Favors

Craft Beer as favor

Hello Ladies!

My fiance is a (very good) homebrewer and we were thinking of giving each guest..or each couple, a bottle of a special "wedding" beer that he will personally make. We're not just talking a standard 12oz bottle...more like a 22oz speciality bottle, maybe even a bottle with a champagne style cork. We'll both design the labels.

Does this seem weird to anyone? All said and done..each bottle could cost between $4-$10 depending on which route we take. Is is crappy to give only 1 per couple?

Re: Craft Beer as favor

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_craft-beer-favor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:cde82cff-7127-4762-857f-241bb43a5b0aPost:6e57eadb-439c-4a93-a0a7-da07652a6be8">Craft Beer as favor</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello Ladies! My fiance is a (very good) homebrewer and we were thinking of giving each guest..or each couple, a bottle of a special "wedding" beer that he will personally make. We're not just talking a standard 12oz bottle...more like a 22oz speciality bottle, maybe even a bottle with a champagne style cork. We'll both design the labels. Does this seem weird to anyone? All said and done..each bottle could cost between $4-$10 depending on which route we take. Is is crappy to give only 1 per couple?
    Posted by Jenesis718[/QUOTE]
    You need to take all of your guests into consideration.  What about the people that don't drink or the ones that don't like beer?

How will you guarantee that your guests will only take one per couple or one per person? 

Does your reception venue have a policy about outside food/drinks?  You might not even be able to bring the beer to the reception to hand out as favors.

My brother is a home brewer, and he brewed up a special beer for H and I to serve at our rehearsal dinner.  It went over really well.  Maybe consider that as an option.
  • graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp. If you want to use your own brew, I'd serve it at the bar with a special sign or something to say that it is from you to them. There are a lot of people who don't drink or like beer who would feel left out if you gave it as a favor. 
    Photobucket
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Friends of mine did this for their favor.  They did the regular 12 oz. bottle and did one per person.  From what everyone said they though it was a really cute idea, even if they didn't like beer or their brew.  But with most favors there are people at your wedding who won't care for them.  Neither of my parents drink beer so they didn't take their favors, and there were plenty of guests who were beyond happy to scoop up all the leftover bottles.  

I do also like the option of serving it at your wedding if you can.  I know that wouldn't have been possible at my venue though.  If you do choose to do it as a favor though I would look into making it cheaper if you can, unless you are okay spending that much on favors.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • kmd0501kmd0501 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i had thought the same because my godfather makes his own beer and my aunt is a graphic designer and they offered to make the favors as a gift with personalized labels but I agreed that since we will probably be having alot of younger kids at our wedding that wasnt the best idea.  I am thinking of doing personalized soda bottles (Jones Soda makes some very cute ones in fun flavors!)  I agree that so many times people leave favors behind and you can only accumulate so many wedding candles and M&M's, so I love that your thinking outside of the box!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • stephasuasustephasuasu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who cares if some people don't drink? Some people also won't eat chocolates or other candies if you have an edible favor, so do something that fits with you and your husband. Not everyone will love the favor, especially if it is something you eat or drink. 
  • kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_craft-beer-favor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:cde82cff-7127-4762-857f-241bb43a5b0aPost:a52ffc56-34e6-41dc-9530-2a95047a0962">Re: Craft Beer as favor</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Craft Beer as favor : <strong>You need to take all of your guests into consideration.  What about the people that don't drink or the ones that don't like beer? </strong>How will you guarantee that your guests will only take one per couple or one per person?  Does your reception venue have a policy about outside food/drinks?  You might not even be able to bring the beer to the reception to hand out as favors. My brother is a home brewer, and he brewed up a special beer for H and I to serve at our rehearsal dinner.  It went over really well.  Maybe consider that as an option.
    Posted by frogurt814[/QUOTE]

How is a beer favor different from any other favor? What about diabetics or people who don't like sweets/chocolate, if the favors are candy? Your argument doesn't make any sense.

OP - I think it's an awesome idea and would love to receive that as  a favor.
    imageimageimage
  • kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_craft-beer-favor?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:cde82cff-7127-4762-857f-241bb43a5b0aPost:a50135c9-8c0e-4cc4-85cd-96ea5a406fbc">Re: Craft Beer as favor</a>:
    [QUOTE]Who cares if some people don't drink? Some people also won't eat chocolates or other candies if you have an edible favor, so do something that fits with you and your husband. Not everyone will love the favor, especially if it is something you eat or drink. 
    Posted by stephasuasu[/QUOTE]

I swear I didn't read this before I posted my (incredibly similar) response!
    imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    I think this is a great favor idea, and I would love to get that at a wedding! Agreed with PP about not everybody liking every favor. You'll go crazy trying to find something that EVERYONE will love!
  • jerseydeviljerseydevil member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think this is a great idea, also! You can always just put the bottles out on a table on the way out and put tags on them with the couple's name. I have seen wine done this way. And to note - FI and I only drink white wine and the favor was red. We were not offended, just took the bottle and now we have a bottle of red wine for guests and to cook with, so don't sweat the people who won't drink it themselves. You can't make everybody happy.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards