Ohio-Toledo

Reception Stress... Knotty vibes please!

So, our first choice for our reception hall is Maumee Bay.  However, their booking policy absolutely sucks.  We cannot book until a year in advance and they book straight by how much money they will make on your wedding.  We are having a smaller wedding, so I am really doubtful that we would get our date.  We ended up giving up and decided to go with Navy Bistro.  But, now with all the Cousino stuff going on and the docks being up for sale..... that's out.  I just don't know where to try now.  We really want to be in the downtown area.  At the worst, in Perrysburg.  UGH!  I'm in freak out mode.
Wedding Countdown Ticker Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that. --Michael Leunig-- Planning Bio

Re: Reception Stress... Knotty vibes please!

• bevaleebevalee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The place I'm going with is off the Anthony Wayne Trail where it intersects with Detroit Avenue- Parkway Place- but I'm getting the smaller room for under 225 guests.  Check it out!
    http://parkwayplace.biz/
  • cschuma2cschuma2 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have no idea if these fit in your budget, but you could look into the art museum or Wyndham Hotel which is right on Summit next to the river.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • nyreknyrek member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We almost booked with Maumee Bay last year...and I am so glad we didn't!!!  They're booking poilicy is horrible...and if another person wants the same date...they compare your weddings and "award" it to one lucky couple. (No joke.) So obviously, the person with the larger wedding always wins.  Plus for a wedding of around 150 guests, they were quoting us almost $3000.00 just for the BAR BILL.  Are you flipping kidding?

We ended up looking into downtown areas, but since we're getting married in July, you have to take into consideration that theres a huge Jehova Witness convention held here every weekend for 6 weeks each summer.  They come from all the surrounding states, and basically suck up all the hotels and parking at all the local hotels.

So...in our search, we ended up looking at he zoo's packages and that is who we went with.  Their packages are amazing...but I warn you not to be turned off by the per person price of their packages.  Those prices include the food, venue, bar cost, linens, set-up and tear down, cocktail hour music, day of coordinators, golf cart for your guests who cant walk well...so much is included it's ridiculous!!!

I absolutely recommend them and refer anyone I can to at least check it out.  Plus it's unique and a great way to get out of town guests to see one of the top 10 zoos in the nation!!!  (Yes...they should pay me for marketing!) I truly love them, that much!!!

Good luck whatever you choose!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Vacation tickers
  • edited December 2011

My reception is at the Park Inn downtown. It is over by where COSI used to be on the water and is connected to Seagate Center. They have been great to work with and offer a few different packages. Good luck !

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the great ideas.  We live downtown, so if we don't get our first choice in Maumee Bay, we really would rather be in the downtown area.  I have inquired with Park Inn and the Crowne Plaza so far.  My wedding planner told me not to give up on MB yet though.  The crappy women that use to be there left this week and there is someone new in the spot, so I'm hoping she will be better!  I'm going to give it a month to play out I guess.  What's meant to be, will be, right?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that. --Michael Leunig-- Planning Bio
  • edited December 2011
    Just be careful booking at the Crowne Plaza...they have had terrible reviews.  A wedding there last summer had no air during their reception and all their guests left at 9pm since it was over 90 degrees in the ballroom.  I have a friend down there who says their heating and air problems have not been resolved so beware....
  • lmiller28lmiller28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kelly,

I live downtown as well, are you familiar with the Event Center on Summit Street? It is a smaller facility that faces the river and Owens Corning, I am not sure the exact corner it is on but it's on Summit between Monroe and Washington. It looks like a really nice place, I would suggest checking there if you haven't already.
  • edited December 2011
    I am.  We actually went to an event there not too long.  I never really thought of that, good idea.

Another downtowner!!!  Yeah!!!  I really want to ask were you live, but that's probably wrong to ask on a public board, so I won't..... haha.  Thanks for the suggestion!
  • edited December 2011

I am having my reception at Maumee Bay Resort.  They have been great to work with and every wedding I have attended there has been great!  They have been willing to work with me to make sure all my needs are met.  I have nothing but good to say about them. 

I did work at the Crowne Plaza as well, yes they did have a/c problems but when I left (2 months ago) the problem was fixed.  You will have a great experience if you decide to go with them just make sure you get your overnight rooms early and abide by all contact rules.  Terri is a great banquet manager and Chef Aaron makes amazing food.  

Please contact me if you have any questions.

• edited December 2011
    S - I did PM you. 
  • SarahNTylerSarahNTyler member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have heard a lot of bad reviews about Maumee Bay too!  I heard they have a 10,000 limit and that it is not that great, but I have heard a few good reviews too!  Anyways I'm getting married at the Zoo and having my reception there...We are very excited!  Too bad about the Docks...I went to a reception there and it was a blast! Good luck in whatever you choose...I just don't like the idea that whoever's wedding is going to cost the most gets that date and I have heard that the final cost it much more than the qoute they give you.  If interested check out the Zoo...Colleen is awesome to work with, she will do whatever to help you out and has awesome ideas.  I booked the Zoo last July and my wedding still is not for another year and when I email her even the littlest question she always gets back to me right away,,,She even let me change my original date!
  • lmiller28lmiller28 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Kelly,

Not inapporpriate at all, I love meeting other "downtowners" we are few and far between.

We live in the 100 Huron condo building and absolutely love it here!

Hope you find a site for your reception soon!
  • skippylouwhoskippylouwho member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about any of the area yacht clubs? Most of them have banquet facilities. 

• Duris07Duris07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about the Valentine Theater? They book weddings and receptions there, and it's BEAUTIFUL! It is a smaller place too, so it could work out really well for your situation. And they have the little pull through out front that has some pretty greenery!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards