Favors
Options

Book Favors

Hi there, all!

I'm an English teacher getting married in a Midsummer Night's Dream-esque outdoor wedding in a botanical garden this August. We were looking to give away books as favors - possibly hardcovers that would be incorporated into the centerpieces - but I'm sure that could get very expensive. Any suggestions on where I might find hardcover books cheap? We're in the Boston area.

Thanks!

-J

Re: Book Favors

• Options
    If you haven't asked this on your local board, you may want to cross-list your question there.  The brides in your area might be able to point you in the direction of library sales, local vendors, etc. 

Online, you might want to look at bookcloseouts.com.  I've used them before for gifts and been pleased.  You can limit your searching to only hardcover books, and prices start at about $1.99 per book.
    Anniversary

• Options
    Why not just buy them from Amazon?

Otherwise, Google "used book stores Boston".

TBH, I wouldn't take a book and I don't know too many--if any--people from my circle who would, either.
  • Options
    I agree with PP.  I probably wouldn't take a book.

What about taking a book and ripping pages out (sacriligious, i know), and then doing some sort of origami or other craft with the book page?  you could wrap treats or other items in the book pages as well.  google "wedding favor book pages" in the image search to get some ideas.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_book-favors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:71601cde-7a63-4ddf-9bd3-5fde1c2bdc48Post:db92079e-033f-4e8b-9190-7bf81989525f">Re: Book Favors</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with PP.  I probably wouldn't take a book. What about taking a book and ripping pages out (sacriligious, i know), and then doing some sort of origami or other craft with the book page?  you could wrap treats or other items in the book pages as well.  google "wedding favor book pages" in the image search to get some ideas.
    Posted by gymbugmj2k[/QUOTE]
    I would take a book. FI would take a book. And if they were different, we would take all the books left behind.

If you're thinking about doing books as favors, you probably wouldn't do this, but PLEASE do not do crafts with pages from books. There are so many reasons why you shouldn't do this, but I don't have time to go into that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ChloeaghChloeagh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Also, if you don't have a specific book in mind, maybe go to the recycling center. In my city, there is a dumpster for recycled books, which FI and his dad visit often and take home all sorts of cool, free books. If you found some pages or books with broken bindings there, then it would be okay to make crafts out of them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I think the book favors idea, but I love to read. Have you heard of Freeycle.org? Not sure if they have it where you are, but people list items on there that they are getting rid of, you can also make posts for items you are looking for. You might luck out that way. Or I do think the bookmarks would be a great idea as well. Find a bookmark that goes with your theme and place those on the table. If you're crafty, you could make them yourself. Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards