Getting in Shape

Seriously....help needed :)

So FI and I started working out last week...we have been very faithful. I have mostly been doing cardio and I have been doing some body weight squats, lunges, jump ropes, and some free weights for arms. I weight 155 lbs. last monday...today I weigh 162. THIS MAKES NO SENSE!! I am not dieting per say, but I am not over eating either.  Any help or suggestions? :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Seriously....help needed :)

• First off, muscle weighs more than fat.

Secondly, you need to make sure you weigh yourself under the same circumstances every time. For me, I wait until the morning and I make sure I've always gone to the bathroom first (you can lose like 2 lbs just from peeing!).

Also, if it's around that time of the month for you, that usually adds some water weight from the bloating.

Don't get discouraged, you're still on the right path :)
  • Track those calories!  You may find that you're not eating enough, at which point with the additional exercise, your body will be trying to retain everything it can.  You might also find that you think you're eating better than you truly are - all of those little "I'll just have one" moments can certainly add up.
    Anniversary
  • Losing weight and getting healthy is about 80% diet and 20% exercise.  It seems like you have the working out part down, now you just need to clean up your eating habits. 

Start tracking your calories so you can see exactly what you're eating.  Sites like MyFitnessPal.com and Spark People are great for this.  
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks so much ladies! I just signed up for My Fitness Pal. I think I just needed the motivation from other Knotties!!  I will get my act together and LOSE THIS WEIGHT! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yeah.. ok so muscle does weigh more than fat and all.. and I definitely agree that you should track your food input... But that's a big gain in just a week for a woman. 
    So on top of you putting on muscle and whatnot, I'm pulling the waterweight  card. 
    Seriously, that's a lot of weight for a girl in 7 days. I'm guessing you were low water wise the first time you weighed yourself, and thsi last time, you were high. If you're wanting to go the scale route to see your progress, make sure that absolutely everything is consistent. Weigh yourself at the same time, in the same (or same-ish) clothing, after the similar amount of calories eating for that day (if any) .
  • shaunaceyhshaunaceyh member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012

make sure you're taking measurements!!!! while muscle and fat weigh the same (a pound is a pound) - a pound of muscle takes up less room than a pound of fat. SOOO you may have gained some muscle, lost fat, but be losing inches as well!!
    my greatest success has been my loss of inches. If I were just looking at the scale I would have been sooooooo discouraged! Trust me! well worth it and totally help keeps you motivated!

• oh and with PP - make sure you weigh yourself at the same time. Our weight fluctuates a lot in a day. I usually do it right when I get up (after I pee).
  • Your gaining muscle.
    Are you measuring your inches? you could still be losing inches, and not weight.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_seriouslyhelp-needed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:604c0fb8-0b42-43ef-939b-ba68243d3760Post:22b434c9-c2fc-4874-86c5-7864f7d5f0c4">Re: Seriously....help needed :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your gaining muscle. Are you measuring your inches? you could still be losing inches, and not weight.
    Posted by Reblefari[/QUOTE]

Not in a week.

In a week, that big of a gain is absolutely water weight/bloat.  3500 extra calories is a pound, so you do the math--I'm guessing there's no way you ate that many extra calories.

Another thing to keep in mind--when you build up your muscles, and they get sore in the process, you retain more water.  Damaged muscle (which is how it gets stronger) wants the water.  So it holds on to it.  I'm always up a couple pounds the day after a really intense workout that makes me really sore.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • ^ holymoly so true (what J&K said) 
    Every time I do a good lifting day, I feel incredibly bloated for a WEEK afterward. My muscles just soak up and retain all water.. AWEFUL feeling for that next week, but then it all drops out and I'm back to good :o
  • Eat less (and healthier). Exercise more. There really is no simpler way of putting it. It's basic energy expenditure vs. intake. 

My trick is that I read while doing cardio, either cycle or treadmill. A good novel really makes the time fly, and I'm working out.
  • Hey! Im on a 1200 calorie a day diet. Its tediuos yes, but Ive lost 20 lbs this month and I barley work out. It works fast, so if you have patience and dedication you can do this. Calories for everything, you can find online, its so easy now and the weight is melting off me. Good luck dear :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_seriouslyhelp-needed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:604c0fb8-0b42-43ef-939b-ba68243d3760Post:22b434c9-c2fc-4874-86c5-7864f7d5f0c4">Re: Seriously....help needed :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Your gaining muscle. Are you measuring your inches? you could still be losing inches, and not weight.
    Posted by Reblefari[/QUOTE]

<div>Seriously? You don't gain 7 pounds of muscle doing mostly cardio.</div>
    imageimageimage
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_seriouslyhelp-needed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:604c0fb8-0b42-43ef-939b-ba68243d3760Post:15133262-51e5-45bf-9deb-b371317ad4b7">Re: Seriously....help needed :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Seriously....help needed :) : Seriously? You don't gain 7 pounds of muscle doing mostly cardio.
    Posted by kristinanddan[/QUOTE]

I totally gain a pound of muscle every day by doing mostly cardio.  Just call me Ronnie Coleman.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_seriouslyhelp-needed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:604c0fb8-0b42-43ef-939b-ba68243d3760Post:45015e8b-2fc9-4a34-9dc5-1fa685cced86">Re: Seriously....help needed :)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey! Im on a 1200 calorie a day diet. Its tediuos yes, but Ive lost 20 lbs this month and I barley work out. It works fast, so if you have patience and dedication you can do this. Calories for everything, you can find online, its so easy now and the weight is melting off me. Good luck dear :)
    Posted by ngentile86[/QUOTE]

<div>This doesn't sound like advice you should even consider taking.  20 lbs/month and barely working out?  Definitely not maintainable in the long run.</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards