Getting in Shape

Recipe Sharing

I wanted to share this recipe I made tonight (it was yummy and quick):

Black Bean Sweet Potato Burritos

Makes 4 burritos

1 1/2 cup shredded sweet potatoes (I just peeled, cut into chunks and put them through the food processor)

1/4 onion

(Saute in large frypan in 1 T. oil just until tender.  Add water as needed to prevent sticking.

1 cup cooked black beans

1/2 t. ground cumin

1/4 t. ground cinnamon

1/4 t. salt

(Add and cook until heated through.) 

4 flour tortillas

3/4 c. cheddar cheese (I used mozzarella since it is lower in fat)

Divide bean mixture and cheese among the tortillas and roll up.  Place in a baking pan.  Lightly spray with olive oil.  Cover pan with foil and bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

I didn't bake them and it was still really good.  I just put a little salsa on top.

Anyone else have a good, healthy recipe to share?

Re: Recipe Sharing

• Those burritos sound delicious, I def have to make them. This is a serious fav of mine from the Eating Well website and it's pretty easy!

Pampered Chicken

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, (about 1 pound), trimmed of fat4 slices Monterey Jack cheese, (2 ounces)2 egg whites1/3 cup seasoned (Italian-style) breadcrumbs2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oilLemon wedges, for garnish

Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a chicken breast, skinned-side down, on a cutting board. Keeping the blade of a sharp knife parallel to the board, make a horizontal slit along the thinner, long edge of the breast, cutting nearly through to the opposite side. Open the breast so it forms two flaps, hinged at the center. Place a slice of cheese on one flap, leaving a 1/2-inch border at the edge. Press remaining flap down firmly over the cheese and set aside. Repeat with the remaining breasts.
    2. Lightly beat egg whites with a fork in a medium bowl. Mix breadcrumbs, Parmesan, parsley, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Holding a stuffed breast together firmly, dip it in the egg whites and then roll in the breadcrumbs. Repeat with the remaining breasts.
    3. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the stuffed breasts and cook until browned on one side, about 2 minutes. Turn the breasts over and place the skillet in the oven.
    4. Bake the chicken until no longer pink in the center, about 20 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges.

Nutrition:

Per serving: 258 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 81 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 34 g protein; 1 g fiber; 536 mg sodium; 364 mg potassium.
  • just drooled a little reading both of those! I'm trying this one tomorrow 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards