Getting in Shape
Options

bleh

Definitely one of those blah kind of days.  I work all-nighter shifts so frequently I find myself lagging in motivation to do much of anything, although I do drag my tired butt to the gym anyway.  My issue though seems to be my near constant back pain! :(  Does anyone else deal with this? 
It starts off in the very lower middle part of my back and shoots sharp pain into my hip and occasionally down my leg to my knee.  Some days are better than others but it seems like the more I try to do to get in shape, the more I hurt!  It's VERY discouraging to me and makes me doubt myself and my abilities to do anything.  I want to be a personal trainer someday but how can I be a competent trainer if I can't even do exercises on my own without hurting myself? 
I do stretches that are directed at sciatic pain so that helps some, but I'm afraid I'll never get away from this nonsense....*sigh*
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: bleh

• Options
    Have you seen a doctor regarding your pain?

A massage therapist or chiropractor may be able to aleviate the pain. It's possible the way you're doing your exercising is exacerbating an issue, or your form may be poor (causing injury).

You should not be in constant pain, so you should seek out a way to fix it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_bleh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:174b9af4-2d5d-4479-9b1a-aa259e170b48Post:d9824e1c-3623-4e30-bcda-db00720ed184">Re: bleh</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you seen a doctor regarding your pain? A massage therapist or chiropractor may be able to aleviate the pain. It's possible the way you're doing your exercising is exacerbating an issue, or your form may be poor (causing injury). You should not be in constant pain, so you should seek out a way to fix it.
    Posted by entropicbeauty[/QUOTE]
    I agree with you, that I should not be in pain this often.  I am one who pays a great deal of attention to form so I'm not sure it's that and if I feel I need to make an adjustment to my form then I will.  There are certain excercises that I just wont do because I know they'll hurt me later on.  I have adjusted the amount of weight that I lift, particularly when it comes to dead lifts, squats and upright rows, but gosh, that's defeating my goals! lol
    But you're right.  I guess I have to get off my duff and see someone.  I hope if I go see a chiropractor that they don't end up breaking me, hehehe
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_bleh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:174b9af4-2d5d-4479-9b1a-aa259e170b48Post:8e506fb0-0a7f-4776-ab1f-19908bd1d6ae">Re: bleh</a>:
    [QUOTE]This sounds similar to what my back pain was. Are you having issues with tight hip flexors at all? 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have a similar issue and mine is from an issue called sciatica. A chiro and massage therapist are able to help with the pain...again the obvious statement is I am not a doctor and you should go to one

good luck
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I second everyone saying go to the doctor.  Also, how is your mattress and your general posture?
    I started doing yoga poses specifically for better posture and back pain and that helped a bit, I also got a light back brace type thing because my posture is horrible.
    I've read that poorly fitted bras can cause back pain as well, but I have no idea how to tell if that is the problem.
    And if you've never been to the chiropractor before, or you hate going, see if your doctor can prescribe a muscle relaxer.  My doctor writes out a prescription for 3 pills at a time when he knows I'm going, because I involuntarily tense up so much the chiropractor was doing more harm than good.  Talk to your doctor about this, chiropractors can work wonders so it's worth taking a pill if you're too nervous to go otherwise.
    I'm sorry you hurt!  Hopefully the doctor can help figure out what's wrong.  And you should check your insurance, it may cover massages, you just have to get a referral from your doctor first.

• Options
    This definitely sounds like it is nerve related (which is probably why it shoots down your leg). I would go see a doctor. Im with souptin, sounds like sciatica. 

Hope you feel better soon!
  • Options
    I worked for years as a licensed massage therapist - definitely sounds like sciatica.  Now, whether it's "true" or "false" sciatica, the massage therapist would have to determine via some testing.  If they don't know the difference between the two (one caused by actual spinal issues, as in herniated discs - and one caused by a muscular problem) I'd walk away. 

It's normally treatable, and you may just have to change your body mechanics to prevent recurrence.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards