Getting in Shape

Low Carb Dieters?

I am trying it out, my sister lost a lot of weight initially by doing a low carb diet. Anyone else doing it to shed pounds, I see a lot of WW followers here, Ive done it before but don't have the money for it right now.

Re: Low Carb Dieters?

• I'm back on the South Beach Diet which I've had lots of success with so far. I love it because it doesn't eliminate ALL carbs, just the bad ones, so I've switched to things like whole-wheat pasta (because I could NEVER give up pasta!) and things like that. The cravings for breads and pastas were awful at first, but I pulled through those first few days and now life is good again. 
  • Read the Atkins book, or South Beach (modified Atkins).  It is important to understand how and why low-carb works, and how to use it safely.  You cannot cut out all carbs - but it can be managed well if you manage your calorie intake, carb intake, and exercise levels.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Low carb (not no carb) diets can be effective if you maintain it as your lifestyle.  Notice that when you read the books or information about the diets, they have a very strict phase 1, a less strict phase 2 and a plan to follow after the 2nd phase (basically for your lifetime).  If you don't think you can stick to this as a lifestyle change, you will most likely lose a few pounds and then gain it all back (plus some). 

The reason why WW works is that it is a lifestyle change.  My mom lost about 50 pounds on WW and is now a lifetime member.  She has kept the weight off for 5 years but only because she still follows WW to maintain her weight loss.  She still attends meetings and exercises as well as watching her diet.

I have tried South Beach before but I could not maintain it as a lifestyle.  Now I just am conscious of what I eat, read nutritional information, allow myself to splurge now and then and keep a regular workout schedule.  That works for me.

GL!
  • About 2 years ago, I lost, and have since kept off, 20 lbs doing a WW plan that was based on low-card diets, that they have since modified.  But basically, its so simple you don't need to go to meeting or anything.  The deal is this: you can eat as much as you need (not stuff yourself, but never be hungry) of fruits, veggies, eggs, fish, meat, and then reasonable servings of whole grain carbs - whole grain cereal, ww pasta, brown rice, ww couscous, ect.  Breads, wraps, white pasta & cheese are never foods.
  • Sorry, cheese & bread are sometimes foods, like cookies or ice cream. Enjoy, but know you have to pay the next day with salad and quinois.
  • raynesraynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I'd say that I follow a "lower carb" diet/lifestyle, in that I aim for about 40% of my calories to come from carbs.

IMO, as long as you make good choices, carbs are a necessary part of ones diet.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have lost 23 lbs and kept almost all of for the last 4 years doing my own version of a low carb diet when I found out I had Celiac disease. I cut out all breads and pastas but I eat all fruits and all vegetables which atkins doent allow (except potatos, I have them about once a week). I also had to cut out all beers/sodas, anything wheat based or with a lot of sugar. A few of my friends have tried it and lost about 10 lbs. I can give you some meal ideas if you are up for it but it really is a lifestyle change!!!
  • Low carb is terrible for you. Carbs are good for you. People that tell you to limit your fruits and vegetables are crazy!  Unless you are diabetic or cab sensitive, you really shouldn't limit your daily 10.  Sure you should skip out on white breads and pasta, but whole grains are good for you. 

You are better off limiting meat to a few times a week, eating 10 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, getting plenty of rest, and taking a multivitamin. 
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards