Favors
Options

Sun Parasol Favors

We are having an outdoor daytime wedding. I am going to have a couple of baskets of parasols as one of our favors. Our ceremony and reception is going to be outside. The ceremony and reception is going to be in the same gardens, but in different areas of the garden. Our ceremony is going to be short (15 minutes).

Do you think that I should have the parasols out at the ceremony, and then move any leftovers to the reception, or just have them at the reception?

We were just worried that they would be annoying at the ceremony, because the people in the back could not see.

Thanks.

Re: Sun Parasol Favors

• Options
    shortee426shortee426 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't put them out at the ceremony.  I'd be a sad panda if I couldn't see you say your vows because the person in front of me was holding their parasol open.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    mgietler76mgietler76 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What would the men receive as a favor? I don't know any man who would use a parasol.

Also shortee has a good point about not being able to see the vows if everyone had an open parasol.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is one of those ideas that sounds better in your head than it turns out IRL.  Sorry, but I think sun parasols went out with Gone With the Wind.  They make for a cute photo op, and make a cute toy for little girls.  But I think you'd be better finding a more user friendly favor for all of your guests~men included. 

My DH, son, and SIL would never in a million years hold a "sun parasol".
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just to point one thing out, I did say that this was going to be one of the favors.

So, I know that men most likely won't want a parasol. We are also going to have.. you may think it is stupid.. hand fans. Also we are going to have pottery made by my step father, who happens to be a very good potter. And we are going to have little boxes of candy.

I have never seen Gone With the Wind, but I didn't think that they had chinese sun parasols in it. Smile

Thank you for your advice everyone. I will be having parasols, but will think twice about having them at my ceremony.
  • Options
    lauraf1202lauraf1202 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was at a wedding where they had these as favors!  It made for very picturesque moments, but word of warning-- if you will have little ones at your wedding, it might turn into sword fighting pretty quickly.  Maybe they were too hopped up on sugar or something. 
  • Options
    kimp67kimp67 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I voted to save them for the reception.  Since you're having fans I think I would put those out before the ceremony in case it's hot.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Kimp, that is a great idea. I will talk it over with FI and see what he thinks about having the fans out during the ceremony and the parasols out during the reception. Thanks.
  • Options
    DianitaDianita member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If your ceremony is outdoors you should have something to give shade set up for the guests anyways (think especially of older people) if its hot outside 15 minutes can seem like 50 anyway. but as for the parasoles, save it for the reception. i have a friend who did this, although there weren´t enough for everybody, but they were a hit. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards