Getting in Shape

Upper Arm Workouts

I am doing great at losing weight and getting in shape for my september wedding however i am really struggling at my upper arms and they are where i've wanted to lose most the weight since i started. Any suggestions on exercises or anything i can do to help get rid of these "bye bye arms" i would esp love also something simple i can do while at my desk at work too!!

Re: Upper Arm Workouts

• What are you already doing?  
  • Unfortunately if you're losing weight everywhere but your arms, you found your trouble spot. 
    Are you losing weight there and you are wanting to gain MUSCLE now or are they just not shrinking with the rest of your bod? 

FIRST, I suggest that you get out the tape measure. Measure the circumfrance of your arms and write it down. Sometimes we have our insecure spots and don't realize the progress we make in those areas because of that. The "look in the mirror" method only works so well... Time to start measuring. It'll help you READ the progress when you are struggling to SEE it. 

Next, if it comes to muscle building there are lots of great moves for you to do, but if you're wanting to get rid of the fat, the musle building will only help you a little bit... you ultimately need cardio and a good diet to shed that fat. 

So what's the issue? How is your diet and how is your cardio? 
  • JW28JW28 member
    First Comment
    I agree with PP, there is no way to lose fat specifically on your arms, you just have to lose fat through diet and exercise and hope it comes off of your arms eventually. However, you might still be able to add some muscle to your arms to make them seem less flabby, even if their size doesn't change (I hate that I have some flab on my arms, but my biceps kind of make up for it). I recommend pushups and pullups. If you can't do real pushups, do them on your knees. If you can't do real pullups, use a resistance band or try chinups or jumping pullups.
  • ^ Tricep dips are my favorite killer arm workout. They are brutal and toning up my triceps has really helped make them look slimmer
  • edited March 2012
    2 of my favorite arm exercise can easily be done at home with a weight (whichever you are comfortable with.
    For the first, lay flat on your back on the floor. Raise your arms above your head with a weight in your hands (I use a 10lb weight). Raise and lower your arms off the floor. It works the back of your arm/ bulgey part in the back when your arms are at your sides.
    For the 2nd one, I alternate arms with an 8lb weight in each hand. Standing up with your arms at your sides, alternate raising each arm straight out in front of you (weight should be around 45* angle). Not sure of muscle names, but it gives you some definition in your arms.
    Hope this helps! You can't spot train, but varying the exercises you do for each body part helps so your muscles don't get used to the exercises.
  • Side arm planks are awesome. or just a plank in general! That is my worst spot as well. I began yoga and I have seen improvement there. In yoga you can do sun salutations (if nothing else).. its a process. So you can cycle through without tiring your arms out constantly. In a sun salutation at one point you go into a regular plank to transition.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards