Favors
Options

Wine as a favor

Hi! I want to give wine as a favor at my wedding. Can anyone reccommend a good wine that is not too expensive? Thanks!!

Re: Wine as a favor

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not really a wine fanatic so I don't have any recommendations. I just wanted to make sure you had thought about what you would do for underage guests? They can't have this favor. How will you control the underage guests from drinking or taking the favor? What about for the people that don't drink? They are left out.  Just some things to think about.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    AbbeyS2011AbbeyS2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you have a Trader Joe's near you, I would suggest "Two Buck Chuck", which carries a variety of wines.  I do not remember the actual name, but if you Google the nickname, it will come up.

I would suggest having more than one favor - you likely will have underage guests, ones who do not drink at all, or recovering alcoholics where wine would not be a suitable favor for them.

I think if you wanted to gift your WP with wine, that would be a nice gesture, but it would be difficult to gauge what a couple hundred of guests are going to like or want.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    trader joes has some really nice inexpensive ones, if you have one in your area.
    this artical is really cool it's 20 good wines under ten dollars
    http://wine.about.com/od/byprice/tp/ValueWinesunder10.htm
  • Options
    jagore08jagore08 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Two Buck Chuck is Charles Shaw wine.  It's actually pretty decent.
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    kikibabykikibaby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm drinking 2 buck chuck at this moment!  I can tell you that the California Chardonnay is fantastic.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have no idea if this wine is good or not, but this winery near where I live does personalized labels:

http://www.lakelandwinery.com/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lucky Duck at walmart...and the bottle is really cute. Also Oak Grove from Walmart isn't half bad. I researched it last night for you Wink
    Anniversary
  • Options
    BikerBabyzBikerBabyz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would suggest making your own wine. Check to see if you have any local "bottle your own's" places near you. The local make your own wine where I live also allows you to make your own beer and soda too. If you have underage guests who can not have the alcohol, you could always make them some soda. You can have your own personalized labels made for them at the brewery too!

Another idea to make sure only the guests of legal drinking age take the wine as a favor, the bottles can play double duty as your seating card assignments!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We were going to do this. However, did you check your contract for your venue and/or local laws? Here in Massachusetts it's illegal. We also looked at a place in Rhode Island that wouldn't let us bring it in, even as a favor given out as the guests left.

That being said, I found several websites that gave pony bottles of wine (think the four packs of Sutter Homes) and you could add your own label. We figured it worked out (with label) to like $3 a bottle and then everyone (minors not included) could have their own. At the time we'd give those under 21 a Jones soda or a cider or something.

http://www.weddingwinefavors.com/WeddingWineFavors/

But I'm sure you could go the DIY route and get it even cheaper from a liquor store or whole sale club like B.J.'s

Editted: I second the Two Buck Chuck! Here in MA it's "Charles Shaw" vineyard and it's $2.99...they also have some delicious resielings and merlots for all under $5!! I love love love Trader Joes!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Bio/Blog 151 Invitedimage 108 Yes!image 22 No :-(image 21 Are turning me into a bridezilla!image RSVP Date Sept. 16
  • Options
    elassembleeelassemblee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we're thinking about doing the same - we're going to buy in bulk from a local winery, and then put it in bottles ourselves. That's the plan at the moment anyway!

the questions I haven't resolved yet are:
    1. what is the label going to look like? we don't want our pictures on it, nor anything too cheesy...
    2. normal-sized bottles, or half bottles? half ones look nicer I think and wil lbe easier for our guests to transport, but we have loads of normal ones at home...

we weren't going to have anything for the kids - we're having a kid's table, where we'll put lots of candies and things, so I think that's enough. And we don't have recovering alcoholics either, so that's fine!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards