Getting in Shape
Options

Jan 1st starts a new me!

Hi Ladies!

So, i decided that January 1st is going to start a brand new me! I want to loose at least 20-25 pounds for my August 3, 2012 wedding. 
I'm really not sure what diet to do though. Last year, I went to the gym, cut my calorie intake in half and was talking healthe trim. That seemed to work but I wasn't getting the results I ultimately wanted. 
Any great diets out there that REALLY work?! I'm up for any suggestions! TIA!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Jan 1st starts a new me!

• Options
    Yes!  The best diet out there is called:  a lifestyle change.

Pills don't work long term and have seriously scary side effects.  Plans with overpriced products and meals you have to buy are a waste of money and don't teach you the proper way to feed yourself.  Cleanses and products like HCG are scary, can seriously damage your body, and will stop working once you start eating normally again.

So, the best thing to do is track your calories.  Try a free site like My Fitness Pal, Livestrong, or Spark People.  Make sure you're not eating too much, but you're eating enough (consistently netting less than 1200 calories a day--taking into account what you burn during exercise--can tank your metabolism and stall out your weight loss, not to mention have harmful effects on your body).  Put down the chips and snack on fresh fruits and veggies instead.  Move away from processed foods in favor of real, whole foods as much as possible.  Healthy fats, protein, and whole grains are your friend (unless you have a medical reason to not eat one or more of them). 

Weight loss is 80% what you eat, and 20% the exercise you do--but exercise is priceless for improving health, endurance, appearance, etc.  Weight training is a GOOD thing. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    RWS2011RWS2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since I do not know you or your fitness history at all, the following is all general info. 

1. Your weight loss depends on what is actually a healthy or ideal weight for your height.  If you are trying to lose weight and are already in a healthy weight range, it will be harder to do.  

2. There is no magic fad diet that will help you to lose weight in a healthy, sustainable way.

3. You might have been cutting calories TOO much.  If you are not taking in the correct number of calories, especially if your energy output increases, your body will go into a fat storing mode.  Alternately if you cut calories, but your consume higher fat/lower protein foods, you will also not get the best results.  You need to determine a healthy range of calories that will allow for weight loss, focusing on fruits, vegetables, lean protein, and whole grains.  You can do this through weight loss calculators online or through free sites that help you track your weight loss such as myfitnesspal, calorie counter, or Spark People.  

4. Make sure you are including strength training in your fitness program as you will increase the effectiveness of your cardio, create better overall tone, and lose more inches this way (inches matter more than pounds, because in the end it is all about how the clothes fit, not what the scale says.)  Again the free online sites listed can help you design strength training plans that can be done at home or in the gym and track your fitness as well.  Or, a few sessions with a personal trainer can help you get on the right track to help you achieve your goals.

On a person note, I have been using Spark People to monitor my food intake and fitness output and lost 9 pounds in just over 3 weeks.  My focus has been on healthy eating, cooking most of my meals, getting enough water and sleep every day, cardio 3 to 4 days a week (I mostly just use Walk Away the Pounds for now), and at home strength training using plans from Spark People.  Then again, I am overweight, so the pounds come off a bit faster!  I hope some of this info helps and congratulations on your engagement!

Edit: J&K beat me to the punch on many of my salient points.  Smile

• Options
    Also?  In a truly healthy "diet" (I use the term to describe what you eat daily, not a short term intake change), NOTHING is ever completely off limits.  You can absolutely lose weight while still enjoying the things you love (for me?  Pizza, wine, chocolate), as long as you do it reasonably and in moderation.  I have pizza about once a month, chocolate almost daily, and wine about once a week or so.  The key is to limit yourself to moderation, and sometimes just knowing it's not off limits will do a world of good for your self control.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies, you both gave me awesome advice! I'm going to check out the websites you spoke of. 
    Once I put my mind to it I really do a "lifestyle" change. We went on a cruise in September and once I got back I was completely thrown off my schedule and pretty much gave up. I've gained 3 pounds back but still I can tell there is a difference. 
    Now, I'm super motivated because I only have 7 months till my big day and I want to look absolutely stunning!! 
    I'll keep you posted ladies!! Thanks again for everything!! :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I say you consult a personal trainer. Some gyms even have nutritionists and they can be a big help as well. This morning I was working out with my trainer and he told me that 80% of my results will come from my diet and 20% from exercise. I would highly recommend meeting with a trainer at least a couple of times because they can teach you how to get the best results in the least amount of time, plus they will teach you how to properly do workouts so that you will not hurt yourself. Also my trainer has me eating 5 small meals per day because this way I do not get super hungry and totally pig out. Also up your water intake to 60-80 oz per day, you will eat less this way and you will start feeling a lot better (you may have to pee more) Good Luck!
  • Options
    SAME HERE!!  Not just a new years resolution, but a goal to attain by my September 1st wedding date. I want to feel good about myself and not by worrying about bra bulge or my tummy sticking out when I should be enjoying myself. :) I will do this with you if you want, i'm planning on buying the 30day shred by jillian michaels, and cutting carbohydrates dramatically!! Bread is my weakness. :) Might be cool to have another knottie along with you to help eachother stay on track!! Feel free to email me - meer.anda@hotmail.com
  • Options
    Diets are not good! well for some people they work. Try and just change your ways of eating. i sell weightloss at my work. try and eat meat without four legs, like chicken, fish, shrimp, turkey, etc.
    i cut off breads, oils for cooking i only use olive oil now, and no more chips or luxuries in my home. and if you want to shed more weight faster. and you feel healthy enough? try finding a clinic in which they do body wraps and detox. but only with your doctors consent. i had done a detox for 4 days and shed 6 pounds. but you have to make sure your body is healthy enough! good luck! i have belly fat to lose by july! first fitting! yikes!
    good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • Options
    I am in also!! I just bought 30 day shred by Jillian Michaels, and am ready to start on Jan. 1...Good luck knotties - WE CAN DO IT!!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards