Getting in Shape

I have no clue where to get started!

A little about me & my fitness level....

I just turned 29 last week, I'm 5'8" and I weigh 150 lbs.  I suppose you could say my fitness level is a beginner.  I am active with my 8 year old son, but I can't jog a mile or anything like that without feeling like I'm going to pass out or throw up.....or both!  Yuck!

My dress is strapless, so I definitely want to tone, tone, tone my arms, chest, back, etc.  But in reality, I want my entire body toned.  I could stand to lose about 10 lbs, but I am not an unhealthy weight so my biggest goal is to get rid of the flabiness and have a toned, leaner body.

I absolutely do not have time for the gym.  The closest gym is 30 minutes away, but I am a "single" mom (my FH works full time and goes to school full time).  FH helps me out when he can with my son, but it's few and far between because of his busy schedule....and we don't live together yet.  SO, between baseball practice and games, and working full-time, I just don't have time for the gym.  Fortunately, my parents have a nice treadmill (my son and I live with them), and I have some 8 lb weights, a dumbell bench and a medicine ball (I think it's 10 lbs if I remember correctly).

Any suggestions on where to start with getting this jiggly body in shape? 

Re: I have no clue where to get started!

• I'd start with a good foundation of a healthy diet.  I know you're at a pretty good weight, but checking your eating habits might just help you lose those few pounds that maybe are hiding your umderlying muscle tone.  Check out SparkPeople.com.  It's free and has been a great resources for me to monitor caloric intake.  You might be surprised what you discover after a week of tracking.

I also suggest sticking to the basics of exercise to start.  Long walks on the treadmill (or run if you can), crunches (not just standard but obliques, reverse, and bicycle as well), break out the old-school pushups or planks, squats and dips are great too.  Those should all be easy to find time for and your son might even have fun "helping" you workout.  Turn it into a game.
  • What Anna said.  Make sure to really analyze what you're eating, and then use the tools you have to get started.  You can also try some of the free on-demand workouts on TV that use light weights.
    Though you may feel silly, there's also no reason you can't climb the bleachers or do something else active while at the games (then just take a break when he's up to bat.)
    Anniversary
  •  I have had really good results with Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred dvds. I did buy them on amazon.com in used form. I have a couple of her dvds and just mix them up. They are only 30 minute workouts and you get a work OUT! The equipment needed is minimal, light weights and a mat (only if you are working out on a hard surface). 
     If you want to drop some weight and tone up her workouts really get you there in a short amount of time. You just have to stick with it!! You can do this!
    I do them in the morning before I realize I'm working out =)
    GOOD LUCK!
  • I second Anna's suggestion of the workout videos.  I'm not quite as busy as you, but I do work full time and have a long commute, so having something that I can do at home in a short amount of time is paramount.  I like JM's videos.  I have 30 Day Shred for when I only have 30 minutes, and No More Trouble Zones and Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism for when I have an hour.  I do suggest that you commit to working out 5 or 6 days a week though, if you really want to see results in a short amount of time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards