September 2013 Weddings

Too early to plan?

Ive been planning and dreaming about my wedding since I was 6 years old... haha, yet I picked a 3 year engagement so we can finish school and have a year extra to save. Is anyone else planning yet? Other knotties keep telling me to wait to view places because my mind will change but I just want to get the ball rolling and sign a venue. 

Re: Too early to plan?

• how the hell do you know what you will want in 3yrs?  you may change your mind, the place may change ownership and become totally different, your financial circumstances might change, the place might close.  so many things that could happen in 3yrs.  seriously, slow down.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Honeymoon Sunset

Anniversary

• I think the fact that there is a September 2013 board speaks for itself that it isn't too early. Sooooo I hate to say it but if people are posting on here and against planning, kinda hypocritical no?? Just saying... :)

I can sympathize with you. It's so hard not to get completely enthralled in it all. These boards don't help! I too have to wait because of school circumstances and such, the FI has to finish grad school, while I work my tail off to pay for everything haha!

Just be real about it all, I'm all for establishing what you want and what you vision and getting an idea. Just remember your tastes might change. Styles change. You will see 10000000 other things between now and then. And once you make a financial committment to anything, you're either stuck or going to be disappointed.

Just be realistic :) I should take my own advice... :/
  • HaylaCHaylaC member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited November 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_early-plan?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:25d28097-8fb4-4de6-a003-1778bbc2205bPost:f98dd0e3-5f04-4792-86c0-3c6677e4477b">Re: Too early to plan?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I think the fact that there is a September 2013 board speaks for itself that it isn't too early. Sooooo I hate to say it but if people are posting on here and against planning, kinda hypocritical no?? Just saying... :)</strong> I can sympathize with you. It's so hard not to get completely enthralled in it all. These boards don't help! I too have to wait because of school circumstances and such, the FI has to finish grad school, while I work my tail off to pay for everything haha! Just be real about it all, I'm all for establishing what you want and what you vision and getting an idea. Just remember your tastes might change. Styles change. You will see 10000000 other things between now and then. And once you make a financial committment to anything, you're either stuck or going to be disappointed. Just be realistic :) I should take my own advice... :/
    Posted by nmcarthur[/QUOTE]

if you mean me my wedding is november 2011, and  i definately would not have dreamed booking anything as early as 2008, so no, im not hypocritical.

ETA: by booking i mean <strong>putting down money and signing contracts</strong> not just planning things out in your head.  The latter is fine to be doing 3yrs in advance, i think spending money 3yrs in advance could be a big problem if the venue turns out to be unsuitable.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Honeymoon Sunset

Anniversary

• I wouldn't make any hardcore decisions yet. My fiance' and I had originally planned on September of 2012 and I was freaking out because the idea of having to decide on something so soon out of school absolutely terrified me. So we decided it would be better to get married in 2013 even though we haven't really figured out a steadfast date yet. But one thing I am guilty of is browsing and making a wedding binder. Since I'm in school, to de-stress I'll get on here or flip through magazines. When ever I come across a venue I like, reception ideas, or a dress I love I either print it out or tear it out of the mag and put it in the binder! I feel like this way I don't have to try to remember that really cute centerpiece I saw a year ago. And when it comes time for some real planning, if I don't like it anymore, oh well it's just a picture in a magazine.
    Next to being married, a girl likes being crossed now and then. - Jane Austen
  • To be honest, I have also been looking at places and getting ideas.  I have my mind set on a venue (hopefully we will check it out in a couple of months), but we will only go to check it out and ask about pricing- if it is a popular place we may book it now (well in 2011) or if not, we will wait a few extra months and see if anything changes or if we find something else.  What I have been doing is writing my ideas and options on index cards and keeping them in a box I made for wedding preparations so when the time comes I have the ideas and websites written, all we have to do is make a decision and pay for everything.  I also started an envelope specifically for the wedding (which im pretty good at not touching money if it has a purpose).  So right now just browse through books and websites, jot down your ideas, and keep them some where safe so when the time comes to put down money or to actually go and look photographers and such you have an idea of what you are looking for and wont go crazy during the last year.  I don't think it's crazy to start planning,because face it every girl plans her wedding at 6, but since we were 6 our ideas of the perfect wedding kept changing and will keep changing so it's better to have the ideas first and when it comes closer to actually putting things into motion you will know what you want .
  • I'm not exactly planning but I am obsessing. Looking online. I can't wait. But I'm glad to know that other people are dreaming too
  • Im so glad to know I'm not the only person out ther planning and obsessing this far in advaced. Im so overwhelmed and excited at the same time. Thank God for this website with all the great ideas and people with advice. I think ill actually make it through all of this lol.
  • I am also getting married in September of 2013 because of school and extra time to save. I dont think its too early start looking at places or getting ideas. It is a little too early to start putting down deposits on things for the wedding.
  • I don't think it is a big deal to start planning! I don't think you should finalize anything cause of course it could change, but I don't see why looking around and gathering ideas is wrong! I had my wedding planned for next summer but due to money/time we are pushing it back til 2013. I am definitely checking things out (dress,venue,food,cake etc).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • No way is it too early! If you book now, you can lock in less expensive prices. I just booked my venue and was able to lock in 2011 prices, for a 2013 wedding! And they raised the prices for 2012, so if i would have waited, I would have paid atleast $15+pp.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards