Favors

Which would you want?

I'm having an October wedding in upstate NY.  The theme is cozy autumn.  My FI  has been brewing beer at home for years and is quite good at it so we're doing that for the favors for the men with personalized lables (featuring a picture of our dog).  Now... for the women/kids/men who don't drink... I was thinking either a candy apple OR a few gingersnaps cutey tied up with personalized ribbon.  Which one ladies? 

Re: Which would you want?

• edited December 2011
    I would not limit the beer to just men. I know quite a few ladies who would be upset if only the men got the beer for a favor. I like the idea of a candy apple as a favor for those who do not drink.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Anniversary
  • Enchanted616Enchanted616 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love the candy apple, so cute.  But I agree the beer shouldnt only be for the men.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Finished BC and not preventing since June 2010.
    Actively trying for baby #1 since July 2011.
    SA completed 5/29/2012. No sperm found.
    11/12: Dx: Congenital Bilateral Absense of the Vas Deferens.
    Genetic Testing needed as this is a mutation of Cystic Fibrosis.
    IVF #1 with ICSI planned for 2013.
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • edited December 2011
    follow up question.... My venue wants to put a favor at each seat and since I'm assigning tables and not specific seats for guests the favors were pretty much going to be beer/apple every/other.  Would it be odd to have an extra table on the way out with extra favors so if the girls would like a bottle of beer or the kids want an extra apple or something, they can grab it on the way out?

I didn't even think about the fact that a lot of the women will like beer.  Great suggestion! Thanks ladies!
  • CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am a beer drinker. So is FI.  I don't want to fight over who gets what.

As for the every seat thing, if you are doing different favors, you need to have enough of everything for each person to get one of each.  Make sense?  150 guests means 150 beer, 150 apples.  It's only fair.
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • unplainjaneunplainjane member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sounds like it's getting complicated. I don't think the favors should be a big deal. I think you should give the beer to everyone (except kids of course). For those that don't drink I'm sure someone at the table would take the extras. Leave a few candy apples/gingersnaps around the table for the non-drinkers.
  • edited December 2011
    I want beer! I'd probably swipe some guy's beer while he is out dancing :) just kidding...well maybe.

I like the candy apples but don't limit the beer to men. I'd be offended when I realized that only men got beer.

EDIT: I'd just contact the venue and say that "Although it is a nice idea to put the favors at each place setting, I have decided to place them on a table by the door so that people could pick what they wanted." Think of this as a candy bar. They could go over and pick up their favor(whatever it may be). I'm sure they have done this before so it shouldn't be a problem.
    Anniversary
  • MilleRsBestMilleRsBest member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Why can't the girls drink beer too?
    someecards.com - What's the difference between peanut butter and jam?
  • edited December 2011
    Just a thought - Is your reception venue ok with you bringing in alcohol?  I'm assuming you are not having a cash bar, but if you are, people will obviously want the free beer over beer they have to buy.  That could cause some issues.  Or are you thinking that people will not drink the beer at the reception but will save it for home?

My brother home brews.  He brewed a couple of different types of beer for us and we served them at the rehearsal dinner.

Other than that, like PP said, you will have to have enough of all of the favors so that each guest can have one of each.  I like beer, but I also like gingersnaps so I would probably end up taking both.

• hanson2Bhanson2B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    First of all, I think you should do ginger snaps instead of candy apples, because candy apples are messy.  Dressed-up people would probably not want a face full of candy mush at the wedding, and even if they take them home, the candy coating could melt and cause a mess.

Second, I think you should just put the favors on a table off to the side -- seems like it would be much easier.  Make you can tell your DJ to make an announcement about them, so people don't miss them on the way out.

Third, in addition to what the PP said, I noticed that on our reception venue/catering contract, it says there is no food or drink allowed in the place, and that open alcohol cannot be taken outside.  So even though I love the beer and ginger snap idea, make sure it's ok with the venue.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Personally, I would set both the candied apples and the beer up in an area where people could just grab it.  If you wanted to do something at the table, you could always do a truffle or something.

As an alternative to the messyness of candied apples.  Martha Stewart actually has an article on her wedding site about mini candied apples, they are a lot easier to eat and less of a mess.  You could look it up to see if it's something you are interested in.
  • edited December 2011
    I think it would look nice to alternate the settings for candy apple and beer. (So I vote candy apple over ginger snaps. They're more fun and cute!) Personally, I would want beer, but it wouldn't be a big deal to me to share with my date or give it up, since it's home brew. You probably don't have enough brew for 150 beers, do you? A few extra of each favor would be a good idea, but I don't see a problem with alternating favors at the table. It would add variety to the place setting too.
  • ki10ki10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Um. I would want the homebrewed beer. Natch. I'd be way into gingersnaps or a candy apple, too, but not as much as the beer. I do agree it's a good idea to have options for kids and those who don't drink, though.
  • edited December 2011
    I would do beer for all of the over 21 guests, candy apples at the under 21 seats, and a basket of candy apples close to the exit with a cute sign saying something encouraging guests to take one or two as they leave.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards