Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth
Options

San Juan, Puerto Rico vs. Barbados in July... PLEASE weigh in!

We want to book our honeymoon now, but we cant decide between these two islands.

There aren't many posts on the knot about Puerto Rico or Barbados, so I would appreciate ANY opinions on these islands.

We are going in July
We plan on staying a week
We want an all inclusive resort
We enjoy good food, great people, beautiful beaches, and lots of fun stuff to do.

Please let me know if you have any opinions on either of these islands, resorts on these islands, or know something through friends or family about these places.

Any information is appreciated!
Thank you!
-Beth

first camping trip engagement
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: San Juan, Puerto Rico vs. Barbados in July... PLEASE weigh in!

• Options
    Jay+MarissaJay+Marissa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you tried the honeymoon board?
  • Options
    bethlovesjimbethlovesjim member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Marissa,
    I have! There isn't anything about Barbados, or Puerto Rico. Its kind of discouraging.  I'm even asking my facebook friends now! LOL 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Weird--I believe Almoyo went to San Juan...maybe she'll weigh in
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I hope so Marissa!  Thank you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    tnickel06tnickel06 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure if Puerto Rico has an all inclusive resort because it is part of the US(or something like that, you don't need a passport to go there).

I've never heard much about Barbados which is probably why you haven't seen much either.

My pick would be Puerto Rico even though it may not have any all inclusive.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would go ahead and warn you about it being hurricane season...so if you do decide to go during that time, definitely get travel insurance.  I wanted to go to Jamaica in July but have decided I don't want to risk it and instead we're looking into Puerto Vallarta.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you go to San Juan, don't stay near the airport...it's not a good area and I would not feel safe walking around. FI and I flew into San Juan to board the ship for a cruise last year, so I didn't see  much of the Island except the drive from the airport to the port. And yes it will be hot...
    June 2011 Siggy Challenge: My Dress
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I haven't been to either so I can't help too much.  But for what its worth...

-Puerto Rico won't have any all inclusives since it is in the US.  You can probably get a meal plan or something similar though.  You can get relatively short, direct flights.

-Barbados - would be amazing...however have you looked at the cost of flights and the amount of time your going to spend in the air yet?  I just did a quick search and the cheapest I can find is $725/ticket for July and there are no direct flights...your going to spend at least 8 hours on a plane each way. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    did you try a travel agent? they we able to help for sure.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you go to Puerto Rico (or really any place) check out vbro.com--you can rent an awesome, beautiful condo for a cheap price

Look at this beautiful one in Old San Juan for $150/night

http://www.vrbo.com/88413
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

A lot of mixed reviews on PR... Its going to be a tough decision.
    We LOVE beautiful beaches, and AI's on the beach, so I'm thinking Barbados... But the cost makes me think PR might be the right decision. I do love PR food and the culture would be amazing to experience, I'm sure.

AGH!  you know what would make this an easy decision?  If a cruise ship would decide to embark from the Dominican Republic in 2011.  I dont understand why they stopped?  that was where we REALLY wanted to go.

Thanks for all of your help. This really does help me out.

P.S.  Can anyone recommend a good travel agent?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    our travel agent has been awesome to work with and got us a way better deal than we were able to find on our own for the same time and place:
    Caryn AngusCruise Planners/Ca-Travel(817) 889-2745ca-travel@sbcglobal.netwww.ca-travel.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards