Getting in Shape

Cold Sore

Hey lovlies,

I have a cold sore and I'm worried people at the gym will not want me to use the equipment because of it. If you saw someone at the gym with a coldsore would you think about asking them to leave??

Re: Cold Sore

• Never. I get them all the time. When I went to the gym in our apt complex, I would put a band aid over it and when I left, take it off. Its crazy...

Getting Hitches 08/09/2014

• To be perfectly honest, they should not be close enough to you to tell you've got a cold sore. 

Be curteous and make sure you're not touching your face and then touching the equipment, but beyond that they really can't expect you to hole yourself in your house like you've got the plague. 

I've gone to the gym with cold sores, but I follow my above advice...which doesn't just help other people, it also helps make sure you're not spreading it around on yourself either.
  • Yeah, that's mainly what I'm worried about. That other gym members will be worried I will touch the equipment and spread it. But thanks girls it's good to know I'm not alone.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cold-sore?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:b15a5fdf-3423-4752-8773-28638148296fPost:a057617e-7c79-4af2-be87-b429a0ffcf13">Re: Cold Sore</a>:
    [QUOTE]Unless you are licking the equipment, or touching it and then touching other stuff a lot, I don't see the problem. I know the gym has germs. The last thing I do before I leave is wash my hands. Twice.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>awww crap.. We're not suppose to lick equipment?! I've been doing it all wrong :/ </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>But seriously. </div><div>Nah. I don't get them, and am careful to not share my make up, chapstick, etc with people so that I never end up with them... But I wouldn't think twice about someone at the gym with one!! </div><div>1. You should be wiping down your equipment when you're done</div><div>2. People concerned can wipe down their equipment before they start (I often do this on busy days anyway justb ecause I know not everyone does so when they finish) </div><div>3. APPARENTLY, you shouldn't be making out with equipment... sooo</div><div>I think you're safe :) </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cold-sore?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:b15a5fdf-3423-4752-8773-28638148296fPost:08525ee7-061d-45c0-9b7c-1141b60a40d3">Re: Cold Sore</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold Sore : awww crap.. We're not suppose to lick equipment?! I've been doing it all wrong :/  But seriously.  Nah.<strong> I don't get them, and am careful to not share my make up, chapstick, etc with people so that I never end up with them...</strong> But I wouldn't think twice about someone at the gym with one!!  1. You should be wiping down your equipment when you're done 2. People concerned can wipe down their equipment before they start (I often do this on busy days anyway justb ecause I know not everyone does so when they finish)  3. APPARENTLY, you shouldn't be making out with equipment... sooo I think you're safe :) 
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

Firstly OP, I think you are totally fine going to the gym as long as you don't do things to deliberately spread you cold sore around! From how you sound, you seem like that is not your intention so in my books you're perfectly welcome to be there.

Secondly, in response to FTL's bolded statement - same! I don't get cold sores, but I just need to whine about this.... FMIL gets cold sores - she has one right now - and I let her use my eyeshadow because she was trying to figure out colours that work for her, and then without telling me she used my lip stuff! So.... she won herself a new covergirl outlast.... She thought I was being dramatic that I wouldn't use it after she did with her cold sore. I love her, but she be crazy sometimes.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Oh Sarah! That is awful that your FMIL did that. Does she seriously not realize how contagious they are?

I've gotten them since I was a kid, thankfully I've never spread it to anyone else though! Whenever I feel even a little tingle I immediately tell DH that I'm not allowed to kiss him, and then I wait till days after I've had symptoms before I'll kiss him again. I'm so glad I only get them about once a year.
  • I have no idea if she realizes it or not - she was pretty mystified that I had never had a cold sore before and that my family doesn't get them.... Maybe she thought it was an everyone kind of thing.. I'm just glad that I knew she used it and didn't use it unknowingly!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cold-sore?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:b15a5fdf-3423-4752-8773-28638148296fPost:fc5b71df-e3d5-4497-ba31-6bbe0f96e222">Re: Cold Sore</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold Sore : That rule only applies when you're sick.  Otherwise, feel free to make out with the equipment as much as you want, you saucy minx.
    Posted by kwitherington[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Om Nom Nom NOm </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>(dang.. I just tried to google search for a picture of someone making out with gym equipment... Believe it or not, nothing came up. Interwebz, you fail me. )</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cold-sore?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:b15a5fdf-3423-4752-8773-28638148296fPost:f3262801-cfe2-4f96-888d-080f3a25fdba">Re: Cold Sore</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Cold Sore : Om Nom Nom NOm  (dang.. I just tried to google search for a picture of someone making out with gym equipment... Believe it or not, nothing came up. Interwebz, you fail me. )
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

This video might be as close as you're going to get....

<a href="http://www.technogym.com/gb/products/cardiovascular-training/ellipticals/excite-+/crossover/3765" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.technogym.com/gb/products/cardiovascular-training/ellipticals/excite-+/crossover/3765</a>

I saw it a couple of weeks ago when I was researching this particular piece of equipment, and was totally weirded out.

PS - if the video doesn't show up immediately, pick it from the little horizontal list of images...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No, but I would probably stear clear! Lol.
  • Hi @SunriseAmber I'd agree it is Contagious but it would not be bad to ask them kindly, if they have cold sore, it wouldn't be too bad also if you ask them to take some medicine and come back at the gym again some other day, After all as a gym intructor, you are showing your concern to your customers. Cheers ! Smile
  • ^ uhhhh... double U - Tee- Eff Mate? 

• I am all of a sudden confused.... Who's the gym instructor? I would never ask someone to take medicine for their cold sore and leave... that would be rude no matter how nicely you asked. I figure if you're really worried about germs you would wipe down the machine before you started using it as well as after?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • A lot of people don't realiZE this.....but 98 percent of the population carries the virus that causes cold.sores, herpes simplex 1 I believe, but not everyone has an outbreak. If people are smart which I know they aren't they wouldn't be afraid of you if they knew that even though they already carry it, they aren't prone to outbreaks. But here is a tip, I've had cold sores my entire life, my Dr gave.me a.valtrex prescription and I take it when I feel the sucker popping up...clears it up most of the time before it ever fully develops. But you must take it at the first sign. See if your Dr can give you some!
  • Sara G to beSara G to be member
    First Comment
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_cold-sore?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:b15a5fdf-3423-4752-8773-28638148296fPost:181fa1c5-5143-414d-908a-f9761255d989">Re:Cold Sore</a>:
    [QUOTE]A lot of people don't realiZE this.....but 98 percent of the population carries the virus that causes cold.sores, herpes simplex 1 I believe, but not everyone has an outbreak. If people are smart which I know they aren't they wouldn't be afraid of you if they knew that even though they already carry it, they aren't prone to outbreaks. But here is a tip, I've had cold sores my entire life, my Dr gave.me a.valtrex prescription and I take it when I feel the sucker popping up...clears it up most of the time before it ever fully develops. But you must take it at the first sign. See if your Dr can give you some!
    Posted by gnc0988[/QUOTE]

Love this and was just about to post it! Get over it people that would be like asking someone who had a scar on there face to leave! I would laugh at someone if they asked me to leave the gym because I had a cold sore! Think about what other gross things go on at the gym if you are worried about somoene with a cold sore you should prob just stay home! Do you not go to work when you have a cold sore?! or the store!!?? I don't know why this post is so funny to me! Your not making out with the equipment. Really think about people at the store with carts who prob have cold sores or worse and you touch the cart after or try on the same clothes!
    ***March Siggy Challenge: Hair Inspiration*** Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • In my high school gym class we had to use the wrestling room to work out. There were multiple cases of wrestlers having ringworm and used the mats... those mats didn't ever get cleaned and we weren't allowed to wear shoes on them. Now, I'm not sure how contagious ringworm is but that freaked me out far more that someone with a cold sore.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards