Getting in Shape

Toning up

I am not particularly looking to lose any weight....I'm pretty thin as it is...I just really need to tone things up. I've noticed a bit of unwanted flab in my arms...and a few more inches to grab on to around my mid section. Yikes!!

Any ideas on how I can tone up my arms, legs and thighs?!

Re: Toning up

• I wish I had some advice...I need to work on the same things!
  • The "toned" look you're referring to is simple building muscle.  While you can't spot reduce fat, you can increase the muscle size in certain areas.

For arms/back (and abs!), pushups are really great.  Check out the 100 Pushup Challenge.  If you can't do a full pushup on the ground (which is fine, I go from being able to do them to not) then make it easier by doing them on an elevation (hands on the counter, or a chair) instead of on your knees.  By doing them on an elevation, you'll keep your abs engaged and work more muscles.  Other beneficial things are rows, lat pulldowns and presses (overhead, incline bench, etc). 

For abs, I'm getting my butt, er abs, kicked by ab roll outs on a swiss ball these days.  Also good are the Russian twist and wood chops (google for explanations).  These types of moves are probably much more effective than just doing crunches, since they work more muscle groups.

The way to build muscle definition (and muscle) is to use a weight that's challenging for you, and consistently increase.  Aim for 3 sets with 8-12 reps, using a weight that will allow you to get at least 8 reps, and maybe 12 reps, but definitely not 14.  As soon as you can easily complete all 12 reps with good form, increase your weight.
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm getting married in May and I have just started the P90X workout to do the same thing! I'm not trying to lose weight either, I just want to look for toned and fit. It's a tough workout, but should be so worth it in the end!
  • P90x is CRAZY....but I love it! it definitely works. I'm 4 weeks in and already can feel the difference! Be careful with P90x though...you'll likely have to add more protein/calories to your diet to adjust for all the new muscle. Don't let yourself starve, just eat lots of healthy things!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards