there is a bakery on site (it not required that u use it though) so everything is really simple
  • uofmgirl1229uofmgirl1229 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Zoo is great, that is where our wedding will be this summer. we are having about 85 guests and are within your budget. I would check it out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards