Getting in Shape
Options

My first 5K

I'm going to sign up for my first 5K tomorrow. I'm very excited. I found out about the race this morning and on a whim decided to do it. I've never ran other than in middle school gym class once a year. I've already downloaded a C25k app. I'm ready to get started!

I was just wondering if some of you ladies who do run could give me some tips? I have practacilly new running shoes. I've worn them twice on a treadmill. I don't have any "running clothes," but I have gym clothes.

What sort of time goal should I set for myself? I don't want it to be something beyond my reach. I want something reasonable that I can actually accomplish. The run is Aug 25th.

TIA!

Re: My first 5K

• Options
    jjswinjjswin member
    First Comment
    I am using the C25K app myself, (in the 4th week). I have never been a runner and never thought I could actually stick with the program. But I am and feel like my body has adjusted. The first week and a half was rough but it's not that bad now. Just be sure to drink lots of water before and after. The program is 9 weeks but a lot of girls told me sometimes you feel like you need to repeat a week so the 9 weeks is just a guideline. Good luck to you!
  • Options
    I also used the C25K for my first 5k! I will say if you are not a runner and have never ever been a runner don't be afraid to repeat the weeks. I had to do this several times. I started this about 3 months before my first 5k and I think I repeated almost every week. Important things are to stay hydrated and fueled. Grab a quick snack before you go out to run and make sure you are drinking water. I did not use the actual C25K app, but I did get the schedule online. If the app doesn't track your distance download a app called "map my run" it will track your distance so you can see how far you are getting. It helped me a lot. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options

Good for you.   For your first race I would just set a goal of finishing the race.   Crossing the finish line is a big accomplishment.   You don't want that clouded by the fact that you didn't hit some number on a clock. 

August 2012 - Married! Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    awesome! i agree with a PP dont worry too much about time, finishing is the most important. i did the C25K program and ran my first 5K in april. i sort of slacked off at the end because it got harder, so listen to PP's tip and always get out and do something! fortunately the adrenaline on the day of the race helped me to finish, i ran the whole thing, and i was faster than my normal pace. i finished in about 35 minutes, while when i was training on the treadmill i would run at 5mph which is a 12 minute mile. i was proud of that even though i know from a runner's POV thats not fast, for me it was an accomplishment.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kaos16kaos16 member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    When i'm on a run I like to set little goals for myself.  For instance, I'll run at a regular pace for awhile, then sprint to the 5th telephone pole (for example).  Run at a regular pace again, then sprint to another reference point, etc. 

When actually running a 5k I always push myself at the end to beat anyone near me.  I'm a bit competitive.  These sprints make that easier.

In addition, maybe check out the course where your first 5k is being held. . . . if you know the layout of the land regarding hills and whatnot it can help you to be prepared for them, to know where you'll need some extra energy  :)

Good luck and have a great time. . . . they are addictive!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone!

I really think for as bad of shape as I am in and how close the race is that just finishing would be a really good goal!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards