Getting in Shape

Anyone have tips for weight loss/toning up?

Ok so I'm 19 (almost 20) 4'11, and weigh 115 lbs. In high school I usually stayed between 98-102 (seems really little but since I'm so short, it's still a very healthy weight for me). Since I started college, I gained the infamous freshman fifteen. My ultimate goal is to change my lifestyle overall by eating healthier, working out on a daily basis and cut back on drinking (not that I'm an alcoholic or anything lol).

So I've been keeping my calories around 1200 per day and have been doing the p90x lean routine. I haven't lost weight yet but that's probably cause I haven't stuck to it as much as I should. But other than just sticking to the workout and eating right, are there any tips? Eating a certain number of calories or working out at a certain time of day or anything?

I would like to weigh around 100 lbs by the time I take engagement pictures in April/May.

Re: Anyone have tips for weight loss/toning up?

• Sensible diet and exercise always wins over. You actually may be eating under what you should be. Try http://www.myfitnesspal.com it's a calorie calculator that also lets you see how much you've burned with cardio and adjusts your calorie intake accordingly.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I second PP.  You can actually cause your body to gain weight if your calorie intake is too low for your activity level.  Your body goes into starvation mode and starts saving everything it can because it thinks it needs to ration it out.

I'd also focus more on how you feel in your body.  I was also really light in high school, and from graduating high school to graduating college I gained about 25 pounds.  However, while some of it was some extra college flab, some of it was just the final, normal amount of weight my body had yet to gain and grow into.  I've lost the flab and now, if I may say so myself, have a pretty rocking body going on, but that only required me losing about 8 of those pounds.  The rest is natural muscle and what not.  Don't worry so much about being at your high school weight, because that might no longer be a healthy weight for you.  Make a goal like being able to see your ab definition again (which is what my motivation was).

For any weight you will lose, the less distance you have to go pound to pound, the longer it will take to see it come off.  When I started working out to get rid of my flab and redefine some of my muscle groups, it took a solid 4 to 6 weeks for me to really see any kind of change at all.
  • edited January 2012
    I started doing 30 days straight of exercise no if ands or buts. So I am on day 13 of at least 30  minutes of activities. I feel better, have more endurance and the scale is starting to move. For exercise to help with weight loss you have to create a new habit and keep exercise a priority. This is what's working for me, I actually think about going to the gym or taking a 45 min walk first thing in the morning. I previously lost 30 pounds just running at least 4 days a week and watching what I ate. I adapted the little engine that could attitude Just keep going.
  • Thanks! I will try the website and see what it says Smile
  • Just filled in all the info and it says 1200 calories per day. So looks like I'm on track with that. Only losing 4 pounds a month seems so discouraging though (1 pound a week). I know that 1 pound per week is healthy though.
  • Also, don't be surprised if you gain muscle weight while doing P90X (you don't kid around, do you?!).  I suggest some other sort of way to monitor than just weight:  waist circumference, perhaps, or being able to see ab definition.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_anyone-tips-weight-losstoning-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:820e2597-35f3-4890-b2d7-fd77b203624ePost:7d29bb88-5fb1-4bd7-870b-2dfcd915c4a6">Re: Anyone have tips for weight loss/toning up?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I started doing 30 days straight of exercise no if ands or buts. So I am on day 13 of at least 30  minutes of activities. 
    Posted by bchbride062012[/QUOTE]

<div>Be careful!!!  Never underestimate the importance of rest days... 30 days of training straight and you might be overtraining which can lead to a host of other issues as well as injury.</div>
    Counting Down the Days... Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_anyone-tips-weight-losstoning-up?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:820e2597-35f3-4890-b2d7-fd77b203624ePost:8d85e2be-8ba7-44ae-9218-988b672bc8c0">Re: Anyone have tips for weight loss/toning up?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Also, don't be surprised if you gain muscle weight while doing P90X (you don't kid around, do you?!).  I suggest some other sort of way to monitor than just weight:  waist circumference, perhaps, or being able to see ab definition.
    Posted by karenmruff[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha my fiance got the DVD's and it's just way more convenient than going to the gym. But I love the program! Really does give you an amazing work out! And yes of course, I'm definitely not just looking at my weight. My main goal is just to feel healthy and comfortable with my body. The weight is just more of a "guideline" for me I guess? But if I weighed 110 (or whatever) and felt healthy and liked how I looked I would be completely fine with it. I was just basing my goal weight on how much I weighed when I played soccer in high school (I really loved my body then and I felt great!).</div>
  • Jackie Warner's Personal Training Power Circuit Training video works great for toning up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards