Favors

Cigas as favor, should we have something else too?

So my father is from Cuba and wanted to do cigars as the favor. How would you feel about getting a cigar as a favor? Should we do something else too?

Re: Cigas as favor, should we have something else too?

• edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_cigas-as-favor-should-we-have-something-else-too?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:236df252-adb6-494d-ab3a-c28c275c1d21Post:33fd25be-59a3-42cf-97e0-210ad7dbfb13">Cigas as favor, should we have something else too?</a>:
    [QUOTE]So my father is from Cuba and wanted to do cigars as the favor. How would you feel about getting a cigar as a favor? Should we do something else too?
    Posted by rgomez27941[/QUOTE]

<div>Cigars are great and it is something from your culture which is a nice touch. Since not everyone enjoys cigars, another favor option would be a good idea. Candy bars are a hit at the moment. If you are in need of inspiration ideas for candy bars, I found a great website that provides inspiration images and where to purchase the products to create that dream image. Check it out and good luck to you!</div><div>
    </div><div><a href="http://poppyandpaige.com/products/inspirations" rel="nofollow">http://poppyandpaige.com/products/inspirations</a> </div>
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    As a non-smoking woman, I wouldn't know what to do with a cigar.

It might be nice to have a cigar area after dinner, but I don't think it's an appropriate favor.  You can't go wrong with edible - how about chocolate cigars?  And do the cigars represent you, too?  Because it's your wedding, not your father's.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_cigas-as-favor-should-we-have-something-else-too?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:236df252-adb6-494d-ab3a-c28c275c1d21Post:13c5eadf-9caa-4a09-b1de-f06a58b70c1f">Re: Cigas as favor, should we have something else too?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>As a non-smoking woman, I wouldn't know what to do with a cigar.</strong> It might be nice to have a cigar area after dinner, but I don't think it's an appropriate favor.  You can't go wrong with edible - how about chocolate cigars?  And do the cigars represent you, too?  Because it's your wedding, not your father's.
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]

OP - I'm going to try to be as delicate as possible with this.  Most women don't smoke cigars and thanks to a certain paramour of a former president, cigar + woman = something that I wouldn't want guests to be thinking about at your wedding reception.  If you are going to do this, I would come up with a favor that is unmistakably for the ladies to go with the one for the men.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_cigas-as-favor-should-we-have-something-else-too?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:236df252-adb6-494d-ab3a-c28c275c1d21Post:13c5eadf-9caa-4a09-b1de-f06a58b70c1f">Re: Cigas as favor, should we have something else too?</a>:
    [QUOTE]As a non-smoking woman, I wouldn't know what to do with a cigar. It might be nice to have a cigar area after dinner, but I don't think it's an appropriate favor.  You can't go wrong with edible - how about chocolate cigars?  And do the cigars represent you, too?  Because it's your wedding, not your father's.
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]<div>
    Agree with this.  It is nice to add cigars to the wedding but not as the favors.  Most women and a decent number of men won't touch them.  Have an area where people can smoke them but no one will have to smell them.  Please don't make them the favor.</div><div>
    </div><div>In all honesty, I'd think it was pretty thoughtless to give me a cigar as a favor.  What would I do with that?</div>
  • egm900egm900 member
    First Comment
    We went to a wedding a couple weeks ago where they had a cigar "bar" and it was a huge hit with the men.  The reception was outside though, so I think that helps.  

I see nothing wrong with giving the men a cigar as a favor.  I think the favor should represent the couple and I don't know anyone who walks into a wedding wondering what the favor is, most people are eliminating them as it's difficult to get something that a crowd would want.  I would give the women something else though.
  • Thanks for your thoughts. Again, since my father, myself and his entire family is Cuban I think everyone will really love the cigars. They're also really cute, just wanted to see what noncigar people would think. I guess it's the same thing when people give bubbles, what the heck am I supposse to do with bubbles? Maybe we will do some candy bars too. Thanks.
  • PeavyPeavy member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    GoodLuckBear, you made me laugh!
  • edited May 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_cigas-as-favor-should-we-have-something-else-too?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:236df252-adb6-494d-ab3a-c28c275c1d21Post:64d17eb1-faea-4444-99bb-e547c51ae36a">Re: Cigas as favor, should we have something else too?</a>:
    [QUOTE]GoodLuckBear, you made me laugh!
    Posted by Peavy[/QUOTE]

I immediately imagined a response to a woman asking "What am I supposed to do with this?"  OP might be too young to remember what I'm talking about but there are some things from the Congressional record that I won't repeat and pretty much anything from the Clinton Impeachment covers it.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • janegoodey - apparently you missed the pesky little part of the terms of service where vendors arent allowed to advertise on the boards.  How can you trust a vendor who can't follow rules?  All of your posts advertise the website in your post.

reported.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_cigas-as-favor-should-we-have-something-else-too?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:236df252-adb6-494d-ab3a-c28c275c1d21Post:b3551f18-0981-4776-80f2-94b6ecc9f0b3">Re: Cigas as favor, should we have something else too?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for your thoughts. Again, since my father, myself and his entire family is Cuban I think everyone will really love the cigars. They're also really cute, just wanted to see what noncigar people would think. <strong>I guess it's the same thing when people give bubbles, what the heck am I supposse to do with bubbles?</strong> Maybe we will do some candy bars too. Thanks.
    Posted by rgomez27941[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I always wonder exactly the same thing!!

</div>
  • I personally do not smoke, but my Bubbs does.  So he would enjoy it and thus I would also.   That being said I think that it's a great idea and esp nice that it's representative of your culture.  Have you considered having a cigar roller there to handroll them on site?  That way you don't get stuck with a bunch of leftovers? 

FWIW....favors are not required but are a nice touch.  To me...this is an even nicer touch since it's something close to your family. And you mentioned that many people in your family would enjoy it also. I say GO FOR IT! It's unique....unlike a candy bar.

• I would have a cigar bar area for those who enjoy it, but not as the favor.  But you know your guests better than anybody here.
  • I saw a "cigar rolling station" as wedding entertainment in a wedding magazine.  It was pretty cool - you could watch a professional cigar roller make a cigar in front of you.  That way if you weren't a smoker you could at least get to observe something unique.  This in addition to a cigar bar would be fun for a lot of the guests.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image
  • I wouldn't like this as a favor. Most of the women I know wouldn't smoke a cigar.  I've heard of cigar stations....could you have that instead? 
  • I don't smoke cigars but I think its a great idea. It represents you and your family. Go for it :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards