Getting in Shape
Options

Motivation or Self-Pity?

So there is a girl at work, who I would consider a pretty close friend (I am throwing her a baby shower), but she is sometimes really rude about things. I work at Home Depot, and I was walking from one end to the other, and she stopped me and said, 'I was looking on your facebook pictures last night, and your weight is good there. What happened? You need to get back down to that weight..." I was mortified. She even completed it by poking my belly. Yeah. Now, I told this to another girl (as I was crying and wanted to know why... I usually don'y cry about things like that, it is just my TOM) and she was like, "Well, she (the girl who said it) is Filipino, and that is just their culture I think." Either way, I was super depressed, and now I am letting it feed my motivation to get back down to that weight. She is right, I gained 50 pounds in a year (I started my Masters, had two jobs... and basically did not take care of myself). I was horrified when I saw the pictures we had taken while the FI and I went to Vegas (where we got engaged). But still. I guess I just need to vent. Plus, it was my first day of Weight Watchers when she said it, and so it was like, "GREEEAAT..." All I want to say to her is, I've already lost weight being on WW!!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Motivation or Self-Pity?

• Options
    NebbNebb member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    I dont care what your culture or back ground is - rude is rude, and that wasnt cool to say to you. Your weight is your own business. Awesome its helping give you motivation but please dont take it to heart or let her make you feel bad.
  • Options
    I second Nebb, that was incredibly rude -- but let it serve as great motivation for weight loss.  I couldn't imagine someone poking my belly -- I would be so mad! 
  • Options
    That is NOT at all related to her culture, my fiance is Filipino (born and raised) and no one in his family would DREAM of saying that to someone, EVER.  That's just the result of poor parenting and no emotional intelligence whatsoever.Ignore her.  You've already made the decision to be healthier; focus on that, and how great you're going to feel. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Closed on our house 4-15-11!
  • Options
    Please ignore her! That was not just rude, but very insensitive. You gained weight..things happen, but now you're taking care of yourself and becoming a healthier, happier person. Be proud of yourself and ignore the negativity!
  • Options
    I agree with pp that it was completely rude what she said. I also agree that it can be great motivation. Someone asked me when I was due the other day. First time that has ever happened in my life.  FI assured me it was a combo of the shirt I was wearing and the way I was standing but I still went home and had the best work out I had all week.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies... I decided motivation is what I fuel that comment with... you all gave me a ton of self-confidence points, so thanks so much! Definitely not letting people bring me down anymore!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    that is very rude. A large part of my family is Venezuelian and those people are the worst. Not to be racist, I mean my family in particular. They are all SO into looks and beauty its disgusting. Ive been tortured my whole life by them pointing out my weight to me. The last time I visited my mom, my step-dad said it just like this "oh you're looking good, a little bit heavier, but good" I was like, is this a compliment? I told my mom how pissed off I was about that and she was like "oh its his culture" I was like *** his culture! she was like, you can tell him he has a big nose, he wont care. I was like good for him, thats not going to make me feel any better. I mean, I can tell when I put on a few pounds, I dont need ppl to tell me.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards