Ohio-Toledo

In need of some advice (long)....

I am definately stressing myself out about this so any and all advice is welcome and appreciated. My fiance and I booked Ty photography for our wedding early this year, in January. Our wedding isn't even until June of 2012 but I was so excited about it and when I called he said he still had our date available but that June was booking fast. My parents agreed to help us pay for the photography. So I called him back and booked our date and we put half of the total cost down, since that is what he said he needed. My first mistake was not even scheduling a meeting or meeting him in person or anything, and that is completely my fault. But ever since we have put the money down he has been pretty much impossible to get a hold of. No one answers when I call the place, and it takes him days and days to respond to emails. I know hes probably busy but I am getting annoyed. My parents are upset because it took him over a month to get us a contract, which he sent over email. I am sooo frustrated and I don't know what to do. We even went to his studio one day, and no one was there! We never even signed a contract and either has he. So I have no idea what is going on. I would kind of like my money back and to go with someone else but I don't know if thats possible. When he emailed me the reciept/"contract" this is what is says at the bottom:

Photography is like the MOST important thing out of all the other vendors to me. And this guy is making me NERVOUS.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: In need of some advice (long)....

• edited December 2011

First of all, you NEED to get the contract signed by both parties.  Without it, you really have no legal agreement or guarantee that someone is going to be there.

Second, if you're really regretting this guy, and you can afford it, cancel with him and go with someone else.  You should be able to get at least some of your money back.  And, really, what is a couple hundred dollars for your peace of mind?  There should still be a lot of good photographers with an opening more than a year out.  If photography is really your top priority, I think you'd be willing to pull money from other things and put toward this.  Also,a  year should should give you a lot of time save up for it if a different photographer is not in the budget.

Good luck!

• jessatenjessaten member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A friend of mine used this photographer for her wedding back in October.  Her pictures are great, but she had the same issues with communication.  I agree with Abbey...if you can afford to, maybe it would be better to move on.

If you're interested, my photographer is Danielle Luc Photography.

• akirkenakirken member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys. I tried to get the contract signed by him, but when I went to his studio no one was there. So now I'm worried about that. I'd really rather move on but I am worried that he's not going to give us our money back. We actually put $875 down, so if he didn't give us our money back, I'd feel obligated to stick with him since its alot of money. But at that point I would have already pissed him off, and I don't want someone like that to photograph my wedding. I am so super frustrated, I should have known better not to book someone without meeting them first.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Trust me, I know $875 is A LOT of money, but it is NOT worth risking getting wedding pictures you don't like or being uncomfortable with your photographer.  If you end up hating the pictures, you can't ever capture that day again.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • akirkenakirken member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ugh I know, and thats why I'm so scared. I really really should have known better than to not meet with him first. Lesson learned. I just hope that because we never signed anything, theres technically no contract and he can refund our money. He hasn't done anything for us yet.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I would say he would have to give you your money back since you didn't sign a contract!!! It might be hard to get it back but I would at least try!! That stinks!! :( My photographer is Kellie with icandy photography. Her stuff looked amazing and she was well in my budget!!! We got the $1500.00 package and we get an insane amount of pictures with all of them on a disk. Her website is www.forlifessweetestmoments.com. I also looked at Sarah J Photography but she was just a little high for me, but not by much!! Her website is www.sarahjphoto.net. I hope you get it all worked out!!!!
  • akirkenakirken member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks. I just want to scream right now. :[
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

I would tell him you find him unprofessional, and you're put off by the fact that you never had an opportunity to sign and contract and would like your money back.  Let him know if he doesn't refund it you'll be contacting a lawyer, the BBB and the attorney generals office.  That's only if you're sure you don't want him working it of course or boy will he be disgruntled heh.  I'm sorry that happened :( Sure it's a learning experience, but your wedding is not when you want to be learning life lessons!  Just remember it will work out and not to get too crazy over it.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

258 invitedimage
    182 can't wait to partyimage
    76 are missing all the funimage
  • medatcmedatc member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I don't think that I would pay that amount of money without a contract, especially if never meeting them. That being said, a friend of mine used Ty last year and loved her photos. If you need anothe option, my photographer is John Kuser--www.jlkphoto.com  We love him, he has done several of my families weddings and came highly recommended. Best part is everytime we meet with him, my FI comes away from it even more excited to get married!
  • courtney1188courtney1188 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The lack of contact is bad, but what you posted from the bottom of the contract is completely normal, almost every photographer's contract will say those things, some of them are actually required items by law.
  • akirkenakirken member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm just wondering about number 4 on the contract. It says he cant do refunds. BUT as I said we never signed a contract because I can never get a hold of him!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards