Favors
Options

I am I the only one that thinks this is gross...

We decided we wanted to do hugs and kisses wrapped in organza as our favors. We are getting married this fall and decided it would be better to wait until the fall colored ones come out and we stressed that to my fmil.  Well she called us a couple weeks ago and said she found ones that have purple and orange wrappers (my colors are plum, choc. brown, burnt orange and rustic red)  so she decided to buy bags of hugs and kisses with the silver wrappers and unwrap all of them and rewrap them in the purple and orange wrappers...I find this absoulety disgusting and DO NOT want them out at the wedding.  I would never eat something like that if i found out how they got wrapped....

I have no idea what to do...I'm just frustrated that she went and did this behind our back after we told her what we wanted and my fiancee won't stand up to her about it. 

One of my bridesmaids said she would just make them disappear that day before anyone notices them..
I feel like I'm having a bridezilla moment.

Re: I am I the only one that thinks this is gross...

• Options
    It's definitely a bit odd that they were wrapped and re-wrapped. It's annoying, but honestly I wouldn't stress over it. Just take it in stride (and buy some back-ups if it still gets to you!)
  • Options
    Blech!  Several problems:  1.)  They won't look the same re-wrapped, 2.)  it's quite likely the  chocolate could be stale if it sits now for several months, 3.) the aforementioned blech -- I wouldn't want to eat candy that had been handled like that.

I don't think this is a bridezilla moment.  If she really insists on doing this, tell her you'll be doing the organza packaging yourself (with bridesmaids, etc.) and ask her to deliver the re-wrapped <shudder /> candy, send it over with FI, etc.  Then just proceed as planned in buying the fall ones and making the favors with *fresh* candy.  And bury the rewrapped ones in the trash?  I hate the waste of it, but ... at least it's better than wasting candy AND organza AND ribbon by having to make a full duplicate set.
  • Options
    Please tell me she plans on wearing gloves when she does this....
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    Oh, gosh - wouldn't it be horrible if you accidently spilled a bunch of coffee or soda on the candy as you were rewrapping it at your house?  Oh, that would be so sad.  I would be doing whatever is necessary to make sure your guests don't get those.  And pooh on your FI for not dealing with it!
  • Options
    She already has them all wrapped up in the organza and ready to go, so I think I'm just going to have them magically disappear *cough* bridesmaid throwing them away *cough* lol  She did not wear gloves and she has a small dog that is into everyting as well. 
  • Options
    I'm so confused. If there were already kisses wrapped in the colors, why would you take other kisses and re-wrap them? I'm really confused by this.
  • Options
    Dude. Nasty.

Get rid of those atrocious things, and order the kisses in the same colors, and don't tell her what you did. I am the last person who'd tell you to waste food (particularly chocolate) but that is SO against health code, even if she's the cleanest person ever with the cleanest hands. And it was totally not cool of her to  do that behind your back.

If the groom won't stand up to her on this, he's not going to stand up to her on much else, so get creative about these things now and have a laugh whenever you have to use your new creative tactics. She just wanted to help, I bet, and has no idea how inappropriate this was. Tell her that you appreciate her help, although you would have preferred to do things differently and expect to make decisions differently in the future. Best practice: bond with her by telling her that you want to keep the secret between you two, so she doesn't brag to your guests about re-wrapping candy (SO GROSS!!!!) after you've gone to the trouble and expense of replacing it.

I almost had the worst mother in law in the world so I have many tricks up my sleeve. Feel free to contact if you need more.
  • Options
    Nasty and ew. 

I think those should sadly get left in the back seat of your car and <gasp, oh no!> the will melt. And be unusable. Too bad. 

But at least you can salvage the bags, probably. 

• Options
    I agree with your bridesmaid.....and you are totally not being a bridezilla!  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    that. is. disgusting.
  • Options
    I like the hot car idea!!!
  • Options
    The hot car idea is a good one. I feel like her heart might have been in the right place to do that for you guys (imagine how long it must have took to unwrap and wrap all those?!) but at the same time that was a pretty gross and crazy thing to do. I imagine she probably didn't ask anyone's opinion before she actually did the deed- otherwise a smart person would've told her NO! Bad idea! I would definitely "forget" them in the back seat of your car.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Dark Chocolate hershey kisses come wrapped in the purple.  I'm not sure what the orange would be other than last year's Halloween stash.

I can't eat Dark Chocolate due to migraines so I wouldn't even open the purple ones because I would assume that's what they were.

Personally I like the hot car idea.  Saves her feelings while protecting your guests from possibly stale, unsanitary and confusing treats.
  • Options
    She should have just wrapped them with the wrappers still on. Double wrappers. Much more sanitary. Plus they'll be all stale by the time of the wedding. I'm sure it was all well intentioned. She was just trying to help. I am totally with WillyWally on this one. Leave them in the car and be super apologetic and tell her what a great idea it was. Just make sure you get a replacement favor before she tries to make you more!
    "Love is like a butterfly; It goes where it pleases and pleases where it goes" David & Roxy March 2, 2013 Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards