Getting in Shape
Options

Not into working out lately

The dark winter mornings have really gotten to me. I haven't been able to get up to work out the last two weeks, and I think I'm not going to this week either. And by the time I get home after 7, I am too tired and have too much other work to do.

I haven't been losing weight, but I also haven't been eating so great either so I wouldn't blame it on not working out. Knowing that losing weight has so little to do with exercise makes it even harder to want to work out. 

I really just want to take a few more weeks off from working out. Or possibly just stop all together. I have alterations coming up soonish, and I'm not sure what happens then, since I won't be able to lose anymore. 

Sigh. Someone convince me I actually need to get up and work out in the morning.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Not into working out lately

• Options
    I'm right there with you and I know that the only way I'm going to lose the last 13 pounds is if I do workout and workout hard.  I think it gets harder when we get to this point (just having a few more to go) because we have been working so hard and already look so much better than we did and then you have all the people saying that you don't need to lose any weight, etc. 

The thing that is starting to motivate the the most is the pictures.  I know that these last 13 pounds will mostly come from my arms and thighs and since my dress is strapless and I'm going to be in a bikini on the honeymoon, I'm trying to focus on what they will look like.  Do you have your dress yet?  Maybe take a picture of yourself in it now and see if there's anything you don't like or take a picturein a bikini or swimsuit and then tape it to your bathroom mirror as motivation?  I'm thinking that's what I'm going to do.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    You've already just told us that you aren't going to work out this week. 
    You have made up your mind. It's not our job to convince you that you need to work out so that you can
    1. lose weight more successfuly, faster, and in a more healthful manner
    2. live a longer, healthy life with proper bone density
    3. help prevent injuries as you age

Just because diet is important to weight loss doesn't mean that exercise isn't. And at some point it stops becoming about the scale and starts becoming about your personal health, fitness, happiness... That would be like saying that veggies have more to offer your bod than fruits so you should just cut out all fruits and only eat veggies. Might work for a while..but good luck when you hit that plateau. You will see the weight loss sooo much faster if you incorporate both. And I don't know about you, but the more I work out, the better my diet is because I 
    1. feel good so I want to keep that up hard work up 
    2. crave things that are good for my bod because I'm working it so much.
    You're body isn't dumb. It knows when you're trying to fool it and when you're half-assing things. 

I'm not a morning person so I can't convince you to get your butt up early.. but the fact that you have lost an active life style is helping make it harder to get up in the morning. You sound like you've really given up. Only you can motivate yourself; but if you think that all those pictures of ripped, beautiful women on pinterest got their bods from just diet alone, you are fooling yourself. 

I'm sorry if I sound brash, but it seems that that may be what you need right now. 
  • Options
    Just focus on getting yourself to do it once, just once.  Usually that can kickstart people, rather than feeling like your facing an all-or-nothing workout routine.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I definitely understand what you are going through!  I was so motivated before my fiance and I purchased our home, but ever since we've moved in together, I have been nesting like crazy and hardly have the motivation to go to the gym.  Unfortunately, it's either work out and feel good, look good, etc., or don't work out feel terrible and look not your best in the most important dress of your life to date!  I say, get up and go work out, whether it's taking a walk around the block, doing jumping jacks and sit ups or going to the gym...anything is better than nothing!!  Good luck and Congratulations!!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_not-into-working-out-lately?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:c420dd3f-2b7c-4daa-ae4d-b7fed1685b31Post:b9b85c7f-7be0-47d5-bab8-1543a4870635">Not into working out lately</a>:
    [QUOTE]The dark winter mornings have really gotten to me. I haven't been able to get up to work out the last two weeks, and I think I'm not going to this week either. And by the time I get home after 7, I am too tired and have too much other work to do. I haven't been losing weight, but I also haven't been eating so great either so I wouldn't blame it on not working out. <strong>Knowing that losing weight has so little to do with exercise makes it even harder to want to work out.</strong>  I really just want to take a few more weeks off from working out. Or possibly just stop all together. I have alterations coming up soonish, and I'm not sure what happens then, since I won't be able to lose anymore.  Sigh. Someone convince me I actually need to get up and work out in the morning.
    Posted by meg65[/QUOTE]

The bolded statement concerns me. When done correctly, exercise has a great impact on losing weight.

During the winter months when it's still very dark outside when I get up in the mornings, I'll actually set aside my workout gear the night before so that it's one less thing I have to take care of in the morning. I'll even pre-stage my coffee and get my stuff together for work as well, so that it only takes me maybe 10-15 minutes to get ready in the morning before I go work out.

The hardest part about working out is getting to the gym. Once you're there, you'll be in the mindset to get down to business. It sounds to me like you're really getting in your own way, here, and quite frankly, are making excuses not to go. Find a motivator (workout buddy, personal reward system, etc) and go from there.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • Options

I feel you. What gets me motivated right now is bathing suit season coming up. Just yesterday my mom and sister and I went to the mall and they started looking at bathing suits. (The are both smaller than I) and I said no way. I still have plenty of weight to loose before I feel comfortable in a bathing suit. I set little goals for myself. 10 lbs at a time. So when I achieve those. I feel way better about myself!

Soon to be Mrs. Roberts :)Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

• Options
    edited March 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_not-into-working-out-lately?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:c420dd3f-2b7c-4daa-ae4d-b7fed1685b31Post:39a96c7c-e276-4fee-8baf-f82350bfc620">Re: Not into working out lately</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>The hardest part about working out is getting to the gym. </strong>Once you're there, you'll be in the mindset to get down to business. It sounds to me like you're really getting in your own way, here, and quite frankly, are making excuses not to go. Find a motivator (workout buddy, personal reward system, etc) and go from there.
    Posted by mehgank[/QUOTE]

<div>THIS! There are so many times where I do not feel like going to the gym, but I force myself to and as soon as I'm there I always have a great workout, I tend to push myself to do a liiitttle more than I thought I wanted to, and by the end of it I'm GLAD I went to the gym. You just have to not allow yourself to sabatoge your efforts and get your butt out the door.</div><div>
    </div><div>I've seen what happens to people who let the exercise slip away, I gained back 90 lbs from eating poorly and stopping regular exercise. My sister gained over 120 lbs when she stopped exercising and holding herself accountable, my father gained over 200 lbs from letting himself slip. It is a damn slipperly slope and it's easier to just stay on top of it now than let yourself completely backslide.</div>
  • Options
    I had to pop back into this thread to add something.  I just did my measurements this morning and even though I've gained back 2 pounds so I'm 135, I've lost more inches and it's all due to the toning workout and walking I've done because at 135 before, my thighs and my arms were bigger and those are my biggest trouble areas and where I carry most of my weight.  The scale means something, but the measurements mean even more because no matter what the scale says, if I'm getting smaller in inches, that's all I really care about. 

I just wanted to share because it has totally motivated me to workout more being able to actually know it's working!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    I get up at 5am 3 days a week to get to the gym and work out before work. On 2 of those days I go to a class and I meet a friend of mine there. This helps me feel accountable to make sure I get up in the morning and get there. Not just that I am meeting someone, but the class too. Sometimes I just get up and immediately put my clothes on and sit back down on my bed (I leave them right next to where my feet hit the floor in the morning so I can put them on asap). Once I have done that I feel like I'm in the mind set of, ok now I'm up and dressed to work out, I can get moving. That helps me too. Only YOU can motivate yourself.

Now as far as your diet. Yes, a lot of losing weight is diet (which does not mean working out should go by the way side). You said yourself you haven't been eating great and therefore haven't lost any weight. It's not hard to change this. So why not try that too? I always recommend using my fitness pal to track your diet.

Good luck. If you put in hard work, you will see results.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    meg65meg65 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Thanks for all the encouragement an advice everyone. I think I am just so tired of winter and so burned out with everything (work, school, diet), I've been really down lately. And I'm sure the eating crap and not working out haven't been helping!

BUT! I am happy to report I ended up going for a long walk yesterday, and then I sat down and really thought about what my goals are and what I could handle. I decided to set my alarm earlier so the first time it goes off I can turn my bedside light on, then hit snooze a few more times so I can wake up more before getting up. I also decided I can commit to longer workouts three days a week when I don't have to be at work until later, and do shorter workouts the other days when I have to be in earlier. 

I would like to lose 6 pounds by April 1, the date of my shower, but I know 4 is more realistic so I'm shooting for that short term. I also spoke to my fiance, since he is trying to lose weight too, so we are going to encourage each other to stay on track.

I already feel a thousand times better and am actually EXCITED to do this now! Thanks again!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have been struggling with my weight for awhile, fluctuating between 175 and 155...In January I started with ACE as a skeptic. I am sure, like me, you all have tried everything. Between Walmart and Walgreens I sure have! 
    Well, I am happy to say that yesterday I officially reached my goal size of size 4!!!!!!

There are many sites on the web selling this, do a search, I got mine from: 
    A.C.E. Your Weight. I am sure they will help you to!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards