September 2013 Weddings

Taking forever to book my venue bc I'm too chicken

I don't know why I'm so scared hahaha. I know I want this place and no other place. I keep bombarding the poor venue owner with questions. I guess I'm hoping to get the best out of this contract.

It's just a little B&B owned by a sweet retired couple and they are telling me they can help me get discounts with local vendors since it is a small rural community. Should I expect this to be included in the contract?? These discounts would really help. All I'd want is to know that they did try to negotiate with vendors like they said they would. I wouldn't hold it against them if they couldn't get discounts after talking to the vendors.

How long did it take for you to tour a place, talk out details with a venue and make the first deposit? It's taking me over a month with this one place.

Re: Taking forever to book my venue bc I'm too chicken

• If it is where you want to get married book it!  :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Me and FI went to two places before making our decision.  After doing some online research I thought for sure I would choose the first place and that looking was only a formality.  But surprisingly I was about 75% happy with it but just didn't feel in my gut like that was the best we could do.  So we went one more place and I said that if the second place didn't work I would settle for the first.  The second place was a dream come true but a bit more expensive.  My gut said ding ding ding! 

I said all that to say go with your gut!  If it feels right and you can envision your day being there and can afford it put the deposit down.  But if you think you need to visit a couple more places to be sure then do that.  You will usually know after visiting 2 to 3 venues.  Good luck!

• Jlp818Jlp818 member
    Name Dropper First Comment First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I visited mine three times before we booked it.  Don't wait too long, you don't want to lose it!
    As for the contract part, call some of the vendors they promised the discounts with.  Check with them to confirm what the BB told you. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DanieKADanieKA member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    I'm with you OP, I've toured our first choice venue twice! Once with my Fiance, and we both fell in love with it, then we saw about 6 or 7 places in between (big mistake. and the doesn't even count the e-mail inquiries I made to places we didn't visit for one reason or another-usually capacity), then I took my parents back and saw it again. We picked our 2 favorites and had our wedding planner run the numbers for us based on our projected guest count. Then I waffled back and forth and back and forth because while I love this venue most, it's probably going to end up being slightly more expensive than the runner-up venue which is the Four Seasons. I mean, it's hard to convince yourself NOT to "settle" for the Four Seasons. And actually this morning we decided to go ahead and have the venue work up our contract for Venue #1! We first looked at in May. 

So total it took us 3 full months (and counting), 8 different venues visits, countless e-mails, and 2 actual visits to what will be our venue before we sign on the dotted line. 

I'm tired just thinking about it. 
  • i dont think you can expect discounts at other vendors to be included in the contract for the venue unless you will be paying the venue for everything and they will be paying the other places on your behalf - which i doubt is how it will work
    you will need to have contracts with all the other vendors  on your own regardless - they may be able to talk on your behalf to obtain some good deals but unless  you have been in touch with these other vendors you will not know how much of a deal they got you...

if you really want the venue though go for it - the longer you wait the harder time you will have getting it for the date you want
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I looked at 13 places before I made a decision. I'm a firm believer that you should never "settle." You only get married for the first time once and I believe it should be perfect. That being said, be careful. Places are booking up a year to a year and half out so if you want a specific place, book it as soon as you can!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_taking-forever-to-book-my-venue-bc-im-too-chicken?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:355a628c-c9b4-4298-a257-1c2f728bf449Post:c71bdffe-acbb-4918-b50c-df5a5a969e6f">Re: Taking forever to book my venue bc I'm too chicken</a>:
    [QUOTE]I looked at 13 places before I made a decision. I'm a firm believer that you should never "settle." You only get married for the first time once and I believe it should be perfect. That being said, be careful. Places are booking up a year to a year and half out so if you want a specific place, book it as soon as you can!
    Posted by jpines22[/QUOTE]
    Exactly this.  The best places go so fast!  I was more picky about the floral/event decorator and needed to meet with quite a few vendors about that, like at least 5.  But again, when that 100% happy feeling hit me I always put the deposit down.  We all know that feeling.  Look for that and trust yourself.
  • I also was chicken in booking venue!  Like many others have said, I dont think they can include the vendor discounts in the contract.  However, since it's a small community and venue/vendors are very inter-dependent on each other, I'm sure they will able to work something out.

The good news is...once I picked my venue, I totally embraced it and forgot about the other venues we were considering.  So once you rip off the band-aid and make a choice, you'll be so much less stressed.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You guys are right. I'm doing itttt. Going in Monday and plunking down my first deposit EVER to my first wedding vendor EVER. It's getting real, yo! Aaaaaaahhhhh
  • Congrats! It's an awesome feeling once your date is sealed at a venue.
  • That's great!  Congratulations and enjoy the planning.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards