Getting in Shape

Poll: Cold Weather Food

To sort of play on yesterday's poll, how does your eating change in the colder months?  Are there any foods that make it back into regular rotation and any that go into hibernation?

We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Poll: Cold Weather Food

• For us, the return of the cold weather means a lot more soups and stews and crockpot meals on the menu.

Every week when I'm coming up with our menu I ask my H "Any dinner requests this week?" and when the thermometer starts the drop his answer is always soup.

Sadly, when it gets cold I usually put away the BBQ. 
    We'll just not tell H about this little fact, m'kay?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Dinners are mostly the same, but lunches are more soup and a lot fewer salads.  Breakfast is getting hard, because I really like my protein smoothies but having something cold is hard as it gets chilly.  I'm not sure what I'll replace the smoothies with yet.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I love soup to begin with, and it's tough to give it up in the summer, esp since we don't have central air.   Some days, window units do nothing for PA humidity.  So, yes, soup and crock pot meals are coming back en force right now (since we also don't turn on the heat unless we have to, haha).  I eat more oatmeal in the winter, and less cereal for brekkie. 
    Visit The Nest!

My Planning Bio Married Bio

I'm not a newb, aka swim1011
  • I love soup to begin with, and it's tough to give it up in the summer, esp since we don't have central air.   Some days, window units do nothing for PA humidity.  So, yes, soup and crock pot meals are coming back en force right now (since we also don't turn on the heat unless we have to, haha).  I eat more oatmeal in the winter, and less cereal for brekkie. 
    Visit The Nest!

My Planning Bio Married Bio

I'm not a newb, aka swim1011
  • I try to eat seasonal food whenever possible, and (living in Canada) there is quite a change in food between summer and winter.

Summer - lots of BBQing, fresh salads with tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.  Lots of raw veggies and grilled veggies (peppers, zucchini, etc.)

Winter brings on more root vegetables - carrots, squash, potatoes.  And these are things that are conducive to soup, so I too make a lot more soup in the winter than in the summer.  Also in the summer I avoid (as much as possible) cooking in the house, I do as much BBQing as I can.  So in the winter I do more cooking indoors with things in the oven - casseroles, lasagne, shepherd's pie, etc.

Breakfast isn't really affected - cereal and milk and fruit year-round.
  • I retire any summer fruits and veggies- so no more watermelon/strawberries, but I add in pomegrantes which I LOVE. I eat half of one every night

FI and I also eat butternut squash twice a week.

We also do a lot more carb-heavy items. Mac and cheese, spaghetti and meatballs, etc.

August 2011: E-Pic! Photobucket
    229 image Invited to celebrate!
    191 image Remembered to RSVP!
    26 image Can't make it
    7 image Got lost on the way to the mailbox

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Definitely soup! I love that Sam's Club sells Panera Breads low fat chicken noodle, so good! I also recently bought a crock pot and am going to try some new dinners! I think I also do more potatoes during the winter months. I love to mix together regular and sweet potatoes for my mashed potatoes, it has a great flavor.
  • Soup!

Sadly, no more berries.  In the winter the only fruits I eat are apples, grapes, and bananas.  oh, or canned pineapple.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards