Getting in Shape

Many things in one.

I'm new to this board, but have read a lot of posts that have helped me in my new life style change. The only problem I am having lately is that my FI doesn't seem to care that I'm trying to lose weight for the wedding. I tried wedding dresses on this week, and I will admit, they looked good, but seeing me in them made me realize that I am a fluffy marshmellow, and will look like it walking down the aisle next year. How can I tell him that doing this lifestlye change will benefit him as well? The day after I started he bought Oreo's for me, saying he forgot that I was trying to lose weight. I just feel like he doesn't understand what I am going through. 

Another thing I was wondering about was what are some good back toning exercises. The dress I really love is a corset back so it's pulling all my back fat into back cleavage, which isn't the most appealing. I am new to weights so I am trying to figure out the best exercises for that area. Any help would be nice. Thank you.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Many things in one.

• 1) Remind him daily that you're making this lifestyle change and ask if he'd like to be apart of it. Also, I'm sorry if this is too personal, but if I'm happier with my body the more comfortable I am with less clothes on ... which could turn your FI on and help support your decision with being happier and healthier

2) Arm exercises may help out with that (like tricep extensions)... also, any type of "core" exercises - because "core" is not just your abs, but around your whole mid-section, including your back. So you could check out some ab work outs (flutter kicks, PLANKS, pelvic lifts, etc)
  • I agree with Milsey on number 1 completely.  Let him know that and he'll turn around really fast about that.

2) Push-ups are awesome and will definitely help.  Beyond that if you can, try rowing.
  • Good advice from these ladies!  Maybe you could post a weight-loss calendar or a calorie counter someplace prominent as a passive reminder of your goals?  Set mini goals for yourself, and as you hit them, celebrate with him and keep him engaged!  Try new low fat/low cal recipes when you cook 'for him' and let him know that you are making an effort to overhaul your kitchen habits for both of you.  I love cookinglight.com, lots of great recipes there!  Does he love steak?  Try a new lighter steak recipe and when he gushes over it and you, reiterate the fact that it's a healthier choice.  Keep healthy snacks in the house (raw almonds, greek yogurt, hummus with raw veggies, soy cakes, fresh fruit, etc.) and when he offers you sweets tell him 'No thanks, but you can grab some cucumbers and low fat ranch if you'd like'.  He'll get the hint...  :)

As for back toning, the gal who recommended core exercises is right on the mark, and rowing is a great idea too.  Pushups are great for your back, chest, and arms.  One other thing to try might be some lateral weighted exercises with resistance bands, or reverse pull-ups if you have a pull-up bar.  The P90X videos have a back & biceps track that is killer. 

Good luck!!!

Meg

• I agree with all the girls above!

I had similar problems with my FI, who also does all of the cooking in the house (I got lucky with that one).  When I first started counting calories, I would stand in the kitchen and measure everything out and add up the calories as he cooked.  At first I think he found it annoying.  Then he realized how important it was to me and I think now sees it almost as a challenge.  Now he tries to constantly make new great tasting low cal dishes. (He has an amazing stuffed pepper disk with brown rice and turkey sausage yum!!)

Basically, I would stay as consistant as possible to show him that this is important to you and you are sticking to it.  Once he sees that I am sure he will jump on board.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thank you for all your advice, girls. It's been helping me a lot this week. I've been doing a lot more push ups, I've never been good at them so it's been a challenge for me. But I am taking the advice about feeling better in my own skin with less clothing on sort of thing because it is true. I love sitting in boxers or shorts and tank tops during the summer (Wisconsin's summers are so hot lol). But with me being so self concious of my body lately it's hard to find the motivation. But I have found a channel on my cable provider exercise tv on demand which is helpful when I don't feel like going to the gym. But starting tomorrow I am planning on going to the gym three days a week and following the one work out plan they have on this website on the getting in shape page. It seems pretty easy to follow and shouldn't be to hard to do. I think the hard part is going to do is the eatting, but I went shopping today and got all fresh fruit and it felt good buying that instead of all the junk food. I just need to get my FI on the same train as well. Thank you again girls! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards