Getting in Shape

Anyone belong to a CSA?

Do you like it?  Do you eat all of the veggies that you get? 
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Anyone belong to a CSA?

• There isn't a customize your box option and the farmers markets around here aren't very close or big unfortunately so a CSA is definitely the best way to get local, organic produce.  I think I'm going to give it a shot this year.  What's the worst that can happen right?
  • We are thinking of joining one this year as well. My sister is part of one in California. She is also part of a meat coop out there, and they get a freezer full of meat (pork, chicken, and beef) every few months. Its all grass fed and organic stuff. SHe says she goes to the grocery about once a month for spices, cleaning supplies, and toiletries, but rarely buys food there.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I think it would be really interesting to get new veggies and find ways to cook them. I had a box at one point that had a "featured" veggie of the week. Once it was beets, once it was leeks, etc. They sent you an information sheet and recipes for them.

We get our product at the farmer's market because 1) we love it and 2) FI thinks it is "spreading the wealth" among several farmers.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • I love my farmers market way too much to do otherwise, I also love the interaction - talking to the farmers about this or that fruit or vegetable, the crops, what should be there next week or whatever. There are a few growers at my market who know me well enough now that they will let me "owe" them next week if I buy more than I have money for too so I cant beat that.

• I'm in one - and I like it.  Its fun to get random things and try it.  I split a basket with a friend of mine - but sometimes still have trouble going through it all, but I do a pretty good job.  And its a good deal money wise :)
    BIO: Updated 7/28 with bridesmaid dresses

Amy & Ian

image 133 Invited so far!
    image 48 Are ready to party!
    image 27 Will be missing out! (12 kids)
    image 59 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_anyone-belong-csa?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:fb086321-8436-4b00-8a7a-99529a592fb7Post:3190db72-2c30-490c-8f2a-3e08c16acadd">Re: Anyone belong to a CSA?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone belong to a CSA? : Not necessarily, peel them (boil water, set tomatoes in hot water bath so you can peel them easily), dice into a bowl, add garlic or seasoning if you choose, ladel into freezer bags and put them in the freezer. We did that last summer with our garden tomatoes and it has worked out quite well.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

This.

Although canning (I don't know why we call it that down here - even though we mean putting things in jars) tomatoes is one of the easier things.  The acidity in the tomatoes means you can do it in just a "hot water bath" canner, you don't need a pressure canner.  It's actually fairly simple. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_anyone-belong-csa?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:fb086321-8436-4b00-8a7a-99529a592fb7Post:3190db72-2c30-490c-8f2a-3e08c16acadd">Re: Anyone belong to a CSA?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Anyone belong to a CSA? : Not necessarily, peel them (boil water, set tomatoes in hot water bath so you can peel them easily), dice into a bowl, add garlic or seasoning if you choose, ladel into freezer bags and put them in the freezer. We did that last summer with our garden tomatoes and it has worked out quite well.
    Posted by Nebb[/QUOTE]

You cna also stick them in a 200 degree oven all day (it sort of slow roasts/dehydrates them) then stick them in a bag with some basil, olive oil and garlic and throw in the freezer. OMG, they are the best thing ever. Just put them in the food processor and pulse a little, then heat and toss with pasta. Or put on a pizza.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Just a note that if there are things you don't like - you can see if anyone else there will trade for them :)
    BIO: Updated 7/28 with bridesmaid dresses

Amy & Ian

image 133 Invited so far!
    image 48 Are ready to party!
    image 27 Will be missing out! (12 kids)
    image 59 Are MIA!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards