Getting in Shape

Yoga, Pilates or something else?

I have an extremely limited amount of time (I commute for 3 hours a day).  I get up at 4:30, leave by 6am, and don't get home until about 6:30.  Since I get up so early, I have to get to bed kinda early.  That leaves little time for all the other things that have to happen each day. 

So, I'm looking for something that will bring good results fairly quickly.  (Also, I need tangilble results in order to stay motivated, because I'm the type of person who doesn't enjoy physical exertion -- that's putting it nicely.) 

I know I need to do some kind of cardio, and that's either a walk on the hills of SF, or treadmill at the gym.  What other recommendations do you have?  My gym does offer a few classes in the evenings, but they're really full!  What about Yoga or Pilates or something else, that I can do at home with a DVD? 

I need to lose weight (about 30 lbs by Oct 23 2010) and tone/tighten.  I'm naturally flexible.  

Recommmendations? 

Re: Yoga, Pilates or something else?

• tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    I do yoga with a DVD when I can't get to the gym.  If your gym has a personal trainer available, make an appointment to get a routine and ask about supplemental workouts you can do at home.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • In college, I would walk at least 2 miles a day because I walked to and from campus(20 minutes each way) and then all around campus. This coupled with cutting out fast food helped me lose 50 pounds. Walking with hills is great! Memphis is too flat :(
  • hckaczynhckaczyn member
    First Comment
    edited May 2010
    I've taken a class in both yoga and pilates. Yoga is not what I would choose for weight loss or even strengthening. I usually left that class wanting more. It's relaxing and good for flexibility, that's about it.

Pilates, though, is great. I took a class that was 40 minutes long twice a week and could really tell a difference. It works muscles in your entire body. It does not so much work on your cardio endurance, though.

I LOVE pilates and I can't wait to get back in a class to tone up before my wedding. I could tell that my back hurt less (because my posture was better), my stomach was flatter, my legs looked more toned after just three months going twice a week.

Hope that helps!
    imageAnniversary
  • I love yoga too, but I think it just helps with toning and flexibility.  It relaxes me too.  

hckaczyn  you have totally made me want to try pilates!
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • http://www.amazon.com/10-Minute-Solution-Results-Pilates/dp/B000GEIRAU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1275407431&sr=1-3

This is my favorite DVD for pilates. It’s comprised of five 10 minute workouts targeting different areas of the body. The instructor is great (she’s not annoying as some can be!) and the workouts move at a nice pace. I typically will choose 2 to 3 of the workouts to do at a time. It’s great because you can squeeze them in whenever. With the 10 minute workouts, there’s no excuse not to exercise. Pilates is great for toning—at least it has been for me!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards