Getting in Shape
Options

Just getting started!

Hello everyone!  I joined TK as I was hosting a bridal shower for my cousin in a couple weeks, that is until they cancelled the wedding yesterday.  I used to be a competitive swimmer in high school, about 5 years ago, until I tore my rotator in my left shoulder.  After pt, I started a rigorous workout regimen but then got mono so I was ordered by my doctor to not workout at all for what ended up being 6 months.  I gained 40 lbs when I went away to college and now that I am graduating in less then a week (yay!), I am dying to get back into working out like I used to.  

This is the heaviest I have ever been and when I have tried to start a workout plan and diet plan in the last year, I have failed.  What recommendations (exercise and diet wise) do you have for someone just starting out who wants to lose a substantial amount of weight who hasn't really worked out in a year? 

TIA! 

Re: Just getting started!

• Options
    bergblbergbl member
    First Comment
    I just started my diet a little over a month ago.  I started with diet. I wrote down what I was eating in a notebook, and realized how many calories I was eating in a day.  Now, I put serving sizes (sometimes less!) of food and keep it in baggies in the pantry.  I also make sure I get enough low-fat dairy in a day.  Amd drink plenty of water.  Put junk food up high or where you can't see it (out of sight, out of mind).

I hope this helps a litte!
    BabyName Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have serious work out ADD and have found the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred DVD to be AWESOME!! The circuits are really intense so you definitely feel like you're working out but aren't so long that it gets boring or super painful for your joints etc. On that same note, switching up what I do excercise-wise has been really helpful too! Good Luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    The best way to start a realistic workout routine is to not overdo it all at once, otherwise you will hate it and stop going.  Find something you enjoy - maybe get back into swimming, go with a friend, or schedule your workout during the same time as your favorite TV show (if the gym you choose has individual TVs). 

Make realistic goals and stick with them, and remember its not just about the number on the scale, its how you feel - clothing gets looser and your energy level goes way up before the scale shows 'loss'.

Good luck!
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards