Getting in Shape

P90X - Bands or Weights?

So I'm in Week 4 of P90X and I'm realizing my one set of 8lb dumbbells and one light band is not cutting it.  I want to get more equipment, but money's tight.  I can get 3 bands at target for $20, whereas it will cost me at least $50 to just get a 5 lb and 12lb set of dumbbells.  Which leads to my question....

For those of you who use P90X, did you find that the bands worked?  How many different levels of resistance did you end up using?  Also, I don't have a pull up bar, and with the light resistance band I have those exercises don't feel like they're working AT ALL....do I need a pull up bar, or will a heavy band work? 

I'm finding mixed answers online so I thought I'd check here.  I'm just trying to tone, not build muscle.  I'd rather save $ and buy the bands, but I don't want to waste my money if they won't work well.  Thanks!
127image 88image 39imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: P90X - Bands or Weights?

• I just started PX90 so you are much further along in weeks than I am, but I will offer some suggestions that might help. 

We went to a local sotre that sells used weights to get our set. They were really reasonable and allowed us to get a few different sizes. The bands are helpful but I have never felt like I got the same work out when I used them each day. Bands are so variable, I always felt like every day I got a different feeling using the bands, weights are the same every day, in the long run, they won't stretch out like some low-quality bands can do. 

If you have the option of installing a pull up bar I would totally do that. I think those videos are set up in a way that you will get your best results if you are doing as similar of a workout as the program shows. We went onto youtube.com and found some videos on how to make a pull up bar that we could install in our basement using pipes. The supplies look really inexpensive!  Also, my new favorite friend is ebay.. search around you may be able to find a deal!

Hope it helps! 
  • I've been doing P90x on and off in the past. I actually do yoga during the week and on my days off I do p90x.  I have seen better resuts with the resistant bands in my opinion. I felt more muscle groups working if you have the proper form.
    Do you have a gym membership? If so, you could always make up for those pull ups you missed later on the day.I didn't have the pull up bars either (and still dont have them). I don't think that you get the same workour with the bands for that particulat move.
    One more thing. I HIGHLY suggest this video. I have literally dropped 3 lbs in a week (not water weight) and eating healthy with ONE cheat day a week.
    www.bodyrock.tv YOU HAVE TO CHECK IT OUT
    A friend of mine recommended it and its just a small little workout that you can do at home before work. Its literally 15-18 minutes of your day.
    Anywho, hope this helps!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker imagekayak
  • I think the investment in weights is worth it.  You can try posting on freecycle.org and see if anyone in your area has any they are willing to part with.  If you go on to finish P90X and want to try out other Beachbody products, the weights will work for most DVDs .  

• I like dumbbells better. I got some of mine at Target and others at Play It Again Sports which sells used equipment.

Anxiously awaiting baby #1! Baby BOY Due: May 30, 2013! Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Thanks ladies!
    127image 88image 39imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Another thing, I was looking for adjustable weights and found that Walmart sells Gold Gym adjustable weights for $39...so I'm starting p90x on the 1st and that's what I'll be using. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards