Favors

Candy Bar...

Ok ok I read the few posts about this before so sorry if I am reasking the same questions.  Here is my dilemma.  Originally I really wanted to have an ice cream bar.. homemade icecream from my favorite place with toppings for people to put on.  Ice cream is my thing, and his family knows it and jokes around with me about it.. if I'm feeling down or upset they just say " she needs her ice cream".  So I thought it would be perfect. My FI and I finally decided it would be too expensive and we would have no idea how much to get.  The other problem is his family doesnt "get" the whole dessert/candy/ice cream thing.  My family is HUGE on dessert to the point that we probably have it after every meal haha.  His family thinks the wedding cake is the only dessert.  When I bring a cake to his house (I bake them for holidays for his family)..that cake will sit in his fridge for like 3 weeks! It wouldnt even last 4 days in my house! 

So now our current dilemma.. the candy bar.  I thought this would be a fun way to include part of a favor from us.  However I am not sure how to go about buying a certain amount.. we would probably by bags of candy from the grocery and save them over time. I was thinking by a bag of m&m's and another candy this week and get another the next time I'm at the store.  My other issue is when I told his mom about it she looked at me like I was crazy.  They just don't understand it! She then said that she thinks if we put candy out at the wedding everyone will be going up taking handfuls throughout the night and she doesnt know how anyone would have any to take home.  What are your thoughts and feelings on all of this craziness and how to help a girl out ;) 

Thanks so much :)

Re: Candy Bar...

• Grits8812Grits8812 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i would put out little bags or boxes and a cute sign saying something polite but straight to the point about only taking your share, so others arent left out. (i have no idea how to say to word this, hopefully others might)

as for his mom, i wouldnt wory about it to much. it is you guys wedding after all, and if that is what you want dont let it stop you. i think it is a cute idea personally.
  • edited December 2011
    That's what we are doing :) Except, to cut costs, I am making mini homemade cookies along with bitesize homemade brownies. It will not only help me lower the cost, but fiancé and I both love anything sweet and it would be more from the heart but at a lower cost.

In order to avoid people pigging out and to make sure that everyone gets some, we all going to ask the reception hall people / caterers to take teh covers off every bowl later in the evening... Probably after the cake so that most people have had their fill of sugar and will want to take a small amount home. And I totally agree abot putting a sign off asking people to be respectful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • harpsdesireharpsdesire member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think a sign is needed-- Just leave the entire table covered with a cloth until after the cake is served, then wisk it off.  The people who pig out will be balanced by those who are already stuffed after dinner and cake.  Make sure the favor containers are smallish, and if you want to restrict people from filling multiple, have your caterer put one at each place when they serve the cake.  Be prepared for a little snacking.

Most adults know not to take more than is reasonable when a treat is offered to a group, and those with no manners will probably just take a lot anyway.  If kids are involved, they won't be even marginally deterred by the sign.

(Learned after one guest filled ~5 favor bags, her pockets, her purse, her coat pockets and her husband's pockets at my sister's wedding... but we still had enough because of all the people who didn't care to partake.)
  • Kate61487Kate61487 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    ditto PPs to go for it if it's what you want to do - don't let his family stop you.  And PPs have good points; you can wait to put the candy out until after dinner, or keep lids on until you're ready.  One tip though:  Make sure, whatever size your containers are, that you have enough candy for your guests to FILL those.  We went to a wedding this summer with a candy bar where the bags were huge and guests filled them completely; the candy was gone before even half the guests made it through.
  • melissak1qmelissak1q member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was originally planning on standard lunch-sized paper bags until I thought, geeze what if someone tries to fill the bag?! I'm going to hunt for smaller snack-sized ones. I think people will be smart enough to figure out not to take it all while others wait. Then again, there's one in every bunch!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards