Getting in Shape

Dr. Oz

Hello, I really do not come to this board very often.

In the last year I have lost 38 lbs. I was 212 now 174. A size 18 then and a 12 now. I did it by making a life style change (eating much healthier and exercising 5-6 days a week).

I have also been taking a couple of natural supplements that include: 7-Keto DHEA, L-Carnitine, Vitamin C, and B Complex. All have been a great help in my weight loss and all have been on the Dr. Oz show. What I like about his show is that he does not condone diet pills and none that I take are diet pills just natural stuff.

I watch Dr. Oz almost every day and for the past 3 months I have seen him advertise raspberry Keytone at least 4-5 times. It is supposed to help with fat burning. After watching him again today advertise this natural product I ordered it off of Amazon.

Has anyone used this before. There were lots of mixed reviews on Amazon?

Re: Dr. Oz

• edited March 2012
    Okay, so... I'm going to start off letting you know that I go all-natural and "clean eating" in every way possible. 
    I may be a little more biased than you want. 

Keto DHEA is a hormone our bodies create on their own by glands near the kidneys. You should only be taking that supplement should a doctor tell you your body isn't secreting enough of it, otherwise you're overdosing your body on a hormone. It's a way of "cheating" to burn more calories/fat and it's not normal.

Side effects have not been fully determined for someone using it as a supplement. That tells me that researchers don't know what kind of long-term health effects this supplement may have on your body yet, because it's newer to the scene. So... looks like our generation is going to be the first guinea pigs on that one. 

here is what wiki says about Raspberry Keytone:

Since the natural abundance of raspberry ketone is very low, it is prepared industrially by a variety of methods from chemical intermediates.[6] One of the ways this can be done is through a crossed aldol-catalytic hydrogenation. In acetone and sodium hydroxide4-hydroxybenzaldehyde can form the α,β-unsaturated ketone. This then goes through catalytic hydrogenation to produce raspberry ketone. This method produces a 99% yield.[7]

When given to mice in very high doses (up to 2% of food intake), raspberry ketone has been shown to prevent high-fat-diet-induced elevations in body weight.[8] However, no effects on body weight were observed with doses up to 200 times greater than the estimated intake in humans.[9] The high dose effect is reported to stem from the alteration of lipid metabolism, increasing norepinephrine-induced lipolysis. Although products containing this compound are marketed for weight loss, there is no clinical evidence for this effect in humans

I get that people swear by Dr. Oz, webmd, shape magazine, etc.. but understand that you HAVE to do your own research. You have no idea what he is endorsing just because it's helping his paycheck. You. Don't. Know. 

You also need to check, double check, and triple check that all these supplements your injesting won't react with each other. 

GL op
  • I feel like it's just another Dr Oz fad.

Not that he doesn't give great advice, but most of the things he suggests contain nutrients that can be gained through naturally eating healthy.  i wouldn't waste my money.
  • Oh, and just a heads up.. It's possible to OD on Vitamin C and B vitamins. 
    Yes, usually your body just flushes the extra out and you just have pretty, brightly colored pee, but your liver/kidneys still have to process that.. And that puts added strain on those things.. 

I used to be a redbull fantatic along with a couple other things that had high B levels (mainly B6) 
    Until I started feeling my thigh and feet go numb at random. It freaked me out and I thought it was just a really badly pinched nerve.
    Nope. Not so much. I was overdosing on B vitamins without realized it and that's a side effect.. .As is severe fatigue (I know.. Ironic) among many others.

• I am only taking 50 mg of DHEA a day so I am pretty sure that is okay! I have heard of ppl taking up to 200 mg a day and I def. would not do that. I have told my Dr. I was on it and he was completely fine with that.

Thanks for the info on the raspberry stuff. I really, really appreciate it!
  • edited March 2012
    I am only taking 1 B Complex and 1 C vitamin a day. I do not eat tons of oranges or dink any orange juice so I think that is okay. My Gyno told me to take the B Complex because of my severe fatigue.
  • Okay, great. 
    Most people come on and start talking about all this stuff with no doctor checks.. so glad you have ran it past yours! 

Yeah, I was having severe fatigue for a long time and was getting sooo angry with it because I sleep well, work out ever day, eat GREAT stuff, and only drink coffee in the morning... I was struggling to get through the days with redbulls and then realized.. it's the b vitamins that are killing me haha.. 
    Obviously for you it's the opposite (and probably more common) so glad you have found stuff to help you. 

Yeah, I honestly don't know much about the Raspberry stuff (which is why I wiki'ed it :P ). As long as you are running things past your doctor, though, it sounds like you'll be fine. 

• Dr. Oz is almost as crazy as Dr. Drew, who is almost as crazy as Dr. Phil, who is almost as crazy as Oprah.

Aka, they're all whackjobs.

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • MadisonpennyMadisonpenny member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_dr-oz?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:ad721c2f-4137-46ef-a829-0147093bcc2dPost:5eb3eb0b-2d8e-47f7-9721-85e38764c0b6">Re: Dr. Oz</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dr. Oz is almost as crazy as Dr. Drew, who is almost as crazy as Dr. Phil, who is almost as crazy as Oprah. Aka, they're all whackjobs.
    Posted by J&K10910[/QUOTE]

Lol.. made my day
    . Anniversary aandt image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards