Getting in Shape

Ugh, Massive Motivation Issues

I was doing really well with getting myself to the gym for the last few months.  Really!  I had a great schedule going, and my diet was better, and it was all hunky dory.  Aaaaand then my dress was finally delivered and I picked it up.  It fit perfectly, which was beyond awesome.  The problem now is that my brain is stuck on "dude it fits, you don't need to do anything else".  I know that's not true, but that voice (and the somehow unchanging number on the scale, though I see my stomach starting to expand back to it's former self) is really good at giving me all kinds of excuses to not go to the gym and instead go home and do something silly ("Oh, you should really finish making the table numbers, you'll be glad you did it now instead of waiting.").

I'm now down to just almost 2 months out, and I'm going to be really irritated with myself if I don't start making myself go to the gym, but gosh darn it it's so nice out and I just keep wanting to go home, take the dogs for a walk, then sit on the porch with a hard lemonade while I work on my DIY projects!

I know it's all a choice, and really I just need to kick myself into gear and go, but gosh darn it I just had to complain about my brain being all wishy washy on me.  I'm telling myself I'm going today.  I have my bag ready to go, it's right here by my desk.  Staring at it all day has made me feel guilty, so I might actually do it.  Maybe.

Re: Ugh, Massive Motivation Issues

• Just do it.

You have plenty of time to have alterations done if it's a touch too big or small, so why wouldn't you want to keep trying to look and feel your very best?
  • Maybe increase your workout when you take your dogs on a walk? Maybe do a jog, or do it for twice as long as you normally would?
    Maybe do some gardening/yardwork....Or anything else active you can do outside.

I know if you eliminate the "hard" part of your hard lemonade, you'll help yourself a lot out too!! (alcohol is miserably bad for you while you're on a diet... lol.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I just tried my dress on and it fits great! BUT, I would still love to loose 15 to 20 more lbs. If I have to pay the extra money to get it altered, so be it!

For me this is a lifestyle change and I want to continue loosing weight until I hit my perfect weight, and then keep up the routine to maintain it! If you are happy with your weight and do not want to loose anymore then just try to motivate yourself to maintain your weight by still eating healthy food and continue your exercize.
  • I think my problem is that since I graduated college I made a habit of going to the gym, and I'm going on 2 years of it.  I think I finally just wore myself out, and with my dress being as fabulous as it is, and it's all about keeping the shape rather than losing weight at this point, I completely lost the push I had before.  The college weight is gone, and I am (well, I was 2 weeks ago before the voice took over) in the best shape I've ever been in.  I know what I need to do, I just completely have no will to do it anymore.

I think I'm just plain old tired of working out.
  • It sounds like it's time for you to mix things up. When you get stuck in a rut, and like you said "worn out"  it's because you're working out as a "chore" to yourself.
    For me, the gym is my stress-relief, my 'ME' time. It puts me in my own little world where I'm competing with no one but myself, I don't give a CRAP about how sweaty and nasty I get, and it's the best feeling to finish a tough work out and gasp for more air. To chug a bottle of water and say, "yeah. That just happened".. It's time that is only for me.. not other people, not the "haters" I have in life, not my husband... Just for me. 

You need to find something you enjoy. Something that you think "OMG I can't wait to do that again" gym classes, sports , etc... Because this is a life-long journey you're on. The results of seeing things shed off and whatnot are great and all.. and super motivating.. but since you're at a point that's about losing tiny bits and over-all maintaining, you need to find something you love DOING WHILE you're doing it or you will be struggling with work-out burn-out forever. 
  • The only way to get motivation is to do it when you don't want to over and over and you'll start to change the way you think!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If it's nice out, and you have dogs anyway, why not take them for a run instead of a walk? Running still counts off a treadmill, and then you can combine fitness and quality time with the puppies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards