Getting in Shape

wedding prepatation weight loss and birth control

I'm getting married in August of next year, and I have decided I want to lose quite a bit of weight for my special day. I have been successful before, but that was...long ago, and the circumstances were much different. It sounds like a lot, but I am looking to lose 30 pounds. The problem is I can't seem to lose ANY weight, seemingly no matter what I do. I eat healthy, I exercise regularly, and as far as I know I don't have any thyroid issues or anything. I'm stuck -- and have been for about a year and a half -- at 160. I can't figure this out. I did Insanity earlier this year, in preparation for a trip to Mexico, and didn't lose a pound. I drink a protein shake every morning to keep that number up and quell my appetite, but the number on my scale remains fixed. The only difference between now and when I used to be able to lose weight just by thinking about it (other than I'm 8 years older) is that I'm on birth control pills, and have been for about 5 years. Could this really be the problem? I know it tends to be laughed at in medical circles: "If you are worried you'll gain weight, then you probably will," but I am at a loss, here. I've even tried various weight-loss pills and supplements, and other than an icreased heart rate, I've seen no change. Is anyone else experiencing this? Am I, really, crazy for even thinking it? I just want some ideas, here. My fiancee and I have a plan for the next year to get our weight down together, and I'm going to try and enlist the help of a trainer friend of mine, but that's about as much as I can do. What is working for you?

Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Re: wedding prepatation weight loss and birth control

• I never had problems with my bc and weight gain, but I would really suggest seeing a nutritionist and a trainer or maybe even your regular doctor. A year and a half is a very long time to not see some results. 

I'm sorry this has been so hard for you! Keep up the good work! 
  • You don't mention anywhere about counting calories...do you track your food intake?

If you're not already on it, I recommend checking out myfitnesspal.com. A lot of people can think they're eating healthy, but portions are out of control etc. It's also possible you could be UNDEReating. You won't know until you track (even if you only do it for a month or two to understand your habits).
  • Unless you're taking a birth control that's too high in estrogen/progesterone, it shouldn't be the cause of you not losing weight. Did you see a sudden weight gain when you first started taking the BC? If not, I wouldn't necessarily put it to blame.

You said it's not a thyroid issue to your knowledge.. Does that mean that you went in for blood work? I would blame a thyroid over the BC any day. 
    When you first started working out did you take measurements and body fat %? A few months ago I didn't budge on my weight but my body fat % went down by 2% which is huge. Something to consider... 

But sometimes it can be as simple as you 

1. Aren't eating enough calories every day so your body is storing anything you give it in fear that you are trying to starve it. This is a VERY common problem among women and we do it completely on accident. Or on the other side, you aren't realizing that you're eating way too much still.. Either way, consider food logging. Myfitnesspal, sparkpeople, livestrong, etc are all free sites to food log. 

2. You're not setting your body up for success in the morning. This kinda goes with number 1. If you aren't jump starting your metabolism in the morning, you may be doing more damage than good. YOu said you have a protein drink in the mornings.. what kind? One you make yourself, just powder, a pre-made drink...? So are you getting in just this protein without many carbs? Your body wants both, and synthetic protein may  not be the best way to wake our body up. 

3. And medication you are one.. Antidepressents are notorious for blocking weight loss, as are some steroids that are used for asthma/allergies.  You could consider your BC in this, but that is something you need to run by your gyno if you really think it's an issue. She can tell you where on the "spectrum" your BC is. I specifically asked for the lowest horomone ;possible so I know that's not a factor for me. 

4. Your diet isn't as good as you think. You said you have a healthful diet, but do you KNOW? Care to share a typical day of meals with us? Many women are sensitive to refined carbs and it gets stored right in the tummy. I am one of them. my body HATES refined carbs and my abs only come out to play when I have been good about eating only whole grains. (heads up, just because a bread says "whole wheat" doesn't mean crap. read the ingredients and check the fiber count) 

5. Your body is at its happy weight and it will be incredibly hard to push it down from where it's at. My body is at its happy weight at 141 exactly. Right now I'm at 136 but i know it doesn't like to be there.  If this is the case, you will need extreme pushes to bump your number down, and that's just the way it goes. 

You said the only difference between you now and you 8 years ago is the BC, but that's not true. You 8 years ago was you 8 years younger. Your metabolism changes, it slows down, and you can't get away with things you may have been able to then. Something to consider... If I ate today the way I ate 8 years ago.. we're talking 5 diet Pepsis a day with bagel bites and 3 hot pockets... yeeeeah. gross. and no. :P
  • I agree with PPs. Make sure that you're actually eating enough - I was stuck for a long time because I wasn't taking in enough calories...

the first time I went on the pill (and the second time, after DS was born) I gained EXACTLY 40lbs, and I couldn't lose any of it. I was off the pill for years after DD was born, but went back on last year. I told my Doctor about my previous weight gain and he put me on the lowest dose. I haven't gained an ounce and am actually losing.

I've also recently learned that I have a gluten intolerance and am working on controlling that.

PPs have some wise advice. Tell us what you're eating in a typical day, start tracking food and activity, and talk to your doctor to rule out a medical reason. Also, when I did month one of Insanity last fall my weight stayed the same but my inches/body shape changed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_wedding-prepatation-weight-loss-and-birth-control?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:34eb3250-b7a3-4c1a-a2fe-9b1398af78f8Post:32c45a5e-5fcb-40f7-9b36-aab19187bde1">Re: wedding prepatation weight loss and birth control</a>:
    [QUOTE]Unless you're taking a birth control that's too high in estrogen/progesterone, it shouldn't be the cause of you not losing weight. Did you see a sudden weight gain when you first started taking the BC? If not, I wouldn't necessarily put it to blame. You said it's not a thyroid issue to your knowledge.. Does that mean that you went in for blood work? I would blame a thyroid over the BC any day.  When you first started working out did you take measurements and body fat %? A few months ago I didn't budge on my weight but my body fat % went down by 2% which is huge. Something to consider...  But sometimes it can be as simple as you  1. Aren't eating enough calories every day so your body is storing anything you give it in fear that you are trying to starve it. This is a VERY common problem among women and we do it completely on accident. Or on the other side, you aren't realizing that you're eating way too much still.. Either way, consider food logging. Myfitnesspal, sparkpeople, livestrong, etc are all free sites to food log.  2. You're not setting your body up for success in the morning. This kinda goes with number 1. If you aren't jump starting your metabolism in the morning, you may be doing more damage than good. YOu said you have a protein drink in the mornings.. what kind? One you make yourself, just powder, a pre-made drink...? So are you getting in just this protein without many carbs? Your body wants both, and synthetic protein may  not be the best way to wake our body up.  3. And medication you are one.. Antidepressents are notorious for blocking weight loss, as are some steroids that are used for asthma/allergies.  You could consider your BC in this, but that is something you need to run by your gyno if you really think it's an issue. She can tell you where on the "spectrum" your BC is. I specifically asked for the lowest horomone ;possible so I know that's not a factor for me.  4. Your diet isn't as good as you think. You said you have a healthful diet, but do you KNOW? Care to share a typical day of meals with us? Many women are sensitive to refined carbs and it gets stored right in the tummy. I am one of them. my body HATES refined carbs and my abs only come out to play when I have been good about eating only whole grains. (heads up, just because a bread says "whole wheat" doesn't mean crap. read the ingredients and check the fiber count)  5. Your body is at its happy weight and it will be incredibly hard to push it down from where it's at. My body is at its happy weight at 141 exactly. Right now I'm at 136 but i know it doesn't like to be there.  If this is the case, you will need extreme pushes to bump your number down, and that's just the way it goes.  You said the only difference between you now and you 8 years ago is the BC, but that's not true. You 8 years ago was you 8 years younger. Your metabolism changes, it slows down, and you can't get away with things you may have been able to then. Something to consider... If I ate today the way I ate 8 years ago.. we're talking 5 diet Pepsis a day with bagel bites and 3 hot pockets... yeeeeah. gross. and no. :P
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

No, I didn't get bloodwork done, but in my life I've never had any problems with any other process that the thyroid would effect, and no family history of any problems.  I know the body's metabolism slows down, and I have been trying to compensate for this, but I think I might be in the "not eating enough" category.  It used to be that I would skip a meal and lose five pounds, but that's definitely not the case anymore.  A typical day for me is: 16-ounce whey protein shake at 7 a.m., cup and a half of coffee (with raw sugar and cinnamon), leafy green salad with various meats (or various meats on 45 calorie wheat bread), celery with a little bit of Ranch, one piece of chocolate for lunch.  Couple hours later, cottage cheese or Greek yogurt with fruit I add myself.  Dinner is chicken and vegetables, or soup and salad, or organic beef mixed with beans, onions, tomatoes and garlic.  I may indulge in a glass or two of wine, or maybe another piece or two of chocolate (the Halloween-sized ones only) but...how bad is all that?  I think it's pretty okay.  I don't know, I'm no freaking expert.  I have no problem building muscle, that's never been an issue for me, and you're right -- maybe my body fat IS going down a percentage or two and I just don't know it.  I'll check that.  But I'm not doing anything wrong, and every other time I've been on birth control (in any form, including a different version of the kind I currently take, as well as the shot for nearly a year) I've put on weight.  The only other medication I'm on is an asthma inhaler, and that's not a big deal.  I'm going to keep working at it, though, and maybe limit myself to one glass of wine, and stick to the diet my fiancee and I have set out to maintain.  That trainer is looking pretty good, too.

• edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_wedding-prepatation-weight-loss-and-birth-control?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:34eb3250-b7a3-4c1a-a2fe-9b1398af78f8Post:ea7634dd-ef77-4e34-bda5-e62a1d4b51d6">Re: wedding prepatation weight loss and birth control</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: wedding prepatation weight loss and birth control : No, I didn't get bloodwork done, but in my life I've never had any problems with any other process that the thyroid would effect, and no family history of any problems.  I know the body's metabolism slows down, and I have been trying to compensate for this, but I think I might be in the "not eating enough" category.  It used to be that I would skip a meal and lose five pounds, but that's definitely not the case anymore.  A typical day for me is: 16-ounce whey protein shake at 7 a.m., cup and a half of coffee (with raw sugar and cinnamon), leafy green salad with various meats (or various meats on 45 calorie wheat bread), celery with a little bit of Ranch, one piece of chocolate for lunch.  Couple hours later, cottage cheese or Greek yogurt with fruit I add myself.  Dinner is chicken and vegetables, or soup and salad, or organic beef mixed with beans, onions, tomatoes and garlic.  I may indulge in a glass or two of wine, or maybe another piece or two of chocolate (the Halloween-sized ones only) but...how bad is all that?  I think it's pretty okay.  <strong><u>I don't know, I'm no freaking expert. </u></strong> I have no problem building muscle, that's never been an issue for me, and you're right -- maybe my body fat IS going down a percentage or two and I just don't know it.  I'll check that.  <strong>But I'm not doing anything wrong, and every other time I've been on birth control (in any form, including a different version of the kind I currently take, as well as the shot for nearly a year) I've put on w</strong>eight.  The only other medication I'm on is an asthma inhaler, and that's not a big deal.  I'm going to keep working at it, though, and maybe limit myself to one glass of wine, and stick to the diet my fiancee and I have set out to maintain.  That trainer is looking pretty good, too.
    Posted by DFracassa[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>You sound a little defensive and I'm not sure why.. Or maybe I'm reading that comment wrong.. </div><div>
    </div><div>And if "every other time" you've been on birth control  you gain weight then it sounds like you already just answered your own question. 
    </div><div>
    </div><div>But you did say " in any form" does that include condoms? Because if so, you could just be gaining weight when you are in relationships. </div>
  • They sound like good choices, but it really doesn't sound like enough calories to me. Plug it into MFP and see what you get, and check that against your height, age and weight to see the numbers you need to eat to maintain or lose.

And take your measurements. Sometimes the scale doesn't change but your shape does. Muscle takes up less space than fat, so you may be smaller, but still be the same weight.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • OP, firsttimer gave you some excellent advice and you came back with guns blazing. I've lurked on this board for a while and these women are supportive and knowledgeable. I suggest taking a step back and calming down. Internet strangers who take the time to write as much as firsttimer did only have your best interest at heart. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_wedding-prepatation-weight-loss-and-birth-control?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:34eb3250-b7a3-4c1a-a2fe-9b1398af78f8Post:05a43810-8419-40b5-aa03-913293b6aeec">Re: wedding prepatation weight loss and birth control</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: wedding prepatation weight loss and birth control : You sound a little defensive and I'm not sure why.. Or maybe I'm reading that comment wrong..  And if "every other time" you've been on birth control  you gain weight then it sounds like you already just answered your own question.  But you did say " in any form" does that include condoms? Because if so, you could just be gaining weight when you are in relationships. 

Haha, you're probably right, I think I do gain weight in relationships.  Crap, marriage is going to be a mess! 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_wedding-prepatation-weight-loss-and-birth-control?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:34eb3250-b7a3-4c1a-a2fe-9b1398af78f8Post:05a43810-8419-40b5-aa03-913293b6aeec">Re: wedding prepatation weight loss and birth control</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: wedding prepatation weight loss and birth control : You sound a little defensive and I'm not sure why.. Or maybe I'm reading that comment wrong..  And if "every other time" you've been on birth control  you gain weight then it sounds like you already just answered your own question.  But you did say " in any form" does that include condoms? Because if so, you could just be gaining weight when you are in relationships. 

Haha, you're probably right, I think I do gain weight in relationships.  Crap, marriage is going to be a mess! 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_wedding-prepatation-weight-loss-and-birth-control?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:34eb3250-b7a3-4c1a-a2fe-9b1398af78f8Post:28561ff2-4f9e-41f0-9555-d5688c073058">Re: wedding prepatation weight loss and birth control</a>:
    [QUOTE]OP, firsttimer gave you some excellent advice and you came back with guns blazing. I've lurked on this board for a while and these women are supportive and knowledgeable. I suggest taking a step back and calming down. Internet strangers who take the time to write as much as firsttimer did only have your best interest at heart. 
    Posted by misssunshine17[/QUOTE]

This is why I hardly every post on boards: there's no way to correctly read a person's tone of voice.  I'm not blazing any guns, but I am annoyed that nothing can be apparently read in jest.  I also took the time to respond to her questions, which were very good, and also all the things I'd already considered.  I'm not new at fluctuating weight loss and the issues that go with it -- I don't think anyone makes it to the end of their 20s without being familiar with it.  I appreciate everyone's input, though.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_wedding-prepatation-weight-loss-and-birth-control?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:34eb3250-b7a3-4c1a-a2fe-9b1398af78f8Post:d0704a71-bc30-4c32-947f-fdbe2dccb56d">Re: wedding prepatation weight loss and birth control</a>:
    [QUOTE]They sound like good choices, but it really doesn't sound like enough calories to me. Plug it into MFP and see what you get, and check that against your height, age and weight to see the numbers you need to eat to maintain or lose. And take your measurements. Sometimes the scale doesn't change but your shape does. Muscle takes up less space than fat, so you may be smaller, but still be the same weight.
    Posted by jennylee813[/QUOTE]

Thank you, I will put in my foods and see what comes out! 

• OP - based on what you posted, it does sound like you are undereating, particularly if that is your diet on a day that you do heavy cardio and/or weightlifting!

Again I will recommend Myfitnesspal and tracking your food intake. It can be really enlightening.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_wedding-prepatation-weight-loss-and-birth-control?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:34eb3250-b7a3-4c1a-a2fe-9b1398af78f8Post:50f21283-3f2c-4c2f-85dd-b27152266847">Re: wedding prepatation weight loss and birth control</a>:
    [QUOTE]OP - based on what you posted, it does sound like you are undereating, particularly if that is your diet on a day that you do heavy cardio and/or weightlifting! Again I will recommend Myfitnesspal and tracking your food intake. It can be really enlightening.
    Posted by entropicbeauty[/QUOTE]

Thank you!  Yeah, I do a lot of weights -- wedding dress shoulders and all that -- so I will see if I'm unintentionally starving myself.  Oh, to be 22 again.

• As a pharmacist, I wanted to give my input on BC and weight gain. The only birth control that has been proven to cause weight gain is Depo-Provera (the shot), but if you seem to be having problems with others that you have tried, you could try a low dose pill or an IUD such as Mirena or ParaGard, or condoms are always an option. 

I would stay away from weight loss pills and supplements, as these tend to help with short-term weight loss but have no effect on long-term maintenence. I usually just lurk on this board, but the girls here are knowledgable and always give great advice! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was stuck for a long time until I started Insanity but working out is hald the battle I am sure it has something to do with your calorie intake. When I started Insanity and started logging my foods and I used a heart rate monitor so I  knew exactly how much I was burning I was able to lose 10 lbs if you have a facebook add me as a friend and maybe I can provide you with a little more info as well as some motivation and accountability I run challenege groups every month in which a group of girls hold each other accountable and help motivate and support each other to reach their goals. www.facebook.com/brenda.urios
  • In Response to Re: wedding prepatation weight loss and birth control:
    [.  But I'm not doing anything wrong, and every other time I've been on birth control (in any form, including a different version of the kind I currently take, as well as the shot for nearly a year) I've put on weight.  The only other medication I'm on is an asthma inhaler, and that's not a big deal.  I'm going to keep working at it, though, and maybe limit myself to one glass of wine, and stick to the diet my fiancee and I have set out to maintain.  That trainer is looking pretty good, too.
    Posted by DFracassa[/QUOTE]

This catches my eye, my FI was on an asthma inhaler as a child and that actually caused him to be quite tubby (I think it's cute).  The inhaler might have steroids to calm your air passage way.  Depending on the brand and dosage, that might cause it.  Although of course I am no medical doctor.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards