Favors

Favors - Gift Baskets and??? Would like suggestions please!!

We are having a destination wedding.  We are flying in our friends and family and hosting them at The Venetian Hotel in Las Vegas.  

Our wedding will be a three day event.  We want to make this a memorable time for our guests.

We have planned the following to be in each guest suite:

We are also having Red Canoe (a great Canadian company) create a custom t-shirt and ball cap for us to give to our guests.  Each male guest will receive a brown t-shirt/ball cap and each female guest will receive a pink t-shirt/ball cap.

Too much?  Other suggestions or additions?? 

Re: Favors - Gift Baskets and??? Would like suggestions please!!

• kristinanddankristinanddan member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You're putting 700 worth of gift baskets in each room? Honestly, it seems way overboard. And how are your guests going to bring all that home?
    imageimageimage
  • besideherbesideher member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah we are planning on it.  The entire wedding is a bit over board actually but it is Vegas and go big or go home. 

You see our guests are being flown to and from Vegas in a private plane.  So there are no baggage requirements that we need to worry about.  The plane is being graciously arranged for us as a wedding gift by our friend and we thought that the items we chose for the gift baskets would mainly be used over the course of the three days. 

I don't see people taking the fruit etc, home with them.  In fact, most of the things there are things to munch on and really the Vegas wine/t-shirts and cap would be to take home with them.  We want to pamper our guests and make this special for them  but them leaving with wine and t-shirts/cap doesn't seem like much.

• shortee426shortee426 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Some of these items aren't really appropriate for this situation, in my opinion.

What are you guests going to do with 90% of the items in the "Girls night out" basket"?  And I don't know how I would feel about someone leaving a Kama Sutra basket for me, unless it was my HM.  Even then I'd feel a little awkward about it.

I'm not trying to be snarky...those were genuine questions/comments.

I personally think you are going above and beyond if you left just the fruit/snack basket with the Vegas wine in people's rooms.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    If I had the means, I'd do something like that... maybe not quite to this extreme, put pampering would be a nice thing to be able to do.

When it comes to how people chose to spend their money, he always says things are relative. I remember seeing a Hermès suitcase for $26K. My initial thought was "who the hell pays that amount for luggage?" My FI didn't have that thought. Instead he stated that people who pay that kind of money for a suitcase had an income-to-suitcase cost similiar to if we went out and bought the same dimension suitcase, but ours was $175. Basically, people who drop $26K on a suitcase, that's like "pocket change" to those people just as my FI sees $175 as "pocket change" in relation to his income. His caveat to his view is if the person is living beyond their means, or in this case, digging themselves into debt for a "go big or go home" wedding.... then they are a fool and should be shot for their stupidity.

Meanwhile, even $175 is still a large chunk of money to me... there were times when I was growing up where I ate baked potatoes and/or ramen noodles for dinner for a week or two.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favors-gift-baskets-would-like-suggestions-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:e28456d1-8142-48ff-97b2-cd57af599639Post:03b9564b-6b13-4e6e-9c1c-ae2616f36eb4">Re: Favors - Gift Baskets and??? Would like suggestions please!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Some of these items aren't really appropriate for this situation, in my opinion. What are you guests going to do with 90% of the items in the "Girls night out" basket"?  And I don't know how I would feel about someone leaving a Kama Sutra basket for me, unless it was my HM.  Even then I'd feel a little awkward about it. I'm not trying to be snarky...those were genuine questions/comments. I personally think you are going above and beyond if you left just the fruit/snack basket with the Vegas wine in people's rooms.
    Posted by shortee426[/QUOTE]

<div>Every suite will have obviously have a girl in it and a guy.  The night prior to the ceremony we will be having a joint bachelor/bachelorette party.  It was thought that the girls would use some of those items for that night.  So that is why the girl/guy baskets are there (which I probably should have explained).</div><div>
    </div><div>As for the Kama Sutra kits, those would be going in our friends rooms (who would not only get a kick out of them but also likely try everything in it because our friends are like that) but obviously we wouldn't be putting the kits in say our parents suites.</div>
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_favors_favors-gift-baskets-would-like-suggestions-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:27Discussion:e28456d1-8142-48ff-97b2-cd57af599639Post:4315430c-e4c4-46bf-aaca-9b0e22579ec2">Re: Favors - Gift Baskets and??? Would like suggestions please!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]If I had the means, I'd do something like that... maybe not quite to this extreme, put pampering would be a nice thing to be able to do. When it comes to how people chose to spend their money, he always says things are relative. I remember seeing a Hermès suitcase for $26K. My initial thought was "who the hell pays that amount for luggage?" My FI didn't have that thought. Instead he stated that people who pay that kind of money for a suitcase had an income-to-suitcase cost similiar to if we went out and bought the same dimension suitcase, but ours was $175. Basically, people who drop $26K on a suitcase, that's like "pocket change" to those people just as my FI sees $175 as "pocket change" in relation to his income. His caveat to his view is if the person is living beyond their means, or in this case, digging themselves into debt for a "go big or go home" wedding.... then they are a fool and should be shot for their stupidity. Meanwhile, even $175 is still a large chunk of money to me... there were times when I was growing up where I ate baked potatoes and/or ramen noodles for dinner for a week or two.
    Posted by AquarianDragon[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>You are very true it is all relative whether it is wedding favors or suitcases.  </div><div>
    </div><div><div>My FI is very resourceful and practical because she has had times in her life where she has gone without food to keep a roof over her head.  She always dreamed of a special wedding and I plan on giving that to her.   </div><div> </div></div><div>I am very fortunate to have the means to pamper my FI, our guests, to have a go big or go home wedding.  What we are spending on this wedding is a lot of money by anyone's standards but it is within my personal means.  I won't have to borrow from family or be going into debt for the wedding because my personal belief is that unless it is a mortgage, debt is irresponsible because you aren't truly living within your means and you are setting yourself up for problems down the road.</div><div>
    </div><div>With regards to the gift baskets.  Would it be best to perhaps have them delivered at different times so as to not just plunk a bunch of them down and say here you go!</div><div>
    </div><div>Say maybe:</div><div>
    </div><div>The guest arrives, the fruit basket is there with a note from my FI and I.  </div><div>
    </div><div>That night we are all going out to one of the restaurants so while we are there, the Girls Night Out basket and Guys Bestfriend basket are delivered along with the t-shirts/caps from Red Canoe.  So when they go back to their room to get ready for the Jack/Jill they are there.</div><div>
    </div><div>While we are out at the Jack/Jill we could have the Kama Sutra kits delivered to our friends rooms.  So they are there when they get back.</div><div>
    </div><div>Then the night of the wedding, we could have the Vegas Wine and maybe something else wedding souvenir related delivered to take home with them.  </div><div> </div><div>Then the gifts would be staggered more targeted to the events that would be unfolding .....</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • shortee426shortee426 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Eh...I'm not sure if it makes a difference whether they are staggered or left all at once.

If you have the means to provide all of this and that's what you want to spend your money on then by all means go for it.  However, you asked if it was too much so I said that I thought it was.  But it seems important to you that you do it all, so do it all.

Will you leave little notes with each basket so guests know that certain ones have specific uses?
    Anniversary
  • besidethembesidethem member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about making up your own personalized gift baskets.  I know you two have been talking about that.  Are you still thinking about it or is this what you are doing now?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards