Getting in Shape

estimating calories?

So I haven't eaten out since I started seriously tracking calories.  FI and I are going to a local (as in no online calorie counts) restaurant for dinner tonight.  How do y'all estimate calories?

I took a look at the menu and will probably order "Ahi tuna tacos with pico de gallo, guacamole, and black bean roast chile salad".  I do not like guacamole, so I won't eat that.  Do y'all think that sounds like a healthy choice?  I have no idea how big the plate is, but if it is a large plate I will not eat all of it.

Re: estimating calories?

• Its probably not too bad, depending on the sauces. Try to estimate how many cups/grams/etc whatever each thing is and then try to find a similar amount online (or calculate a larger amount to get to one your size). If you can ask the weight of the tuna, etc that will help. They should be able to provide you with this information.
  • Mmm... those sound good. You might want to ask them if the ahi is deep fried, pan fried, grilled? That would make a big difference in the calories.

For me, though, as long as I'm not eating out a lot, I just let the point counting (or calorie tracking) go by the wayside. Get what you think is healthiest and sounds the best, and eat until you're satisfied. Don't worry too much about the calories, since it sounds like going out is a treat for you, and not an everyday thing.

imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • You might also try to see if someone on SparkPeople has already calculated the calories in that meal.  You can type in the restaurant's name into the search engine and see if anything pops up.  That's generally how I find a good estimate of some of the things I eat that I can't find online counts for otherwise.

The plate sounds delish, but you need to know more about the portion and the way its cooked in order to estimate more accurately.  I tend to overestimate when I go out and can't find nutritional info beforehand, just in case.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Closed on our house 4-15-11!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards