Getting in Shape

NGISR - Let's talk skincare, specifically exfoliants and rosacea

Good morning.

So just before my wedding I noticed a few red dots on my cheek.  Fast forward a year, and it's full blown rosacea.  I'm totally stressed out and it looks terrible, plus my skin is really dry.  I just started using Prosacea which has helped a bit.  I also tried Metrogel which did nothing. 

Questions:

1 - Does anyone have rosacea?  Any tips on products, a skincare regimen or Rxs that help?

2 - If you exfoliate regularly, what do you use?  Normally I use Olay's microdermabrasion kit which I LOVE, but am afraid to use with the rosacea.  Do you use something gentler?

TIA!!

Re: NGISR - Let's talk skincare, specifically exfoliants and rosacea

• I've become a hippy when it comes to facial care - I don't use any harsh chemicals on my skin anymore. I actually exfoliate with honey (raw organic honey). It's actually LESS expensive than facial cleansers and it's more gentle and natural. Some people add brown sugar to exfoliate more, but I find the honey works fine on it's own (it also softens your skin like no other!)

I do not have rosacea so I can't speak to that specifically, but I do get breakouts of eczema on occasion - lotions and exfoliants with oatmeal in them tend to help calm the area when I do have an outbreak.

If you haven't already, definitely talk to a dermatologist (though of course they will prescribe stuff with lots of nasty chemicals in them).
  • 1 - Does anyone have rosacea?  Any tips on products, a skincare regimen or Rxs that help?
    I do not have rosacea, so I can't help with this question, sorry!

2 - If you exfoliate regularly, what do you use?  Normally I use Olay's microdermabrasion kit which I LOVE, but am afraid to use with the rosacea.  Do you use something gentler?
    I use my Clarisonic once a day.  A quick Google search seems to have mixed reviews as to whether or not they should be used with rosacea.  So if you want to go this route, you should check with your dermatologist.  For everyone else, I love my Clarisonic and definitely recommend it!

Do you want some moisturizer suggestions?  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited February 2013
    Rosacea is an autoimmune disease, so avoid foods that cause chronic inflammation such as alcohol and vegetable oils. olive and coconut are OK. Cut back on wheat and dairy if you may be sensitive to them. I have a family history of autoimmune disease rheumatoid arthritis, rosacea, vitiligo so I'm up to speed on this stuff because I'm determined to stave these things off as much as I can!
  • Also, I have very sensitive skin dermographism but I find exfoliation products do not do a good job exfoliating AND they irritate and dry out my skin. So I just use exfoliation gloves in the shower to avoid chemicals and to really control the exfoliation.
  • To heathers point, I would also ask your dermatologist about the clarisonic. Most people think its an exfoliating tool, but its actually designed for people with sensitive or combination skin, and for those with skin issues, so you might want to see if its appropriate for you.
    Anniversary
  • I, too, have become rather hippy with my skin care routine...me--the girl who was put on accutane twice if that's any indication--and it never fully worked IMHO. So les just say I have sensitive skin ;) I now swear by Aztec Secret bentonite clay mask (use as needed, I do it a few times a month- some reviews are here http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showreview.asp/page=1/pagesize=20/ItemID=74122/SortBy=helpful/AgeRange=0/SkinToneType=-2/ ) and oil cleansing (just do a google search for the term, I've recently started doing it following the clay mask routine) as needed (I live in Colorado so it's super nice in the winter and I feel like it takes years off my face (ok I'm not that old but let's just say that grad school ingrained a furrow that I'm now willing away :). Just some thoughts. Oh and these are super affordable, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards