September 2013 Weddings
Options

Calling 2013-2014 Brides!

I...am a long-engagement bride. It's not a common plan of action to wait 2+ years after getting engaged before finally getting married. But, I know I'm not the only one.I see that a lot of long-engagements (henceforth LEs) are a result of conflicts with schooling. People want to wait until after college to get married. It's why I'm waiting.

But I'm curious on the "action plan" of LE brides. The majority of brides on this site are quick to jump in and say, "Don't choose anything! How will you know what you want in x years?!". How does that make you feel? Have you taken their advice, or have you already got things planned out? Have you done more than just plan? What are some conflicts you have encountered with having a LE? Is it hard for you to see other brides planning/ordering items/etc.? Do you still feel like you are engaged, or do you feel like you are already a married couple?

I've been engaged since 2009, so my engagement has been VERY long-term (I know some brides have even longer engagements). But, since the beginning, we've had basics planned out. Date, time, dress, venue. Now that we're entering the two year mark, planning for us has begun in earnest. I seriously doubt we will change our mind about how things are going to be since my FI and I haven't yet. I will say that things have...evolved into a more complex and elegant state though.

I do get jealous of other brides who are actively planning. I know enough not to make a commitment to certain vendors just yet, so I get jealous of people who are able to do that. However, because I have done so much research already, I am relatively confident everything will go so smoothly when that stage begins for us. We have lists of 1st choice, 2nd choice, 3rd, etc. vendors. If one goes out of business before we contact them, we have backups. We know what the price of everything should roughly be - with some wiggle room for inflation.

I definitely feel like we are married more than I feel like we're engaged! We're such an old domestic couple - haha! We get a lot of enjoyment from doing things like washing dishes or laundry together. But it's really pleasant.

Re: Calling 2013-2014 Brides!

• Options
    I believe that people do mature at different ages, and I've met 40-year olds who are NOT ready for marriage yet, and who simply want to party and enjoy their life. I'm on the other end of the extreme. Everyone is different. I believe the only factor which can really decide whether you're ready or not is your heart. If you know you want to spend the rest of your life with someone and that you will never want anyone else, then you know you're ready.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I have been engaged since 2/26/11. We were originall going to get married on 7/14/12 but had to change the date due to my daughter(previous relationship) is graduating high school and going off to college in 2012. We are paying for our wedding ourselves and with al lthe expenses that goes into her senior year and college(She is a Diva w/ our money.....LOL!!!!) it was best for us to wait. We have already booked vendors and started paying on them and buying decorations already. This way we should have everything paid off by then and won't get stressed out. I also, feel that we are already married, so to me it doesn't matter whereor when we get married. He is my first love and I have known him since I was 15 y/o. I am so enjoying my life right now and I am so excited about marrying the man of my dreams!!!! Congrats to you all and best wishes  for yor upcoming nuptials!!!!!
    Shannon Jackson
    "Destiny Fulfilled"!!!!

Visit WeddingChannel!Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Wow, well if it makes you feel any better check out how long ago I joined theknot and my wedding date is Sept 14th, 2013! I got engaged on December 23rd, 2008. 

There were several reasons for holding off...one being that I was 20 when I got engaged which is YOUNG. I was ready to commit to my partner but we wanted to wait until a good/convenient time for us since you really shouldn't rush into something that lasts a lifetime (?). As for the teenage brides in the thread, you are teenagers and part of that means thinking you know everything already...but you don't. Something you can only learn by not being a teenager anymore, but I digress. Get used to skeptics, I suppose. Sure, marriages that start young end up successful from time to time but you still aren't giving yourself much opportunity to know your adult selves since you aren't even really adults. But I digress...

The other reason was school, I am finishing up my degree this August so I finally feel like I will have the money and finances to plan everything the way that I want to!

Good luck with everybody's planning!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards