Favors

Cost of Candy Buffet

FI & I have been talking about having a candy buffet at our reception. I’ve done some research on how many types of candy (anywhere from 5-10 types?) to how much of each candy (the more full the jars are the better).  What we are now trying to figure out is the approximate cost of this. Is anybody willing to share how much they are spending on their candy buffet? I know that there are a lot of factors that may differ between everyone’s but I’m just trying to get a rough idea of what we might be spending. I’ve done a little looking at some bulk candy sites online but was curious what an actual amount spent was at the end – this would include the cost of all candy, jars, scoops, & bags (am I forgetting anything else?). Also I guess it would help to know how many types you’re getting and how much of each type. I don’t need extreme details.. just an idea J  Thanks in advance!  
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cost of Candy Buffet

• twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had 7 types of candy (approx. 1/4 lb per person, and 125 guests), and I think the final cost was between $900 and $1,000.

That said, I wanted very specific jars and had a tablecloth custom-made, so I spent a little more than I needed to. One of my friends had a beautiful vintage-style candy bar that she did for only $200, and she used jars her grandmother already had and mason jars as containers...and hers was a huge hit!
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I spent somewhere between $450.00 & $500.00
    i had 14 different types of Candy & i got my Jars from AC moore & Michaels.
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would say mine was around $400+ also.  I had 10-12 containers (all from TJ Maxx) and like 7-8 types of candy (it's in my bio) and around 70 lbs. of candy.  But I was planning for 140 guests at 1/2 lb. per person and only had around 110 so I had way too much candy.  I would say plan on 1/4 lb. per person.   I used the Chinese takeout containers from Papermart that I decorated myself.  Reducing the candy would have taken around $100+ off the total.  I got my scoops at Wal-Mart. 

That being said, candy buffets are not cheap.  The cheapest online site I found for candy was Metrocandy.com.  Getting regular wrapped candy in season rather than bulk candy in your wedding colors, and buying locally can save some money.
  • edited December 2011
    We have about 12 different candy choices. We have about 85lbs of candy.  We probably spent about $250-$275 for our candy.  Most of it was purchased online, some at Target.  We spent about $35 for all our jars/vases from TJ Maxx.   All red candy......I got lucky and found a great site for my candy and only had to pay $5.00 for shipping.  I had to time it right for the weather and watch the forecast daily to order at the right time.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice ladies! This is really helpful.
    We are expecting about 250 people so I guess candy costs will be more than some amounts given but this will still give us a very good idea at what we're looking at.

We will have a small number of younger children at our wedding. Did you have any issues with grabby hands or jars getting knocked down or anything? I don't expect any issues but was just curious.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours was high enough that very young children couldn't reach it, so no, we didn't have any problems on that front.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • lallen32683lallen32683 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

@ devoted harmony - What was the site where you paid $5 shipping...I'm going crazy trying to find not only the best prices for candy, but also cheap shipping!!!:)

Am I crazy ladies?  I'm having a very small 36 person wedding and was planning on doing a pound a person!?  Tell me if I'm nuts.

Thanks!!!!

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_cost-of-candy-buffet?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:27Discussion:73a2fecb-ae15-4859-b45b-dfafcf0301faPost:f2141616-5515-4734-ac6a-19e1a4993784">Re: Cost of Candy Buffet</a>:
    [QUOTE]@ devoted harmony - What was the site where you paid $5 shipping...I'm going crazy trying to find not only the best prices for candy, but also cheap shipping!!!:) Am I crazy ladies?  I'm having a very small 36 person wedding and was planning on doing a pound a person!?  Tell me if I'm nuts. Thanks!!!!
    Posted by lallen32683[/QUOTE]

I would not do 1pd per person,i did enough candy for about a little more then 3/4 a pd per person and we didnt have alot left over but we did have some,a 1/4 pd- 1/2 a pd per person would be fine.
  • edited December 2011
    lallen32683-    Here is the link to the site I used to get my candy shipped for only $5
    http://www.bulkfoods.com/

They have a nice selection of bulk candy and other bulk foods.

edited December 2011
    I used bulkfoods.com also.  They were very close to being the cheapest but since metrocandy gave me 10% off my first order, even with shipping they were slightly cheaper but not much.  I had a good experience with both.

@lallen, although I do think 1lb. per person is too much for each person, you do want to buy enough candy to make the candy bar look full and attractive--I would think 20 lbs or so could accomplish that.
  • wishonastar01wishonastar01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a couple questions about doing a candy buffet and thought I would tack them on here instead of starting a new post.

When you were deciding on what candy to do for your candy buffet, did you pick candy that matched just your wedding colors or candy you liked? FI and I like certain candy, but many don't fit our wedding colors.

I have read many posts that say to wait in putting out your candy buffet until after the dinner so guests don't go for that right away. We are doing a cocktail hour and dinner in the same room. Any suggestions on how to "hide" the buffet until after dinner?  I worry that even with a cocktail hour and hors d'oeuvre, some may still flock towards the candy, especially the kids.

Thanks in advance,
      Jill
  • edited December 2011
    I was wondering the same thing -- about having the candy out too "early" in the evening... 
    I figure we'll either just have it all set up and ready at the start of cocktail hour, or have everything ready minus the candy in the jars, and then during dinner (while everyone is busy eating) see if one of the catering people can help to fill the jars according to a picture/drawing of what goes in what... 

In terms of deciding what kinds of candy, I think we are going to try and get candy that matches our colors. Browsing some of the candy websites they have specific areas where you can find candy by color. 

Our wedding is a little over a year away, so who knows.. things could change.. but so far FI & I are pretty excited to have this at our reception! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    My venue set out my candy buffet after the cake cutting and toasts (which were after dinner).  I thought that was the perfect time. 

I wanted a candy buffet to match our elegant theme so I did an all white candy buffet.  My color palette was champagne, black and ivory. 
  • edited December 2011

I did not buy online but shopped with a local wholesale candy store(BA sweeties). we bought 5lbs each of 15 diff types of candy(all red, black & white-our wedding colors). I bought the glass jars at the dollar store(smaller ones) and the larger ones at Flower Factory for $3-$7each. I also got several 3 -packs of clear scoops for $1 each at Flower Factory. All together it was about $400 roughly.

• edited December 2011
    On this same topic, did you put something at each persons seat to let them know that there was a candy buffet? I just dont want people leaving without knowing...what is the best way to let them know other than having it close to the exit?
    344image 200image 144image 0imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    Carrie, my venue just set mine out in the hallway outside the ballroom after the cake.  I don't think there was any announcement or anything, but you could have your DJ announce it.  People just find them on their own!
  • CA2MT4EveRCA2MT4EveR member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Adults should be mature enough to not fill up on candy- it's not something to worry about.  And parents should have an eye on their children so they are not playing in it.

Please stick with the default font. That tiny purple crap is hard to read
    dont make ur password so easy. gbck2CA2 hahahaha
  • edited December 2011
    ... sorry.. that purple "crap" was default from a different computer... i couldn't change it.... 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards