Getting in Shape
Options

Measurements?

I've been dieting and working out pretty consistently for almost 4 weeks now and I'm pretty proud of myself. I allow myself one splurge day a week and I don't go crazy. When I started, I decided I wasn't going to record measurements because I didn't want to get discouraged by the numbers. I decided I would weigh myself once every 2 weeks and that would be it. But even that gets discouraging (even though I know muscle weighs more than fat). I can tell a difference in the way my clothes are fitting, but one of my friends encouraged me to start taking my measurements to see the progress I'm making. Any thoughts??

Re: Measurements?

• Options
    I recommend taking measurements. They are a better bet for keeping you motivated than the scale is! I like to use both. :)

GL!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Agreed with Sarah I use both. I find actually if I use both I usually see a change about once a month in one of them so I end up less discouraged. Like Kwitherington said though pay attention to those non-measurement stats like your clothes fitting better, or even just feeling better and more healthy.
    Aug 2013 Brides - January Siggy Wedding Site, Pinecrest Lake: imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I suggest taking measurements. In the last 4 months of eating clean and working out 6 days a week, I actually haven't lost any weight.  It's very discouraging!  But I have lost a significant amount of inches which has kept me going!  I measure 1-2 x a month, and measure waist, hips, leg and arm.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    This is totally a person by person call. I don't like to obsess over the numbers and I think clients can get very frustrated/develop disordered eating tendencies for the scale/tape measure to change. If you can tell a difference in your clothes, you're doing something right.

As a dietitian I also want to encourage you to start taking note of the non-number results. How are you feeling? Do you have better energy? Is your hunger under control?

It's up to you!
    -Carlene RD
    Carlene R.D. Registered Dietitian*Wedding Wellness Nutrition* http://carlenesfigments.wordpress.com/wedding-wellness/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards