Getting in Shape

Getting in Shape!

Hi everyone,

I am new to the getting in Shape board and the knot in general. I still have less than two years until our wedding, but why wait to lose weight. I am slightly overweight for my age and I want to change that. I have done Zumba 2-3 times a week for the past year and a half and have lost about 10 pounds. However I feel like I am stuck. Zumba is very fun but doing the same class every week it starts to become repetitive and my body is noticing it.
About 2 weeks ago I have cut down Zumba to 1 class a week and joined bootcamp classes 3 times a week. I am enjoying the core, conditioning, cardio and weights aspect of bootcamp but I have gained weight! I do track my eating and i have slightly increased my calorie intake to 1400 per day. I'm sure it is just my body gaining muscle, but I would love to get your ideas about it!

Thank you!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Getting in Shape!

• Welcome!  You certainly have the right approach in not waiting, and it sounds like you've done a great job getting started!

I do agree with your weight gain comments (that it has to do with gaining muscle.)  I would really suggest taking your measurements once a month, rather than solely relying on the scale. Your body is going to go through a lot of changes, and in gaining muscle, you're not always going to be losing weight.  Taking measurements will more accurately reflect the fat loss, and may help you see things more positively even when the scale seems to have it out for you.
    If you need some more classes, try spin and body pump, too.  Also try venturing out onto the floor and trying some weight circuits on your own, or maybe set out on your own challenge with something like C25K (essentially, a learn to run a 5k program).
    Your calories sound pretty close to where they should be, though if you keep upping your workout, then make sure your calories go up, too.  It also depends on your height and weight, etc.  Also, track where those calories are coming from - be sure to get enough protein and healthy fats.

Anniversary
  • The more you work out, the more calories your body needs to function.  And yes you can gain weight when you gain muscle.  The best thing you can do, not just for your body but for your self-esteem is to not focus on the scale.  I lost a good bit of weight last semester and when I started working out my weight increased pound-wise but I looked smaller and leaner.  How your clothes fit can be a better indication than the scale.  

Make sure you switch things up though.  Weights are great, so is running.  Cardio is amazing and you feel great afterwards.  I know this won't help you lose weight exactly, but it can help your body in other ways: yoga.  I started this year and I love it.  It actually does work some muscles especially in your core when you hold some of the poses.  Good luck with the weightloss!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards